Magnetic Ground Clamp

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #11  
Here's an Amazon link but better shop around. I'm certain I paid less, but several years ago.

Magswitch Ground Clamp 3AMP Magswitch 3 amp On/Off Magnetic Ground - Welding Clamps - Amazon.com
Thanks Terry... although a cool toy, I am not sure I can justify it but it WILL go on my xmas list. :D I can see for certain situations (heavy equipment) finding something nearby to clamp to might be an issue. I'm a hack and probably shouldn't be in those situations anyways :laughing:

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #12  
Thanks Terry... although a cool toy, I am not sure I can justify it but it WILL go on my xmas list. :D I can see for certain situations (heavy equipment) finding something nearby to clamp to might be an issue. I'm a hack and probably shouldn't be in those situations anyways :laughing:

One can certainly get by forever without one but....

Quite often I need to tack up an "assembly" that can't be held tightly in place with clamps. Just carefully attaching the jaws of a traditional ground clamp may knock everything out of position.

The Magswitch however can usually be attached without disruption.

Plus as yomax4 mentioned, it's great for large pipe, large flat surfaces AND my 3" thick steel welding table top.

Terry

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #13  
Definitely see applications. Surprised after going through some of the reviews... seems the magnet isn't all that strong. Which can be a good thing from my understanding (not personal experience) of welding near magnetic fields.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #14  
Mark, here's a little better price (looks like they may have changed the design, left out the smooth outer cover tho)
Magswitch Magnetic Ground Clamp - 300 amp 8100746

I've found that any grinding dust/filings come off just about ANY magnet by blowing it off with high pressure air; a quick back and forth movement seems to work best. The air gets the "stickies" far enough away from the magnet (even a NON-switchable one) not to return... Steve

Just be SURE to have leather gloves on, and not too close to skin - AIR EMBOLISMS CAN BE FATAL...

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #16  
   / Magnetic Ground Clamp #17  
Definitely see applications. Surprised after going through some of the reviews... seems the magnet isn't all that strong. Which can be a good thing from my understanding (not personal experience) of welding near magnetic fields.

I just checked out those reviews, Mark and found the one regarding the weight of the cable pulling the magnet off the workpiece questionable.

I just bundled up 20 pounds of welding lead to see how it would fare.
Magnet held the weight without problem and I didn't see the point in ADDING more weight to see when it would fail.

Even if one was up a fifty foot pole I'm certain they could loop the lead over something to alleviate the weight/strain on the Magswitch ground.

* I realize this may have been more appropriately posted in the "Get a Life" forum.

IMG_2444.JPG

Terry

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #18  
   / Magnetic Ground Clamp #19  
Mark, here's a little better price (looks like they may have changed the design, left out the smooth outer cover tho)
Magswitch Magnetic Ground Clamp - 300 amp 8100746

I've found that any grinding dust/filings come off just about ANY magnet by blowing it off with high pressure air; a quick back and forth movement seems to work best. The air gets the "stickies" far enough away from the magnet (even a NON-switchable one) not to return... Steve

Just be SURE to have leather gloves on, and not too close to skin - AIR EMBOLISMS CAN BE FATAL...

just ordered this ty, looks to be awesome for pipe.....

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #20  
Nice price but once you see the advantage of a "switchable" magnet not "pulling " apart a delicate assembly when attaching you'll never go back.

Oh I can see the advantage of a switchable magnet for small things alright. But if you are welding on a big slab of metal the Radnor type does just fine. It is a two handed job to get off sometimes so there is no question that it will hold quite a bit of weight if the ground cable is suspended from the magnet clamp.