LS Frame Issue Video

/ LS Frame Issue Video #41  
Now I'm worried! Took my week old new-to-me R3039 out for a spin (just driving it) and thought I smelled something funny like brakes or plastic.

Discovered fan is rubbing the bottom of radiator shroud. There are pads on each side of frame that look like they protect from the axle from making contact ... there is a cross member in that area too and it looks like there may be a crack starting from the bottom of frame growing up.

Is this the same area as the video you guys saw? I never was able to view it.

/ LS Frame Issue Video #42  
Now I'm worried! Took my week old new-to-me R3039 out for a spin (just driving it) and thought I smelled something funny like brakes or plastic.

Discovered fan is rubbing the bottom of radiator shroud. There are pads on each side of frame that look like they protect from the axle from making contact ... there is a cross member in that area too and it looks like there may be a crack starting from the bottom of frame growing up.

Is this the same area as the video you guys saw? I never was able to view it.

I watched the video too long ago to recall the details. Either way, I'd call your dealer immediately, and not use the tractor until they've looked at it.

/ LS Frame Issue Video #43  
How much did you pay for your ferguson? I'll bet it wasn't $29,000. and i'll bet you have had parts fail on it also. maybe nothing major but metal is metal and mechanical things sometimes fail. So you think your old, cheap, worn out tractor is better. It probably will never have a mechanical failure either because its yours. good for you.
lol don't get all upset pal! I have decide to look into backhoes, Industrial ones. My Ferguson has been in my family from new! I know whats wrong with it and parts are very cheap! As a matter a fact, I can completely rebuild (restore) it for less then 1/2 of your so quoted 29k! And have a great piece of American built history! Yes every thing has Mechanical Failure, but I'm sorry I'm not spending 29k on a new tractor and having to worry about the frame braking. Especially when the Ferguson is 60 years old and still runs, never has had a rebuild and still has good compression!

/ LS Frame Issue Video #44  
I got my 3039 back from the dealer where LS replaced the subframe and reinforced it with a kit that looks like this:
LS3039_reinforce.jpg

The 3039 I recently bought used from a dealer had the issue another person in this thread mentioned where something was wrong with the frame and the radiator fan was contacting the fan shroud. LS made it right and I'm happy. The old farts all cautioned me on buying a tractor that wasn't Orange, Red or Green ... all I can say is LS stood by their product and I couldn't be happier!

/ LS Frame Issue Video #45  
So I started hearing the dreaded fan hitting the shroud noise this weekend.....

Discovered 2 cracks, one either side....

2014-06-22 23.14.49.jpg

2014-06-22 23.15.16.jpg

/ LS Frame Issue Video #46  
Yikes! I wonder how something like this could be happening? Poor steel or too thin? I'm also thinking maybe my R4041 has thicker steel in this area....? Maybe we should all go out and measure respective thicknesses to see if there is a difference. Keep us posted Mangus! Good luck.
Tom

/ LS Frame Issue Video #47  
So I started hearing the dreaded fan hitting the shroud noise this weekend.....

Discovered 2 cracks, one either side....

Bummer....let us know what the dealer says.

/ LS Frame Issue Video #48  
Looking at the pictures again. .. I wonder if it's something to do with the weld. Both cracks start where the edge of the weld is for the axle mounting plate.

/ LS Frame Issue Video #49  
Looking at the pictures again. .. I wonder if it's something to do with the weld. Both cracks start where the edge of the weld is for the axle mounting plate.

It also looks like the axle has been hitting the stop on the frame on each side from running on really uneven ground or even deep low areas. That isn't anything the OP or anyone else can really help it shouldn't hurt the tractor at all as tractors have been doing this for years, but as the weight of the tractor (or full loader load) pushes down on the frame and the frame is resting on a stationary point (the axle) it would stress the frame, right there in front of the weld and also behind the point of contact with the axle.
Heck that would make sense to me.

/ LS Frame Issue Video #50  
Is the fix -plates bolted on, or do they also weld it? I would think that plates just bolted on can slip a bit. It would be awfully hard to get the tolerance good enough to take out all of the play. That's why I hope it is welded first then reinforced.
I have a TC30 and after I bought it used, I discovered that the ones with backhoes were having breaks in the housing where the backhoe frame was bolted. I was glad I didn't have a backhoe at that point.
The LS 3039 is a fine tractor- I almost bought one before I changed my mind and bought used for much less. If memory serves me, the 3039 has an excellent bucket lifting capacity. I wonder if that worked against them- design flaw in mis-matching FEL and tractor frame?
LS is on the ground floor and most likely will work with their customers to keep them coming through the door to buy. The color is just fine, looks like a New Holland if I squint!