Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
We are working this year on enhancing the fire protection around our place. Thought I'd run a homemade copper sprinkler pipe under the outside eaves of the barn, block one end, and hook the other end to the well pump. It would be easy to make up, amost invisible and hopefully would keep the barn walls wet in the event of a grass fire.

How to make it sprinkle easily and well? I guess I could just drill small holes in the pipe every foot or so. Anyone have any better ideas? Plan is to use half inch rigid copper pipe.
rScotty

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler #2  
Copper pipe is very expensive.

Why not use a high quality, oscillating Rain Bird sprinkler or two to wet the barn high up, then trickle down?

Besides Rain Bird, the only oscillating sprinkler brand I recommend is Yuzuak from Turkey.

You can mount oscillating sprinklers on 10' T-posts.

yuzuak sprinklers

VENDER: Sprinkler Innovations, Inc. | ProView

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler #3  
I've heard of people in Canada I stalling golf course irrigation sprinklers on their roofs and dowsing the roof and surrounding grounds with water pumped from the lake.

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler #4  
I'm thinking that what you need to do is drill the small holes, and then use a de-burring bit to create a small well in the holes. This would cause the water to spray instead of stream. I'm not finding anything on the web besides lawn DIY sprinklers. You present a very interesting idea for fire suppression. What lengths are you planning to install? And how high up?

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler #5  
Looks like sprinkler heads would be the way to go because it would be a pain to drill a lot of those holes and keep them aligned. Not sure how they'd perform. The pipe would have to be winterized.

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler #6  
What about using the irrigation pipe with the pop in sprayers?

Or buy the spray heads like those used in restaurants over the grill areas?

Drilled holes in copper pipe would just Spray straight out the hole and not cover very much area.

1/2 inch tubing may not allow enough water to flow.

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler
I'm thinking that what you need to do is drill the small holes, and then use a de-burring bit to create a small well in the holes. This would cause the water to spray instead of stream. I'm not finding anything on the web besides lawn DIY sprinklers. You present a very interesting idea for fire suppression. What lengths are you planning to install? And how high up?
What about using the irrigation pipe with the pop in sprayers?

Or buy the spray heads like those used in restaurants over the grill areas?

Drilled holes in copper pipe would just Spray straight out the hole and not cover very much area.

1/2 inch tubing may not allow enough water to flow.
Looks like sprinkler heads would be the way to go because it would be a pain to drill a lot of those holes and keep them aligned. Not sure how they'd perform. The pipe would have to be winterized.
I am going to some effort - it seems worthwhile....and of course we all need projects.

My original idea was to run the pipe right along the peak - use sprinklers and let it just drain down the side of the roof and eaves. However, that means a lot of up high work for my aging old body. This all started when I did some tests years ago on the top grade of "fire resistant" asphalt shingles and was sadly disappointed. So this year when the time came for a new covering I put on steel. Now the roof covering itself is protected pretty well and I blocked in the soffits with concrete boad. That left the barn sides & large doors which are gradually becoming covered & trimmed with cement board.

The total length will only be about 150 feet. It's a smallish barn. I like the de-burrng idea to make a well to shape the spray. Wonder if that will work?
Next task will be to make up a section of pipe and play with the various well and whatever shapes. See if it can be made to spray.

The pop-in sprayers were my first choice, and if I can find some that seem decent quality then I'm going to make up a test section for that as well.

I hear you on the 1/2 " pipe not being large enough volume for the entire run. Good point. I'll put a Y manifold so I feed two lengths - and upsize the pipe too.

Thanks for all the good ideas,
rScotty

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler #8  
You seem to be wanting fire prevention, not fire extinguishing, so 1/2" would do the job. I would do testing on hole size, placement etc. to be sure you create something that will perform as you like.

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler #9  
I haven't tried this, but something tells me drilling holes in copper pipe will just let streams of water out.

Another possible option is to take some ag sprayer nozzles and make your own Colorado size barn sprayer. At least you can know going into it what the spray pattern and water flow is going to be.

/ Making Copper Pipe into Overhead Sprinkler #10  
Why not use 1" poly tubing?