Metal building with no gutters?

/ Metal building with no gutters? #31  
Gutters arent necessary.

Gutters are to prevent erosion around the foundation from the water coming off the roof.

If your ground isnt sloped away from the building properly, gutters or no gutters isnt gonna make a difference and you are gonna be wet around your building.

Slope ground away from building pad 4-5' to keep water away naturally. And if desired, install drainage tile to around the perimeter.

Now the only thing to address is the erosion. On my building....one whole side is driveway....so no erosion there of good stone. The other side, I bordered with stone for both aesthetics and to prevent erosion. An overhang is gonna make the border have to extend farther from the building.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #32  
We are finalizing the details on our shop building. It will be 14' at the shoulder and cleaning gutters as we get older will be difficult to say the least.

I am considering extending the roof a foot or so beyond the walls and using a ground drain to channel the water away from the foundation.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any other recommendations for a decent alternative? Things to consider?

We get about 48 inches of rain a 2 inches of snow a year. Monthly rainfall goes from about 2.5 inches to about 6 inches.
Many colonial homes and buildings used “ground gutter”. As long as water can’t pool against the building you’re fine.

Attachments

• DDEFBC6A-78A5-4505-99BE-DA510C66ACBA.jpeg
    DDEFBC6A-78A5-4505-99BE-DA510C66ACBA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
   / Metal building with no gutters? #33  
The reason I put in the french drain is long an complicated. When they build my house and put in the furnace outlet they installed it too close to the ground. They really could not put it any higher. What they really did was that they dug my basement too deep. House is not on level ground and basement is deeper where they located the furnace vent. Anyway, I started out to fix this issue and dug the ground lower around the furnace vent and I went out quite far in order to get a nice shallow grade rather then a pit under the vent. Then we got a really big rainfall and I ended up with a pool in my hard against the house that took 2 days to sink in. This is when I decided to put in the french drain to correct the drainage issue that I had created. Instead of just doing that area I decided to do it around the entire house.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #34  
^^that sounds like what I want to do. How long have you had it? How does it work for you? Any lessons to pass along?
LeafGaurd is what I was going to suggest but somebody beat me to it. Beldon Roofing does a lot of that up in the big city down here. I don't have it because I don't have any "Big" trees near the house. I still have to clean the gutters out though because of the dust and dirt that accumulates on the roof and runs down into the gutters when it does rain. I have one of those sprayers on a pole I use about every other year. (We don't get much rain down here either.) :giggle:

/ Metal building with no gutters? #35  
After living with gutters on a house we had built in 1983, I'd never put gutters on a building of any kind, not even the out house .

I would use the plan in reply #6 some how , some way , of some form .

/ Metal building with no gutters? #36  
After living with gutters on a house we had built in 1983, I'd never put gutters on a building of any kind, not even the out house .
Have to agree. Especially if you live where there is snow. If you don't take them off then ice can build up in them and back up under your roofing. If that does not happen then the snow sliding off the roof will rip them off.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #37  
A frequent problem is convincing a contractor how high the building elevation should be to effectively drain water away . It's simpler and cost effective for him to use a piece of earth moving equipment and dig a flat / level hole to set it in . I see that happen more often than not . Unless specified in a set of plans and a contract that's what you'll get .

/ Metal building with no gutters? #38  
Many colonial homes and buildings used “ground gutter”. As long as water can’t pool against the building you’re fine.
That also causes shrubs and flower beds to be put in their place rather than up against a structure where they shouldn't be . And if you did unsightly brick or concrete work as i might , the shrubs disguise that .

/ Metal building with no gutters? #39  
I like the idea of french drain or ground gutter. I'm thinking of taking the gutters off my pole barn because they are a nuisance to keep clean. I had them put on when I re-roofed it years ago and wish I had not.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #40  
I had a 56x40x14 building with an overhang built several years ago and skipped the gutters with no problems. I did put a 10 ft. piece of gutter over my service door to keep the water from splashing from the cement apron onto my door. I have 20 ft. doors at both ends so no water from the roof comes down near the doors.