LPGS build

/ LPGS build
I checked half a dozen different ones purposely avoiding any light duty ones and kept getting numbers in the low to mid 50s per foot. The first time I tried it I knew it was too dry but had to give it a go anyway. The other 2 attempts were after rain. Been maintaining 1/4 mile of gravel lane for 30 yrs with a back blade, just new to using the LP

/ LPGS build
Brian, I've been searching to find units in the 200 lbs per ft you mention and keep coming up empty, nothing even close.

And I just realized part of what was going on....I missed the part of per foot of width, I was counting per foot of cutting edge. That doubles my numbers to properly compare with yours. I'm right at 600 lbs on a 3' wide machine, so that gives me the 200 lbs per ft you mention. And as I stated, is none too heavy and feels like it could use another 100 lbs per ft or more.

Everything I find comes up at 100 or less per ft. Land Pride's 25 series (their heaviest) came in at 108 per ft

/ LPGS build #34  
Brian, I've been searching to find units in the 200 lbs per ft you mention and keep coming up empty, nothing even close.

And I just realized part of what was going on....I missed the part of per foot of width, I was counting per foot of cutting edge. That doubles my numbers to properly compare with yours. I'm right at 600 lbs on a 3' wide machine, so that gives me the 200 lbs per ft you mention. And as I stated, is none too heavy and feels like it could use another 100 lbs per ft or more.

Everything I find comes up at 100 or less per ft. Land Pride's 25 series (their heaviest) came in at 108 per ft

Road Boss may be the only one left,:confused3: I know I did a hydraulic set for a 6000 series JD that maintains the Goodyear proving grounds roads in Texas, and a Road Boss LPGS is what they use. You are talking 8 hours a day, everyday. That says something to me. ;)

Sometimes the ground is simply to hard, but I guess you could add some weight and see what happens.

As far as the LP 25 series, you're right, it is light as are most of the units now days. They still work and that is why they are able to sell them, they just don't work as well. As we all know, weight is king when it comes to grading. :thumbsup:

/ LPGS build
Now with frost well set in for the winter, this will be parked till spring until I can play with it further. I did have one chance to try it with some extra weight. I added about 200lbs of concrete slabs. It made a difference but I still want to try it heavier. In the spring, I'm going to load it down as much as the 3pt hitch will lift and see how it works. I expect to have to load weight on the front to keep it down while pulling it

/ LPGS build
Finally got around to grading my lane for the first time this spring about 4 weeks later than I wanted. Instead of the extra concrete weight I had on last fall, I added the 250 lbs slab of steel that I use for extra weight in the back of the truck for the winter. That puts it right at 850 lbs for a 3' wide cut. I also lowered the front blade to its lower setting, now at 2.5" below the runners. I'll likely still add some more weight to see what I think. Weight is definitely your friend with one of these, the more the better.

About 8 passes over the lane and I was able to get most of the potholes worked out for now. I expect them to come back but with it now out of winter storage, it will be easier to grade again. I know my lane wasn't built properly to begin with so its an ongoing battle.

ForumRunner_20150517_144643.png