Managing electric usage for the "Time of Day" rates?

/ Managing electric usage for the "Time of Day" rates? #41  
Not sure how it works in your state, but that's not how it works here.

By shifting heavy uses to off peak hours, it is saving the saving the utilities money. If our utility saves money, the ratepayers save money: Our regulated utility basically operates on a "cost plus" basis (their rates are based on their costs plus what the regulators feel to be a reasonable profit). Peak generation is expensive - a LOT more expensive than the utilities base load generation. The incentive offered to those who are on the special non-peak rate for the power used to charge their EVs does not come even close to claiming all that is saved by the utility. In fact, those who are set up to load-shift to off peak hours are subsidizing other rate payers.

The off-peak EV rate here is $0.14274/kWh
If I chose to "opt out" and charge during one of those peak events where they would otherwise disable my charger, the rate is $0.73388/kWh (no, that's not a typo. It's more than 5 times the rate charged for off-peak EV charging.)

That makes sense. Just charge more for EV charging if that is whats causing the added peak generation.

/ Managing electric usage for the "Time of Day" rates? #42  
That makes sense. Just charge more for EV charging if that is whats causing the added peak generation.
It's also done for EV because it's an easy way to shed a large load without having to install extra equipment. The charger is already able to measure usage for billing purposes, and it's able to be controlled remotely, as long as it has an internet connection. You pay an arm and a leg to charge during one of their peak events. If that was all there was to the rate, no one would sign up for it. So they give you a small break if you charge outside one of their peak events.

They had (may still have?) a similar rate for electric water heaters, but you had to add a special piece of hardware to allow them to control the heater remotely.

I did find out why I was not on the special EV rate already: it turns out that rate did not exist yet when I got the charger. All the paperwork I signed up for was to get the free charger. Just switched over to that rate today.