Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #171  
Thank you!

Yup, I just went out and tried mine after reading your post. First time I've played with that function, actually. Sure enough, mine does the same thing exactly as you described. Not super impressed about that. Love everything else about the tractor, though.
I will climb under mine and see what is going on, maybe that is the way it is suppose to be, I will talk to the service manager at my dealer he is pretty good at giving me the straight info.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #172  
Update:

Couldn't sleep anyways, so I got up early this morning and started researching. I bought the pdf 5155 service manual from Bill's Tractor. Got it downloaded, turns out I was sent the manual for the 4500 series by accident, I am hoping. Regardless, nothing useful regarding shift linkage for the 5100 series.

So, I went outside and started to really inspect the linkage, which I should have done sooner. The shuttle shift cable connects to the shift lever on the side of the transmission. It is located beneath the floor boards between the fuel tank and the transmission as shown below. The cable shifts the lever towards the rear of the tractor for reverse, or towards the front for forward. There is a small range of adjustment in the clevis at the end of the shift cable.

View attachment 744941

I suspected the shifter was not shifting the transmission completely into reverse, causing it to pop out and grind under load. I backed off the retaining nut and removed the connecting pin, which is held in place with an attached tab that snaps around the shaft of the clevis. I rotated the clevis on the threaded rod two full turns to lengthen the throw of the linkage, thus shifting the transmission "further" into reverse. This adjustment was small enough to not affect the Forward shifting throw.

Replaced the connecting pin and tightened the retaining nut, then did some testing. Made around 100 forward/reverse shifts in the yard without it popping out of gear. Tried every gear with different amounts of throttle to simulate different loads. I put it in 4wd and stopped the tractor facing downhill on a slope. Then I backed up the slope using a variety of gears and throttle, including some quick clutch releases in high-range/1st to really put the shifting mechanism under load. Never popped out.

I'll be posting if it happens again, but knock on wood adjusting the shift linkage seems to have cured the problem.
I wonder if this is a 55 only issue? I have no problem with this on my 5145.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #173  
I will climb under mine and see what is going on, maybe that is the way it is suppose to be, I will talk to the service manager at my dealer he is pretty good at giving me the straight info.

I crawled under mine when I checked it and determined that it's pretty inaccessible. You'll see what I mean when you look at yours. It looks like the shaft goes into a small hydraulic valve body just beneath the floor boards.

Please keep us posted, I'm interested in hearing what your service manager has to say on the matter. I haven't had the best of luck getting straight info from ours, which is why I typically try to diagnose/problem solve the issue myself first.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #174  
I wonder if this is a 55 only issue? I have no problem with this on my 5145.

Eh, I dunno. Andy has a 5155 and he hasn't any issues at all with his.

I tend to believe that it is a recently occurring assembly problem, since the other fellow that posted about the issue had just recently bought his tractor as well.

Parts wise, the shift linkage design of the 5145 and 5155 should be identical, which would lead me to believe that both models would have the issue. Unless they are assembled on different lines, which would prove that it is in fact an assembly issue.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Eh, I dunno. Andy has a 5155 and he hasn't any issues at all with his.

I tend to believe that it is a recently occurring assembly problem, since the other fellow that posted about the issue had just recently bought his tractor as well.

Parts wise, the shift linkage design of the 5145 and 5155 should be identical, which would lead me to believe that both models would have the issue. Unless they are assembled on different lines, which would prove that it is in fact an assembly issue.
No issues with mine. The only real difference between the 5145 and 5155 is the added turbo on the 55. So likely they have to fine tune that linkage adjustment when they set it up on the production line. Remember that this is a new model and with anything new it’s not unusual to find little things that the factory has to learn about set up jigs and processes. My guess is that shuttle linkage could be an area that they need a better set up adjustment procedure either at the factory or maybe at the dealership as those final adjustments might be made at the dealer. I haven’t had anything hooked to my three point yet so I can’t comment on the lowering rate adjustment knob. I’ll check that out this weekend. I’m an operations manager at an aerospace manufacturer. And when we start making a new product, there are always growing pains and teething problems with assembly jigs and fixtures. Building a few prototypes shows that the design can be manufactured. Doing that over and over again isn’t as simple. Hopefully they figure out any little bugs they have in their manufacturing process and I’m sure they will.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #176  
Update:

Couldn't sleep anyways, so I got up early this morning and started researching. I bought the pdf 5155 service manual from Bill's Tractor. Got it downloaded, turns out I was sent the manual for the 4500 series by accident, I am hoping. Regardless, nothing useful regarding shift linkage for the 5100 series.

So, I went outside and started to really inspect the linkage, which I should have done sooner. The shuttle shift cable connects to the shift lever on the side of the transmission. It is located beneath the floor boards between the fuel tank and the transmission as shown below. The cable shifts the lever towards the rear of the tractor for reverse, or towards the front for forward. There is a small range of adjustment in the clevis at the end of the shift cable.

View attachment 744941

I suspected the shifter was not shifting the transmission completely into reverse, causing it to pop out and grind under load. I backed off the retaining nut and removed the connecting pin, which is held in place with an attached tab that snaps around the shaft of the clevis. I rotated the clevis on the threaded rod two full turns to lengthen the throw of the linkage, thus shifting the transmission "further" into reverse. This adjustment was small enough to not affect the Forward shifting throw.

Replaced the connecting pin and tightened the retaining nut, then did some testing. Made around 100 forward/reverse shifts in the yard without it popping out of gear. Tried every gear with different amounts of throttle to simulate different loads. I put it in 4wd and stopped the tractor facing downhill on a slope. Then I backed up the slope using a variety of gears and throttle, including some quick clutch releases in high-range/1st to really put the shifting mechanism under load. Never popped out.

I'll be posting if it happens again, but knock on wood adjusting the shift linkage seems to have cured the problem.
Meant to reply the other day but just wanted to let you know that I adjusted the linkage as you explained and it seemed to have fixed it perfectly. I noticed in the photo yours has more threads exposed than mine did initially and I backed mine up 2 complete turns as you posted. So far so good. Thanks again. Saved me a dealership trip and warranty work!

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #177  
Thank you!

Yup, I just went out and tried mine after reading your post. First time I've played with that function, actually. Sure enough, mine does the same thing exactly as you described. Not super impressed about that. Love everything else about the tractor, though.
Mine is the same way. Loose and feels like bent or not mounted correctly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 110
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #178  
Meant to reply the other day but just wanted to let you know that I adjusted the linkage as you explained and it seemed to have fixed it perfectly. I noticed in the photo yours has more threads exposed than mine did initially and I backed mine up 2 complete turns as you posted. So far so good. Thanks again. Saved me a dealership trip and warranty work!

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that it worked for you as well, good deal.

As for the 3 pt. lowering adjustment knob, it definitely doesn't seem right in my opinion. I mean, everything else on the 5100 series seems to be so well designed and thought out, if makes so sense to have something as dysfunctional as that by design.

I definitely recall that when I went to fiddle with mine for the first time the other day, it seemed to make one smooth rotation, then became loose and "kinked" is probably the best word to describe it. The more that I mess with it the worse it seems to become.

Think I'm gonna call my dealer tomorrow as well, see if they know anything about the issue. If I don't get anywhere with that maybe I'll dig into it this weekend.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #179  
I just posted this in another thread and it reminded me that I'd been meaning to post it here as well.

Anyways, the other day I discovered that the KMW ("Mahindra") diverter valve kit is finally available through the Mahindra parts catalogue. It cost $2700, though, which is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I had a WR Long 3rd function on my 4540 and I'll be ordering one for the 5155 in the near future.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #180  
I just posted this in another thread and it reminded me that I'd been meaning to post it here as well.

Anyways, the other day I discovered that the KMW ("Mahindra") diverter valve kit is finally available through the Mahindra parts catalogue. It cost $2700, though, which is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I had a WR Long 3rd function on my 4540 and I'll be ordering one for the 5155 in the near future.
I would never pay that for a diverter valve. the WR long is only $900 and much better IMO.