Magnetic Ground Clamp

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #21  
I just checked out those reviews, Mark and found the one regarding the weight of the cable pulling the magnet off the workpiece questionable.

I just bundled up 20 pounds of welding lead to see how it would fare.
Magnet held the weight without problem and I didn't see the point in ADDING more weight to see when it would fail.

Even if one was up a fifty foot pole I'm certain they could loop the lead over something to alleviate the weight/strain on the Magswitch ground.

* I realize this may have been more appropriately posted in the "Get a Life" forum.

View attachment 508406

Terry
I like it... something that I would do... suppose we should talk to the mods about a 'Get a Life' forum and the only way you could post a new thread in it is if you were nominated by a fellow TBNer. It would be exclusive club. :laughing: Posts should be redneck tests, over analyzes, etc.

Definitely like the idea of a switchable magnet.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #22  
it's great for large pipe, large flat surfaces AND my 3" thick steel welding table top.

Terry
How do you ever avoid damaging a welding table only 3" thick:laughing:

I just checked out those reviews, Mark and found the one regarding the weight of the cable pulling the magnet off the workpiece questionable.

Terry

Very true, I was "caught" on a Sunday needing a new ground clamp, TSC was the only place open and my choices were the cheap pressed tin (clamp) model or the magnetic with a very light spring model. As soon as I got a chance to replace that cheapo magnetic, I got another brass clamp.
I do like the looks of your magnet and I prolly would still be using it if that one was available:thumbsup:

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #23  
It all depends on clean bare metal contact area.
Metal filings between the magnet and the metal surface will give poor results, and that magnet will sure attract any filings or grinding residue.
Personally I still prefer a good rugged clamp style ground.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #24  
I have 8-9 of these laying around new without box.. Switchable 300-600 amp. If they weren't so heavy to ship I would offer them up N/C. You really want switchable trust me. Also. Yes they do attract filings but they are used after all that cutting and grinding so blow it off and it's not a prob. You can use them as did ( because I have so many ) To hang Christmas Wreaths on your steel siding.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #26  
I have a couple of 600 amp magswitch clamps ( Tweco version ) Once switched on, Very difficult to remove without switching off. So when shopping for a mag ground clamp the amperage matters too. Higher amp, Bigger magnet, Higher cost.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #27  
I've found that any grinding dust/filings come off just about ANY magnet by blowing it off with high pressure air; a quick back and forth movement seems to work best. The air gets the "stickies" far enough away from the magnet (even a NON-switchable one) not to return... Steve

If your air supply isn't enough to get all the little bits off, you can finish with a piece of duct-tape. The little bits stick quite well to the duct-tape adhesive.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #28  
Dave, thanks for that tip - probably woulda been even handier when I had a smaller compressor. About 8 years ago I got tired of waiting for air during projects, so sold my little Campbell Hausfield 2 horse and bought a REAL one

Heavy Duty Industrial Air Compressors: 5 to 3 HP

Mine's the TAPV-5052, shuts off at 170 psi - just the MOTOR weighs more than SOME "5 horsepower" compressors :rolleyes: ...Steve

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #29  
I bought one a few years ago and really liked it at first. So much so I bought three more so I had them for all four welders. Over time my love for them declined and I know have gone back to clamps. There are some situations where they work great where a clamp won't by they pop off to easy. I have pretty heavy gauge welding lead and just the weight of it puts a good deal of force on the magnet making the slightest tug on the lead cause it to fall off. For some situations they are great but I no longer use them.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #30  
I have Tweco connectors on all my ground leads so I can swap between regular clamp and mag clamp.