Mahindra rotary cutter

/ Mahindra rotary cutter #21  
I have the 8' heavy duty dual spindle model. It is mounted with clevis pins and hairpin cotters. The cotters always get torn out by brush, letting the clevis pins fall out. Anyone have a good way of keeping this from happening? I hate to figure on buying a new 7/8" clevis pin about every 1-2 hours of operation. (No, I usually cannot find them in the woods.)

/ Mahindra rotary cutter
If the clevis pins have a loop handle, attach them to the a-frame with a short length of chain. You may have to replace hair pins frequently but the chain would control loss of the more costly clevis pin. Another thought is to drive a roll pin or spring pin through the hole in the clevis pin. This would require a hammer and a punch to remove every time you take the mower off unless you have a quick hitch. Or drill the hole out in the clevis pin to accept the typical lynch pin with the round bail snap-over clip.

/ Mahindra rotary cutter #23  
If the clevis pins have a loop handle, attach them to the a-frame with a short length of chain. You may have to replace hair pins frequently but the chain would control loss of the more costly clevis pin. Another thought is to drive a roll pin or spring pin through the hole in the clevis pin. This would require a hammer and a punch to remove every time you take the mower off unless you have a quick hitch. Or drill the hole out in the clevis pin to accept the typical lynch pin with the round bail snap-over clip.
I like the chain idea. I may drill out for the click pin also. I bought a quick hitch, but it is cat 1, which fits the tractor, but the mower is cat 2. So, I use the hitch for log dragging and little else.

/ Mahindra rotary cutter #24  
I have the 8' heavy duty dual spindle model. It is mounted with clevis pins and hairpin cotters. The cotters always get torn out by brush, letting the clevis pins fall out. Anyone have a good way of keeping this from happening? I hate to figure on buying a new 7/8" clevis pin about every 1-2 hours of operation. (No, I usually cannot find them in the woods.)

What in the world are you mowing to knock the pins off?? Just put a bolt in it lol

/ Mahindra rotary cutter #25  
I am thinking of doing that. I mow in the woods, so a lot of branches kick up and snag things. I used to lose click pins on a normal bush hog, but the 3-point adjustment still kept the mower on. The dual spindle brush cutter does not have permanently mounted pins.

/ Mahindra rotary cutter #26  
Yeah id put hardened bolts on it with a lock nut... that way you just need a few turns with a wrench to be sure she aint goin no were

/ Mahindra rotary cutter #27  
It is mounted with clevis pins and hairpin cotters. The cotters always get torn out by brush, letting the clevis pins fall out. Anyone have a good way of keeping this from happening?

Although I agree completely that the bolt idea above is the sure fire way, have you considered simple lynch pins to secure the clevis pins and retain ease of switching without tools? I use these on my 6' Medium duty to secure the clevis pins and have never had a problem in the woods/brush. A guy could chain them back to the deck or arm in addition to the clevis itself in case you did have a come apart assuming a branch could flip the top loop up. Good luck!

lynch-pin.jpg

Here is one of many sources: Lynch Pins - Pivot Point

/ Mahindra rotary cutter #28  
Two simple solutions to try. Push the hair pins all the way to the loop that way there is nothing to catch. If you don't like that one duct tape the loops so it makes it more difficult for the brush to catch them.

/ Mahindra rotary cutter #29  
I have a 6' SD Mahindra mower. It has been good so far but really I would get the "Medium duty" model if I have to do it again. Nothing wrong with the SD, I just push it more than I should. Navasot is right about the galvanized "Modern" mowers. I should have listened to him when I was buying.

/ Mahindra rotary cutter #30  
I have had brush remove click pins frequently. It did not matter with previous cutters, because they had a fixed pin on the hitch. I bought some new clevis pins with locking pins. I may try them.

Although I agree completely that the bolt idea above is the sure fire way, have you considered simple lynch pins to secure the clevis pins and retain ease of switching without tools? I use these on my 6' Medium duty to secure the clevis pins and have never had a problem in the woods/brush. A guy could chain them back to the deck or arm in addition to the clevis itself in case you did have a come apart assuming a branch could flip the top loop up. Good luck!

View attachment 470430

Here is one of many sources: Lynch Pins - Pivot Point