Members in their 70s?

/ Members in their 70s? #91  
71 pushing 72 and still pretty much doing what I want when I want. One of the fortunate few who do not take any prescription drugs.
72 myself and the only meds I take are for marginally high BP.
This age is kind of a sweet spot...young enough to still be able to do pretty much what I want (maybe a bit slower than before), but old enough to play the "old man" card to get out of doing something you don't really want to do. Of course, that only works with people a decade or more younger than you...

/ Members in their 70s? #92  
^ +1 Will be 73 this week, and I've found this to be true.

/ Members in their 70s? #93  
In my 70's. Now I have to pre think a lot of things I used to just do.
Still cut and split firewoood and lots of other stuff.
Like the song says I'm as good once as I ever was. after that I might have to take a nap.

/ Members in their 70s? #94  
I like that description… Pre Think

/ Members in their 70s? #95  
89+ here.....but do all that I want to do.....only slower and usually feel rough the next day. I guess that genetics, luck and only a few bad habits set the pace.....Staying "active" all my life probably helped too.

Here's some pics of recent activities.

Cheers,
Mike
My hero. Looking forward to seeing your posts for another decade at least Mike. Then you can slow down a little.

/ Members in their 70s? #96  
At 63 I can still do anything I want or need to do, cut trees, split wood, build, load and unload lumber, hook up attachments, etc. just a little slower than I would have 10 years ago. Like the song says, “I’m not as good as I once was but I’m as good once as I ever was.” Obviously that only holds true for so long. So if you're 70+ and if you could go back and give advice to your 10 or 15 year younger self, what would that be (as far as living the rural life and keeping up with a large property) and if you just want to throw in general life advice as well, have at it.
Don't take a desk job at 63 and expect to be able to continue doing the physical work you used to.

My desk job killed me!

/ Members in their 70s? #97  
My friend and neighbor is 95 and has known me since I was 5.

Over the years helped with lots of projects…mostly landscape… grew up on a farm driving tractors and got a special drivers license at age 12 to take produce to market when his father was injured and he being the oldest… signed by Chief of Police.

He may have slowed down but incredible memory… just the other day I was looking for something and he reminded me I had loaned it out a couple of years ago and he was right.

Still nice to run a project by someone well into their 90’s with experience to share.

He and his wife will soon be married 75 years…

/ Members in their 70s? #99  
If you haven't saw the movie "The Mule" starring Clint Eastwood, check it out. Very worth the time of old men like us.

/ Members in their 70s? #100  
I agree with getting regular and as vigorous exercise as possible, good diet, and slowing down a bit but not stopping. Your body will tell you when you've done enough. Sometimes it is hard to accept it isn't as much as you used to do. But at other times you feel great that you are able to still do as much as you do.

Other ramblings:
I am not so sure about the "no salt" advice. If you have high blood pressure, of course you need to limit your salt intake, but if you don't have high blood pressure, I am not convinced that moderate amounts are so dangerous, if not beneficial.
Statin drugs are indeed very worth while in keeping your arteries clean and flexible.
I do not deal with heights nearly as well as I used to and am very cautious on ladders and such.
Getting plenty of sleep contributes significantly to good health.
Let go of stress. Life is so much more enjoyable if you don't allow your troubles to harass you and don't dwell on the unpleasant things in life. Many people think that they have no ability to choose what they think about. But you indeed do, so chose to make most of your thoughts positive and joyful.
You should talk to my urologist. Salt in your diet is really hard on your kidneys, which will show up later in life. I've never had high blood pressure, but every time I see her, she lectures me about laying off the salt shaker. I always thought you had to salt a baked potato, but McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic Pepper Salt Free Seasoning really works to bring out the flavor. Your tastes may vary. We also grow an herb garden. It's not uncommon for us to cook whole meals with no added salt.

Sugar is also a killer. I allow myself ice cream twice a year, sweeten breakfast cereal with berries only, and limit pastries to one a month. No glazed donuts or bear claws.

I'm really not a food freak. With lifelong low cholesterol I can eat what I want, though I'm eating more fish than I did 50 years ago. I rarely eat out, which means my meals bypass the food chemists who try to trigger cravings.

I feel that the real key to my happy 7th decade has been physical and mental exercise. If there is one thing I live by, it's "Use it or lose it." At 75 I'm still cutting and hand splitting my own firewood, hand spading and raking my garden instead of buying a rototiller, going on mushroom forays and then using stains and a lab quality microscope to identify species, building electronic projects from scratch using discrete components and modern ICs, etc. If I'm on the tractor or working in the shop, I wear ear buds and as often as not am listening to Great Courses. This week it's "Understanding Russia," which gives me insight into the totalitarian history of that nation.

Mental and physical exercise every day. There will come a time when that will end, and the longer I live the closer that time gets. Until then I'm going to stay interested and engaged with life. Just last night my wife was commenting on how complex our lives are. She's still on the board of a couple nonprofits and does grant writing consultations. Just this month one of her friends gave us a Maksutov-Cassegrain astronomical telescope on a computerized equatorial mount that I have to learn to use. In return, we have a beautiful antique cabbage shredder banjo and he makes sauerkraut. I have to refurb the banjo because it's 100 years old and a little cruddy. Researching how to tin the metal again I found out about tinning flux. What I do is not so important as the need to continually challenge myself mentally and physically.

When I was a kid, the phrase, "He died with his boots on," was considered high praise. I didn't understand until I saw it happen. My mother's best friend was found dead on a bench by her back door, her boot laces still in her hands. In contrast, my dad died in hospice, drugged into insensibility to avoid agonizing pain. The pain and drugs took his mind long before his body quit.

Meanwhile, a little buck with new antler nubs just walked past my window, to nibble the ornamental plum in the back yard. The dew is still on the grass, but as soon as it dries a bit I'm on the tractor to try to catch up on mowing and brush control. It's a beautiful spring day, and I have custom made boots that fit my feet perfectly. Life is good.