Price Check M7040 or 5083E

/ M7040 or 5083E
It's all part of the process. Take your time and you'll do fine. You may want to even look into the 8540 and see if you can try the 12/12 transmission.

Thanks for the encouragement. No 8540's available at my dealer, but I looked over the 8560 this afternoon. Spent almost 2 hours at the Kubota dealer looking over the M7040 and talking prices/options. And THEN, I went back to Deere and spent another hour this afternoon looking over the 5083E again and talking about prices/options. I kind of got the feeling from both dealers that the prices they were giving me were their "bottom dollars", but I didn't actually ask because I want to keep thinking things over. The Kubota dealer seems to be hovering around 87.5% of MSRP and Deere is at 89%. The more times I go, the more I like the Deere dealer, plus he is 40 minutes closer to my house than Kubota. Furthermore, my initial impression of the Deere this morning followed by the Kubota was that I preferred the 7040 cab. But after driving the Deere a third time, the controls feel more ergonomic and "robust". Plus there's always the buddy seat which I can't get on the Kubota, nor do I think I could do a very good DIY.

I don't think I can go wrong on either. My concern with the Deere is that it's slightly too big for my needs. I can't find any literature comparing fuel consumption on either of these tractors online. I noticed in the Reviews section of this site that there a 5083 owners with less acreage than I plan to maintain, so that makes me feel better. I think to lessen the shock of the monthly payment on the Deere, I will go with a used cutter for now off of Tractorhouse. There seems to be a decent selection. Deleting the cutter from the Deere actually puts the two within a couple of thousand of one another when a used 8ft cutter is included in the 7040 price.

/ M7040 or 5083E #32  
   / M7040 or 5083E #33  
Thanks for the encouragement. No 8540's available at my dealer, but I looked over the 8560 this afternoon. Spent almost 2 hours at the Kubota dealer looking over the M7040 and talking prices/options. And THEN, I went back to Deere and spent another hour this afternoon looking over the 5083E again and talking about prices/options. I kind of got the feeling from both dealers that the prices they were giving me were their "bottom dollars", but I didn't actually ask because I want to keep thinking things over. The Kubota dealer seems to be hovering around 87.5% of MSRP and Deere is at 89%. The more times I go, the more I like the Deere dealer, plus he is 40 minutes closer to my house than Kubota. Furthermore, my initial impression of the Deere this morning followed by the Kubota was that I preferred the 7040 cab. But after driving the Deere a third time, the controls feel more ergonomic and "robust". Plus there's always the buddy seat which I can't get on the Kubota, nor do I think I could do a very good DIY.

I don't think I can go wrong on either. My concern with the Deere is that it's slightly too big for my needs. I can't find any literature comparing fuel consumption on either of these tractors online. I noticed in the Reviews section of this site that there a 5083 owners with less acreage than I plan to maintain, so that makes me feel better. I think to lessen the shock of the monthly payment on the Deere, I will go with a used cutter for now off of Tractorhouse. There seems to be a decent selection. Deleting the cutter from the Deere actually puts the two within a couple of thousand of one another when a used 8ft cutter is included in the 7040 price.

I feed with a 5083,its a guy I help from time to time,I don't really like that short 3point lever and the rpm lever on the dash or the exhaust location but that's just personal pref. IMG-20130306-00181.jpgI'm just glad he got a cab tractor. Both tractors are nice. Have you looked at the powerstar 4.75 cabs?

/ M7040 or 5083E #34  
I feed with a 5083,its a guy I help from time to time,I don't really like that short 3point lever and the rpm lever on the dash or the exhaust location but that's just personal pref.View attachment 311693I'm just glad he got a cab tractor. Both tractors are nice. Have you looked at the powerstar 4.75 cabs?

That's another nice tractor to choose from. I have never felt any brand loyalty. They all have their own features, and bad ideas, too.
A friend of mine has a NH TN75 (I think). Nice tractor, except that year NH had the idea to run the power for the loader from the rear remotes with flex lines.:confused: There is no float position on the loader. Weird.
As far as that goes I think it was a short lived idea, an was corrected years ago, and if the tractor didn't have a loader, it of course wouldn't be an issue.
I guess my point is, even the big guys do some things that don't alwayse make sense, at least to me.
With the amount of money your going to spend, I would suggest that you check out as many brands/ models as you can.

Bill

/ M7040 or 5083E #35  
A lot of good advice here. I personally, after shopping all the brands in my area, went with the 5083e's bigger brother the 5093e. It had a lot to do with Dealers, but I found the Deere cabs to be better in my eyes (we all have our own tastes). I did look at a lot of advice, and even ran across a JD vs Kubota video comparing the E series deere to the 60 series Kubota (albeit the bigger brothers 5101e and 9960 kubota). It was interesting to watch to give ideas what to look at.

Here's a link to it: John Deere 5101E vs Kubota M9960 Utility Tractor Comparison - YouTube

Good luck on your decision!

/ M7040 or 5083E #37  
That video, like any others produced by a manufacturer instead of a independent lab, seems pretty one sided.

While everything they mention may be true, it seems they exaggerate Kubota's short comings and leave out their finer points.

For example they said something like... "This cab was built by Deere, for Deere." They never mention who builds the Kubota cab, implying that it wasn't Kubota.

/ M7040 or 5083E #38  
That video, like any others produced by a manufacturer instead of a independent lab, seems pretty one sided.

While everything they mention may be true, it seems they exaggerate Kubota's short comings and leave out their finer points.

For example they said something like... "This cab was built by Deere, for Deere." They never mention who builds the Kubota cab, implying that it wasn't Kubota.

Agreed, I pay absolutely no attention to videos like this as some of the brand x vs brand y advantages are just personal preferences. Kubota and John Deere as well as others make them. Personally I often find I wish I had a Kubeere or Deota.:laughing:

Or you could just take the simple approach my wife uses. I was recently pointing out a New Holland I like when my wife announced, "Oh I wouldn't want a blue tractor." :laughing:

/ M7040 or 5083E #39  

Guys, keep things in perspective. I'm not bashing either, and I get it's a Deere video so it will be "one sided", no different than a Kubota video would be. Its no different than talking to a dealer, their product is always better. I was just pointing out there are many ways to gather information, and these videos can be entertaining. New Holland has one out that trumps up their product against the E series Deere, Kubota and Case. Guess who's is better in that video :thumbsup:.

Have a wonderful day....

/ M7040 or 5083E #40  
hoffmtim, I think we all accept your intent was to be helpful and benign.

I will add that if a dealer ever starts badmouthing the competition, I just walk off. Our Deere and Kubota/NH sells their products by pointing out good points on their machines not weak ones on others.