Max 28 won't start

/ Max 28 won't start
interesting failure, does your tractor live outside?
Most of the time. Several others have had the same problem. It only takes one good rain to get water in there as there's no way for it to drain.

/ Max 28 won't start
I spoke to probably 15 dealers back in the day, they said by far the Max line was their best model in terms of reliability. Your the first to talk about wiring issues, outside of a glow plug wire that melts.

i've been here since 15, and I prolly could count on one hand wiring issues for max that I have seen. where are you seeing all these issues?
One of those wires goes to the glow plug. Bet that's why the wire melted.

/ Max 28 won't start #13  
One of those wires goes to the glow plug. Bet that's why the wire melted.
its a connector issue on the glow plug rail, its a quick disconnect, doesn't seem rated for the amperage.

any idea where the water comes in at? the hood seems pretty protective

/ Max 28 won't start #14  
Found the problem. The wiring harness on the right side under the dash collects water and of course the main hot wire splits into three wires right at the bottom where it bends and enters the engine compartment. It's just a crimp connection and the water in the harness causes it to corrode and eat the wires at the connection. Absolutely the worst place you could put such a connection. View attachment 720578View attachment 720579
Looks like a tinfoil sandwich was left in there.

/ Max 28 won't start
its a connector issue on the glow plug rail, its a quick disconnect, doesn't seem rated for the amperage.

any idea where the water comes in at? the hood seems pretty protective
Don't know where it comes in from, but it dripped for 10 minutes after I opened up the harness.

/ Max 28 won't start #16  
How about that. The frequent wiring problems we see on the Max models never cease to amaze me, it's like a plague. They really did a crappy job with the wiring harness. I've seen better wiring on used boats!
Agree,
If you want decent paint, plastic, wiring, decals that last, get a Kubota, or be handy with a Manindra.

/ Max 28 won't start #17  
Check the bus bar for the glow plugs. Been nice if it were nickel plated copper or something.

/ Max 28 won't start #18  
Found the problem. The wiring harness on the right side under the dash collects water and of course the main hot wire splits into three wires right at the bottom where it bends and enters the engine compartment. It's just a crimp connection and the water in the harness causes it to corrode and eat the wires at the connection. Absolutely the worst place you could put such a connection. View attachment 720578View attachment 720579

Attachments

• 50176539-D4E8-4276-A890-8478E39BC432.jpeg
    50176539-D4E8-4276-A890-8478E39BC432.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
   / Max 28 won't start #19  
Thanks for sharing! I have been going crazy trying to figure this problem out.

/ Max 28 won't start #20  
Thanks for sharing! I have been going crazy trying to figure this problem out.
is your machine stored outside? doesn't look like corrosion more like it broke from vibration, wire looks clean, also interesting its another max28