Man's Best Friend

/ Man's Best Friend #33  
Re: Man\'s Best Friend

GreenMtnMan:

I can't get it to play. If I can, maybe my wife shouldn't hear it?

/ Man's Best Friend #35  

Daryl, sorry, I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you. Maybe it requires flash or something. If you can get it working your wife would probably laugh too - it's not anti-cat or anything.

/ Man's Best Friend #36  

I also hate people who torment dogs for sport. But dogs have ways of getting even...

Years ago we allowed a ski trail to pass thru our property in winter. Most of the cross-country skiers were wonderful folks, and many of them would stop to pet our 12 year old golden retriever, Mercedes, as she woofed from the driveway. But one big fellow left the trail and stabbed her with the tip of his ski pole before turning back to the trail. I chased him down the hill on foot and restrained him (thank you, Marine Corps training!) for the police. He was charged with cruelty to animals and criminal trespass (for leaving the groomed trail to stab my dog).

But every morning thereafter Mercedes used to amble down the trail to a hard curve on a double fall-line and do her thing right there on the freshly groomed snow...then back off and watch the skiers try to negotiate that difficult curve while avoiding her landmine! It was hysterical watching the skiers try to get around it, jump over it, or straddle it while that dog woofed happily by the garage! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif My favorite was a fellow wearing a bright yellow windbreaker who fell backwards as he tried to bunnyhop over it. When he stood up looking around to see if he'd missed the turd you could see a big brown stripe down his back!

I miss that old dog. She was as devious as Wily E Coyote! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete

/ Man's Best Friend #37  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( She was as devious as Wily E Coyote! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)</font>

Aren't they though! I am convinced that both our lab and golden lay awake at night trying come come up with new ways to get in trouble, amuse us or just plain baffle me.

Just the other day the golden girl grabbed a spud from the drawer and hid it in her mouth, next thing I know the two of them are outside playing 'catch' with this soggy mass of starch. I swear one would 'throw' the thing and the other would either catch it or chase it down and 'throw' it for the other. Now these dogs have plenty of toys but I guess they just wouldn't do. This puppy action comes from 8 & 9 year old dogs. Who says old dogs just sit on the porch!

They have been my constant companions and friends since they walked into my life, the wife gets a tad jealous once in a while. It has been said that every man has one "heart-dog" in his life, a dog that is so close to him that they know each others hearts inside and out. I have been lucky enough to had these two. Ain't nuthin' better than curling up with a dog and a book in front of the fire on a rainy day!

Best wishes to all you K-9 types out there. Give them an extra scratch behind the ear tonight, or better yet, one of those belly rubs they love so much!

Don

/ Man's Best Friend #38  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But every morning thereafter Mercedes used to amble down the trail to a hard curve on a double fall-line and do her thing right there on the freshly groomed snow...)</font>

<ROFLMAO>

Every now and then I read another article by animal psychologists, trying to decide if dogs can reason. It's obvious they don't own dogs. They wouldn't get into so much mischief if they couldn't reason.

/ Man's Best Friend #39  

The garbage man is lining up for his downfall as we speak. Im trying to figure out the best way to get the hornets nest out of my friends hay barn, into a plastic sealable garbage can like we have to do every year. Usually we just nuke the can and all in a brush fire but since the garbage man is having fun at others torment it should go both ways.
We did this one year to a fella that as stealing garbage bins a few years ago. Cut the nest down at night with a machete or pole saw with a bud holding th can and lid. when you catch your Pi$$ed off little friends seal them in a rubbermade garbage can, then ice pick little air and moisture holes in it. when he jerks the lid off its the calculated time delay the air conditioned driver has when his buddy is in need of quick escape that does the trick. Our trash barrel crook hasnt been back since so this may work. I got 1 of 2 nests lined up for the trick.

/ Man's Best Friend #40  

If you've got a videocam, try setting it up a few mornings and recording him taunting your dog.... then sue the company for all you can milk them for... ( the..ahem.. american way.. )