Magnetic Ground Clamp

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #31  
This would have been a good use for one. IMG_9709.JPG

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #32  
I bought one a few years ago and really liked it at first. So much so I bought three more so I had them for all four welders. Over time my love for them declined and I know have gone back to clamps. There are some situations where they work great where a clamp won't by they pop off to easy. I have pretty heavy gauge welding lead and just the weight of it puts a good deal of force on the magnet making the slightest tug on the lead cause it to fall off. For some situations they are great but I no longer use them.
So you are saying your spring clamps will take more load than the magnetic ones???

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #33  
So you are saying your spring clamps will take more load than the magnetic ones???

I would say it depends on the age and amp rating of a spring clamp. I've got some big amp Tweco's that I dare anyone with medium sized hands to use them one handed.

One good thing about traditional ground clamps is that you can wiggle them around a bit to get a better connection. Can't really do that with a Magswitch.

Terry

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #34  
I would say it depends on the age and amp rating of a spring clamp. I've got some big amp Tweco's that I dare anyone with medium sized hands to use them one handed.

One good thing about traditional ground clamps is that you can wiggle them around a bit to get a better connection. Can't really do that with a Magswitch.

Terry
Gotcha... I have never played with a spring loaded ground clamp with serious clamp up. But I'm just a hack. I get it that there are weak magnets out there... just play with the HF magnet holders. Sort of worthless except for very light weight materials.

4-3/4'' Multipurpose Magnet Holder

I do have an appreciation for powerful magnets, especially those that you can 'turn on'.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #35  
Gotcha... I have never played with a spring loaded ground clamp with serious clamp up. But I'm just a hack. I get it that there are weak magnets out there... just play with the HF magnet holders. Sort of worthless except for very light weight materials.

I do have an appreciation for powerful magnets, especially those that you can 'turn on'.

I think those magnetic angle holders are just made for sheet metal and 1/4" at most. They do a pretty good job at that.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #36  

Mark. StrongHand Tools makes a good switchable magnet for welding. Much better than those little red ones.

Here's a pic of one amongst some of my spring type ground clamps. Tweco's , a Lenco, Jackson and a couple of decent 'no name' brands.

Just didn't want anyone to think I thought a Magswitch ground was the "cure all - end all". IMG_2517.JPG

Terry

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #37  
Mark. StrongHand Tools makes a good switchable magnet for welding. Much better than those little red ones.

Here's a pic of one amongst some of my spring type ground clamps. Tweco's , a Lenco, Jackson and a couple of decent 'no name' brands.

Just didn't want anyone to think I thought a Magswitch ground was the "cure all - end all". View attachment 509108

Terry

Yes, I've seen those. But $$$$ compared to the little HF versions.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #38  
Another thing that I've NOT seen mentioned - ALL magnets work stronger with THICKER metal, up to maybe 3/4" thick - the thicker metal brings more of the magnetic lines of force into play.

So, if you're using a mag ground on thin metal it WILL come loose if you hang too much ground cable on it - to some extent, you could maybe figure out a way to support the cable SEPARATELY under those conditions, but personally if I decide to get a mag ground I'll just put another set of tweco connectors in play - everything else I have is converted to those so I can use extra leads wherever I need 'em, so it'd be easy to just "unplug" the mag ground and plug in a clamp type (with a SHORT WHIP, of course) - best of BOTH worlds that way... Steve

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #39  
Another thing that I've NOT seen mentioned - ALL magnets work stronger with THICKER metal, up to maybe 3/4" thick - the thicker metal brings more of the magnetic lines of force into play.

So, if you're using a mag ground on thin metal it WILL come loose if you hang too much ground cable on it - to some extent, you could maybe figure out a way to support the cable SEPARATELY under those conditions, but personally if I decide to get a mag ground I'll just put another set of tweco connectors in play - everything else I have is converted to those so I can use extra leads wherever I need 'em, so it'd be easy to just "unplug" the mag ground and plug in a clamp type (with a SHORT WHIP, of course) - best of BOTH worlds that way... Steve

IMG_1874.JPG

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #40  

Yes. It some instances the magnet was great but in others it was constantly falling off anytime I accidentally brushed against the ground lead. I also fried a magnetic one but that was a rare deal. I welded for about three hours straight at high amperage on some 7/8" plate and the mag clamp got so hot it quit working. The knob on the top would not turn anymore and it wouldn't stick anymore. Mine were the tweco 200 amp units and I was welding at 150 amps when it failed. Don't get me wrong I am not bashing them they are great for some things and maybe having a quick connect to swap between a magnet and a clamp would be good. For all my welders I use the tweco GC-300. They have not let me down yet.