Massey 2660HD rear brake issue

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #81  
Poopstink -- That is a great price ... also a dilemma. I'm tight enough I would find a way to go see it before I would plunk down $20K and have it shipped. 1100 hrs is not bad at all. Sawtooth is right in saying you have a few thousand $ in room to do some work on it if you have to. Given the price of airline tickets and the mess travel is in in this country I'd be right on the edge of arranging a binder or means to ensure the machine is still there and drive my truck and a trailer out to get it. Maybe the seller could give you references locally ? You'd stand probably a 90% chance of hauling it home. If something was SO bad you don't want the machine you are out less than the price of an airline ticket and the commercial haul bill. Of course I have no idea if you are in a position to do that trip (truck, trailer and all.) As sawtooth and others can tell you the cab models have a lot of other things that can get expensive like air-conditioning, etc.
Yep, this is a dilemma.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #82  
Poopstink -- That is a great price ... also a dilemma. I'm tight enough I would find a way to go see it before I would plunk down $20K and have it shipped. 1100 hrs is not bad at all. Sawtooth is right in saying you have a few thousand $ in room to do some work on it if you have to. Given the price of airline tickets and the mess travel is in in this country I'd be right on the edge of arranging a binder or means to ensure the machine is still there and drive my truck and a trailer out to get it. Maybe the seller could give you references locally ? You'd stand probably a 90% chance of hauling it home. If something was SO bad you don't want the machine you are out less than the price of an airline ticket and the commercial haul bill. Of course I have no idea if you are in a position to do that trip (truck, trailer and all.) As sawtooth and others can tell you the cab models have a lot of other things that can get expensive like air-conditioning, etc.
Yep, this is a dilemma.

ya the cab kinda scares me. it has less clearance for the woods and greenhouse work, but would sure be nice during the Maine winters and snow removal! the added complexity of having that cab is also scary. the only reason id really jump at is is the "deal" factor. that DL280 loader will sure come in handy when moving 2500-3500lb containers/pallets full of soil. as far as trucking it myself that would be impossible. i only have a tundra and 8k equipment trailer. id be paying someone from USHIP to go pick it up. id definitely try to wrangle as much info from the owner as possible. have videos sent, etc. @sawtooth sorry to overtake your thread!

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #83  
I understand. In a Maine woods environment the cab is probably well worth it in snow season. The DL280 loader should serve you well. Hopefully it has the quick-attach kit on the loader ? I can't tell from the picture. That QA gives you so many good options for attachments that normally fit a skid-steer. From the photo you seem to be dealing with a private individual which is probably a good thing, though some pros and cons. The pro is price.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue
Oh no worries as I actually posted this for people like yourself who are looking to buy or have similar issues.

By the way these tractors are heavy you’re looking at about 11 K with all fluids and front end loader. My GMC was just over tongue weight on a long trip back from Tennessee.

IMG_3136.PNG

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #85  
I understand. In a Maine woods environment the cab is probably well worth it in snow season. The DL280 loader should serve you well. Hopefully it has the quick-attach kit on the loader ? I can't tell from the picture. That QA gives you so many good options for attachments that normally fit a skid-steer. From the photo you seem to be dealing with a private individual which is probably a good thing, though some pros and cons. The pro is price.
correct its a private part sale. Tractordata shows a flow rate of 17 gpm hydraulic pump, i wonder it that would be enough to drive a FEL mounted skid steer snow blower. It sure would be handy to add a valve and separate hydraulics on the FEL to drive a SSQA snow blower maybe even rough cut flail mower for taming the boundaries of my property. i dont think it has a loader bucket though. just the hay fork which i would never use.

1616439941211.png

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #87  
Well yes and no. My dealer in WV had a front mount snowblower on a 2660 to be used at a small local airport . They sent it out with "normal" 3rd function hydraulic supply to the blower and it was nearly useless. They modified the rig, primarily with oversized fitting and large diameter hoses and made it fairly usable. I did not have personal sight of it or try it out myself. I had a large front cutter on mine for a while and the tractor hydraulics was just not adequate to make the big cutter robust. It worked but not really satisfactorily. You should have a rather unique (to these tractors) combiner valve at your feet under the seat which allows you to add the 3pt hitch pump flow to the normal main pump flow for high flow needs. That 17gpm may be both of those pumps combined as I thought the main pump was around 14.8 ?? I'll throw in some pictures here in a minute.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #88  
heres more pics i got today

Attachments

• 00A0A_9n6L3hr14QQ_1200x900.jpg
    00A0A_9n6L3hr14QQ_1200x900.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 00b0b_7wKPTXeLNjY_1200x900.jpg
    00b0b_7wKPTXeLNjY_1200x900.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 00b0b_8fJgOLhOwTK_1200x900.jpg
    00b0b_8fJgOLhOwTK_1200x900.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 00F0F_4XJjWD5w8x0_1200x900.jpg
    00F0F_4XJjWD5w8x0_1200x900.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 51
  • 00d0d_cokEhkWkJCT_1200x900.jpg
    00d0d_cokEhkWkJCT_1200x900.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 45
  • 00H0H_6AUB9dg1sId_1200x900.jpg
    00H0H_6AUB9dg1sId_1200x900.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 00h0h_9qRMOEBSOtb_1200x900.jpg
    00h0h_9qRMOEBSOtb_1200x900.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 00H0H_hIeQCMEE6nh_1200x900.jpg
    00H0H_hIeQCMEE6nh_1200x900.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 00n0n_ksSLoG6ip2v_1200x900.jpg
    00n0n_ksSLoG6ip2v_1200x900.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 00P0P_5eC8SCXwxM3_1200x900.jpg
    00P0P_5eC8SCXwxM3_1200x900.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 51
   / Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #89  
This is the rear end, can you tell what brakes it has?

View attachment 691353
Yep, I sure can. That is the marginal 4 disk type of brakes. See the 4 notches adjacent to the left side of the differential? The right side has the same set of notches but they are hidden in your picture. They WILL NOT hold you on a 40% slope with all your weight on the brake pedals. That with a 1460 lb bush hog on the back and a rops version tractor. A friend of mine with a 2660 cab model had his brakes modified for the 5 disk version by the same dealer who did mine in 2011. The 4 disk type brakes might be OK on flat land but I could not use the tractor on my place that way.

I see it has 3 remotes which is good.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #90  
Yep, I sure can. That is the marginal 4 disk type of brakes. See the 4 notches adjacent to the left side of the differential? The right side has the same set of notches but they are hidden in your picture. They WILL NOT hold you on a 40% slope with all your weight on the brake pedals. That with a 1460 lb bush hog on the back and a rops version tractor. A friend of mine with a 2660 cab model had his brakes modified for the 5 disk version by the same dealer who did mine in 2011. The 4 disk type brakes might be OK on flat land but I could not use the tractor on my place that way.

I see it has 3 remotes which is good.

Its a 2012 years as well so it must not be production year thing where they went to the 5 disk setup. on the other hand i dont have any hilly or sloped property so that wouldnt be an issue for me. id probably not upgrade them if they are currently working fine.

this is my original thread where i discussed my uses. i wonder if im going overkill here lol. on the other hand 21k will buy me a newer model L3901 kubota which is significantly less tractor.