Lynch Pins Coming Off

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off
When you all were talking about safety wire my mind went to rebar wire ties. They are very cheap and quick. The aviation wire tire is better but expensive. This video will show them on rebar but transfer the info to the lynch pins.

That was a really cool video and great to know. Thanks for sharing!

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #142  
Fixit 1
I use flat washers on mine between the arm or link & the lock pin. I have noticed the arm or link works the lock pin out of the hole in the pin. It works for me, also a little squirt of Fluid Film on the pins seems to help. Cheers!!
I hadn't had any issues until I got my flail. It was using hair pins and I'd lost one of those: I tried hunting down replacement link pins but was unscuccessful, so stuck with these hair pins. They seemed a little on the small side and I got to wondering whether it didn't get ground up in the manner that you describe. I started using washers and have not had an issue since. Well... I did have a top link pin pop out after a crappy/weak lynch pin I was using decided it had had enough: nothing hitting that pin up there; it just popped out because of a lot of action with the floating top link connection there (and I have a shimmed up cat1 pin in a cat2 top link hole on the flail).

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #143  
I have put this story on here before. And it really wasn't the lynch pin but the result would be the same.

About twenty years ago my then 70-something mother called me and in a panicked voice told me to come to her house right now. I figured she had shot somebody or something and broke all speed limits getting there. To make a long story short the lynch pin hadn't come off, but the nut holding the bolt on the left 3-pt had come off. The result was the same as the lynch pin being lost. She had reached the end of the field and turned sharply holding the left brake and the mower had caught on the left tire. By the time she got the tractor stopped the mower was resting against the left time and the blade had cut thru the tire three times. When I got on the tractor, and a 4600 Ford is tall for it's hp, I could reach out my arm and grab the blade while facing forward on the tractor. Had to pull the mower off the tractor with my truck, have a guy come out and replace the tire, and straighten the lower arms using a torch.

When mowing I check my pins every time I get off my tractor.

RSKY
Anyone who has a Kioti NX (not sure about other models) needs to check the keeper bolts holding the pins for the link arms: I loctite'd mine (gave recommendation to dealer to do the same- who removes them?) I had one pop out and the pin came out (fortunately it shot out and on to the ledge under the PTO, where the drawbar goes). Looked back while running up a slight bank to see the rear corner of the brush hog toward the top of the rear tire! BH wasn't engaged but it still freaked me out. I had been wondering why the BH had been scalping a bit and I had to keep adjusting (whenever something doesn't seem right it's because it's probably NOT right!).

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #144  
It started out as a jerry rigged solution but I’ve had good luck with 4 gauge copper ground wire for pins. You can bend it in place without tools and I’ve not had anything close to the problems with it coming off vs Lynch pins. A bolt and nylon nut is the most durable solution but also the hardest to install/remove.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #145  
I've mentioned this earlier but a picture is worth 1000 words. These are easy to make and use and easily prevent the lynch pins from being pulled out by branches and weeds. Also no tools needed.

Attachments

• Farm King Mower 1.jpg
    Farm King Mower 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • Farm King Mower 2.jpg
    Farm King Mower 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
   / Lynch Pins Coming Off #146  
What is it made of, is it just a big washer and a cut-off piece of 2" pipe?

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #147  
What is it made of, is it just a big washer and a cut-off piece of 2" pipe?
A large 1" washer with a piece of 2 1/2" OD muffler pipe welded on. The washer also has a 2 1/2" OD. Each piece of muffler pipe is ground out to fit a particular lynch pin setup. You'll notice in the second picture that the washer is tilted to enable the lynch pins removal. If the washer isn't tilted the lynch pin won't come out. It's a bit of a pain installing the lynch pin until you realize that the washer needs to be tilted just a little less before the lynch pin will slide in. Also everything needs to be alligned just right for the lynch pin to be removed. The chances of that happening I figure are pretty remote.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #148  

;-)

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #149  
Had run my 8' finish mower for the last year without any issues. With a guide wheel on each corner, a total of 4 lynch pins had been holding everything tight...

Then, I read this thread!

Sure enough, the next day while using the mower, I lifted it and one of the guide wheels fell out! Lost a lynch pin mowing under some overhanging brush...

Jinxed!!!

Walked back along the mowing path and luckily found the spacers and spindle bushing.

All four wheel spindles are bolted and double nutted now.