Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles
@Xfaxman, we agree. I did not try swapping A & B to see if A would seat in the B socket - good idea.

The issue with the A socket is that the plug will not stay in and latch. you can get it in, but then if you wiggle it, it will pull out. The fluid valves are not open.

We think when the plug was yanked out, something was damaged and the balls will not retain the plug.

I'll be back at the tractor on May 9. I'll try your suggestion then.

Thank you for your suggestion and time.

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #12  
I suspect you had or now have a pretty good understanding of how BOTH of the poppet balls will factor into the successful completion of your coupling. Both sides must be relaxed.
In the pic above, yes, the collar is not in the proper position to retain the male tip. And there's a very good chance that is because one or the other poppet balls refuses to recede into the void, which allows fluid to flow. I pretty much guarantee that if you can't push both of those poppet balls off their seat, by hand pressure, you will not get the connection to hold.
There is a small chance that there is some debris, a small grain of sand, mud, grunge, that won't allow the collar to assume its correct position. If you can, take some spray carb cleaner and a blow gun to those moving parts to make sure it's clean in there.
And as was suggested above, (Xfaxman) interchange a couple of those tips and couplers, to see if there could be some physical damage to one of those components.
I doubt you'll find damage, as that system was used on my 1955 Case 400 to prevent stretched or torn hydraulic hoses when the trip hitch on the trailer plow snagged a rock or root and unhooked the plow. The male tips and hoses simply got yanked out of the captured sleeve and fell to the ground, undamaged.

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #13  
I don't like double posting but no one is responding in the repair thread sub-forum so....

One of the hydraulic lift lines to the loader caught a branch and ripped the hose out of the mating coupler. No damage was done to the hose.

We are unable to get the coupler to lock in and mate despite breaking and bleeding all pressure in the lift loop. I suspect something in the coupler is damaged but cannot see anything wrong with it.

Seems these couplers are near custom for Massey. Great... I did get one at the dealer and am planning to try a new one as a solution. Just curious if any here have experienced a failure of this type and if there is something else I should be trying. I won't be on the property for 5 weeks from now so I have time to collect other ideas.

This tractor has the push in to release style female coupler. You push the hose in hard and then yank to pull it out. The release ring is built into the coupler and can not be "activated" except by pushing in the male connector. Oh how I wish it has the more common release ring!
There is a possibility on both male & female connectors the internal springs are broken on one of the connectors internally & that would prevent it from locking in place :unsure: ! There are a couple of videos on YouTube showing cutaways of both male & female connectors that show the internals ! I think this will solve the problem because it will allow you see what you can't see ! I hope that this will help solve the problem .

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #14  
you can relieve pressure off tractor side with engine off and cycling control lever through all positions.
I've had one act like this on a 1532 and cycling relieved pressure enough to connect

I appreciate all the feedback and help. @can do, been looking for a cutaway. As an engineer, I want to understand what is working there and am still a bit in the dark. I'm a sparky but have pretty solid mechanical aptitude owing to my days of designings machines/machine controls. Still, I like to learn and will see what I can find on uTube.

@Ipakiz, thanks for your suggestions that you do not suspect it is damaged. I'd rather not replace but I have purchased replacements in case one is needed.

We'll keep working the problem and as I have written, I will post the result here.

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #16  
Dave is absolutely correct that the pressure on the pump side of the circuit can be relieved by cycling the joystick with the engine off.
Then you can EASILY prove that the pressure is relaxed, by depressing the poppet with a rod, punch, dowel, whatever. If it's relaxed, hand pressure will depress the spring-loaded poppet ball.
BTW, there is a chance of getting a squirt of oil in your face while doing this. I usually work thru a clean towel or grease rag.

As previously said, we did move the joy stick. We did press the ball and we did see hydraulic fluid come out. That said, perhaps we did not hold it open long enough.

On the plug side, we opened both sides of the circuit and with those open, we pressed the ball in by hand. We then tried to insert the plug into the socket and still could not get it to seat.

If there is an issue of pressure, it has to be on the socket side. We'll look at that more closely. The only way to "open" that side is to rotate the socket on the threaded piping. We'll play with all of that before replacing the socket.

Thanks for the suggestion.

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #18  
yeah I bet ball seat area is damaged and misshapen ball(s) causing non-lock.
I had missed where you said you cycled control lever.
if line on loader side for that fits another socket fine then I'd not mess around and would just replace.

per agco parts should be a SL103298 female connector. can't remember where I bought my fittings from when building hydro relief valve test hose but they sold sl style and were good prices.

Capture.PNG

15$ on ebay

Last edited:
Thank you Dave (@Dmacieo). My dealer only had one in stock and the other is being shipped to my home - its a spare. We'll see what we find.

If the connector has failed, it'll be replaced and hopefully all will be fixed. I just wish I were onsite to get this done this week!

I just might get a couple more and replace them all at $15 each.. Thanks for the ebay link.

I wanted to close this out. Turns out there was nothing wrong with the female socket. The issue was that when the hose was yanked from the female, the nipple/male side of the hose was distorted, out of round and a guy with eyes that knew what to look at spotted it immediately.

I ended up at Hose House in Christiansburg, VA for help. No one else had stock of the 1/2" hose fittings used on this loader. The kind gentlemen at Hose House said, "You can't get this to seat right? Look right here. See these fine cracks? This thing distorted when it got ripped out of the socket."

New nipple, new socket, the hose connects and disconnects like it should. We are fully back in operation.

I really appreciate all the help. I hope all of us have learned something with this final post.

Happy is the big ol bear moving stuff (we just got the stump bucket and will be working stumps): New video by Bruce Ruhf