Mainfunction Indicator Lamp

/ Mainfunction Indicator Lamp #21  
So I got a MIL light today. Tractor was near idle when I noticed it. Tractor had updated software installed at the beginning of January. If I am reading this right, I am ok to run the tractor and no damage should be done?? I need to blow some more snow so I will run the rpms high.

Last edited:
   / Mainfunction Indicator Lamp #22  
If the tractor seems to be operating normally, I would try to run it. If you were keeping the RPMs low (below 1,500) that is probably the culprit. If you've followed this thread, you know that after 3 warm-up cycles (not start cycles) the MIL should go out, if there are no additional codes being generated. I didn't know this when mine did this, so I unhooked the battery. That did the trick. Now, I don't operate the tractor below 1.500 ever.

You guys got BURIED! We in CT dodged the bullet that nailed Maine. Yes, I'm sure you have lots more snow to blow. Good luck and post updates!

/ Mainfunction Indicator Lamp #23  
If the tractor seems to be operating normally, I would try to run it. If you were keeping the RPMs low (below 1,500) that is probably the culprit. If you've followed this thread, you know that after 3 warm-up cycles (not start cycles) the MIL should go out, if there are no additional codes being generated. I didn't know this when mine did this, so I unhooked the battery. That did the trick. Now, I don't operate the tractor below 1.500 ever.

You guys got BURIED! We in CT dodged the bullet that nailed Maine. Yes, I'm sure you have lots more snow to blow. Good luck and post updates!

Could you clarify warm up cycles please? I ran it hard for about 30 mins then I was done doing my cleanup so I parked it.
Yes we did get a bit of snow. About 2' in 4 days.

/ Mainfunction Indicator Lamp #24  
So I got a MIL light today. Tractor was near idle when I noticed it. Tractor had updated software installed at the beginning of January. If I am reading this right, I am ok to run the tractor and no damage should be done?? I need to blow some more snow so I will run the rpms high.

Our 2555 throws a light if we leave it idling for an extended period in a row or don't let it warm up and shut it down and start it and shut it down... etc. We run it at full throttle and get it hot, light goes away.

/ Mainfunction Indicator Lamp #25  
I did do more starting and stoping than normal today.

/ Mainfunction Indicator Lamp #26  
Could you clarify warm up cycles please? I ran it hard for about 30 mins then I was done doing my cleanup so I parked it.
Yes we did get a bit of snow. About 2' in 4 days.

When a cold tractor achieves full operational temperature (shown on the temp gauge), that is 1 warm up cycle. If I am not working my tractor very hard, it will be a while before the temp gauge moves.

/ Mainfunction Indicator Lamp #28  
I just spoke to my dealer. He confirmed that the MIL light means that the tractor is not meeting emission standards. He said that if the ERG valve sticks for a second, it will trigger the light. He suggested rinsing out the ERG cover. He also said to run it hot. Also, the light on the dash can be cleared by cycling the key three times.

Update: cycling the key 3 times did not clear my light.

Last edited:
   / Mainfunction Indicator Lamp #29  
My 2555 has only 34 hours. I have noticed several things that will set the MIL light, mostly operator involved. When I was rewiring stuff in the cab, I turned the key from OFF to START once, and that set the MIL light. Probably because I did not let the computers settle down for a few seconds before START. I usually start it with the throttle at idle. Once started, the computer runs the RPM a little over 1K RPM, then quickly down to 800. I bump this up to about 12-1300 RPM using the throttle [ actually only moving something electronic asking the computer to change the RPM ] and let it run like this for 6-8 minutes while I am getting the front barn door open and me ready to go outside. I then turn the blower on, and slowly move just outside of the barn. I let it run outside for another 5-8 minutes, then command the RPM's up around 1800 and drive the length of my driveway out to the road. At that time, I ask for full RPM, and start blowing. Not allowing the motor to warm up a little before asking for 2000 RPM or so will also set the MIL light. Once the MIL is set, I am only able to get about 2400 RPM and she runs like she does not have a turbo... she is running in limp mode and probably not fully fueled by the computer. The only way to cancel the MIL light is to start and run the tractor three times.... or remove the negative battery cable for a little time. But as long as I give her a little time in the winter to settle down before asking for full speed ahead Scotty, she runs just fine...

/ Mainfunction Indicator Lamp #30  
Hey guys I'm new here but have owned a Mahindra tractor for 5 years. My first was a 4010 HST and my second which I just bought last week is a 5555 shuttle. 4010 never gave me any issues but day one the 5555 has issues. My main concern is the MIL light comes on ALL the time and puts it in limp mode. I did everything you guys have suggested like running rpm's up around 2000, started it at idle etc. This is very aggravating that I can't even use the tractor. I don't want to have to stop tractor every thirty minutes to do the idle/run reset 6 times. This new tractor should run at any rpm's with no problems. I do not get the white smoke you guys say you see, the light just comes on at random times. Dealer came out and hooked up his laptop to it and it does show a egr issue. He did the update (again) and said try it but after he left I started running the tractor at 2100 rpm's and after about 15 minutes I looked down and noticed the light on. other times it came on was when I restarted it after I ran it for a while. They are picking up tractor as I type this. Dealer say they don't see any issues with these 5555's and are puzzled. I wish they would just bypass the egr crap but I know that is not happening. I miss the 4010 now but not the small size it was. Sorry guys just had to vent.
Oh yeah the other problem I had was it would not crank after I used bush hog. After a little investigating I found that the PTO switch was sticking on.