Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do?

/ Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do? #1  

madtowneast

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1754
Hi,

I was getting my new to me Rhino SE8 ready for some last of the season mowing. I was trying to check the oil level in gearboxes. I found that the 1/8" square headed pipe plugs for level drain in really good condition for a 20 year old machine. I was able to get 2 of the 3 off, but the third one has be really struggling. I used a crescent wrench, 9/32" wrench, etc. but only think I seem to the doing is rounding off the square head. The next step for me would be using a vise grip, but that would most likely ruin the plug. Is there an alternative I am not considering?

After doing some research, it seems like this is the wrong plug for the gearbox. At least the part numbers are different between the middle gearbox and the side gearboxes. I ordered replacements just in case, so in case I break them I have some on hand.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do? #2  
Heat it. If you have a welder, put a good sized nut on top, and bury the rod in the middle, then back it out with the nut.

Best,

ed

/ Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do? #3  
Wreck it if you must, but get it out. Replace it with brass. I tend to skip the square head, and get a hex head.
Heat is good. A little tapping as you try to turn it can help as well.

/ Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do? #4  
Hi,

I was getting my new to me Rhino SE8 ready for some last of the season mowing. I was trying to check the oil level in gearboxes. I found that the 1/8" square headed pipe plugs for level drain in really good condition for a 20 year old machine. I was able to get 2 of the 3 off, but the third one has be really struggling. I used a crescent wrench, 9/32" wrench, etc. but only think I seem to the doing is rounding off the square head. The next step for me would be using a vise grip, but that would most likely ruin the plug. Is there an alternative I am not considering?

After doing some research, it seems like this is the wrong plug for the gearbox. At least the part numbers are different between the middle gearbox and the side gearboxes. I ordered replacements just in case, so in case I break them I have some on hand.

Thanks!
They make square wrenches for square pipe plugs. Elvathang will round off with crescent wrenches and vise grips.

/ Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do? #5  
   / Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do? #6  
With a replacement plug in hand. you can be as destructive as you wish removing the old plug. If using heat be judicious; you do not want to bake the seals. My guess is the plug is NPT, and a local hardware store will have replacement for less than the dealer. One-eighth square is rather small; get the largest size head you can, and use a dab of never-seize when reinstalling. You undoubtedly have standard wrenches for a replacement head with a hex head as toolslinger suggested. Other options are hex key (Allen), square head. As ruffdog and Roustabout noted there are pipe plug (square) bits and sockets, and there are 8-point sockets. All good excuses for new tools.

/ Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do?
Yeah I found those, they just didnt have the size I needed. Some digging got me this set from the same manufacturer:

MIXPOWER 11 Pieces 3/8-inch Drive Pipe Plug Socekt Set, SAE, CR-MO, Tapered Male Square Drive, Chamfered Female Square Drive https://a.co/d/4hotxZ8

Thanks for all the other suggestions. Once I have the replacement parts in hand and tools, I will see if can salvage it or not.

/ Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do? #9  
My first experience with these was as a boy many moons ago with dads Aladen 21" push mower with a 3hp Briggs motor. Was at the local hardware store and asked about a replacement and low and behold one appeared! I was shocked and my lifelong love of hardware stores only got stronger !

/ Male Square Head Pipe Plug with starting to round off - What to do? #10  
If your going to weld a nut to it, why not just weld a piece of flatbar with a square hole cut in it so that it fits tight so that you don't have to worry about the nut you welded on getting rounded off?
David from jax