Metro vs SAE

/ Metro vs SAE #11  
Kubota tractors use several British hydraulic fittings mixed with JIC and SAE. British thread grease zerks too.
BSP is used everywhere in Europe, the common pipe thread used on water pipes etc is British but it's size is give in metric 1" is called R25 here I live.

/ Metro vs SAE #12  
All kidding aside, I agree we should be on the metric system and if metric fasteners aren't common between countries they should be.
They are the same all over when it comes to thread size and pitch, they are so common that nobody except the US uses pitch on STD metric bolts, all else uses just diameter as the pitch is STD if it's not listed.

/ Metro vs SAE #13  
As far back as 40 years ago we had Made in USA carrot packaging machines that had SAE on the main machines and and a mix of metric and SAE on the bag sealing mechanisms.

Small Allen head setscrews are almost impossible to distinguish between the two systems.

/ Metro vs SAE #14  
I would say it seems like most of the stuff I work on these days is metric fasteners. This includes vehicles, tractors and small engines. I am a land surveyor and our state DOT went all in on the metric system. That lasted just a few years and they switched back to English. I did a couple of jobs in metric and it was not to bad except leveling. I really struggled with the metric level rod. We had one long term job in design, started in English, changed to metric, changed back to English. That is spending the tax payers money wisely.

/ Metro vs SAE #15  
BSP is used everywhere in Europe, the common pipe thread used on water pipes etc is British but it's size is give in metric 1" is called R25 here I live.

R25 would seem to equate to 25.4 mm to the inch.

/ Metro vs SAE #16  
SAE and Metric

maxresdefault.jpg

/ Metro vs SAE #17  
I agree that the metric system has benefits, however not all metric measurements make sense. Specifically, wood volume. The metric system uses a cubic meter as the board volume unit. Not a very friendly or useful measurement for the cabinetmaker.

Doug in SW IA

/ Metro vs SAE #18  
I agree that the metric system has benefits, however not all metric measurements make sense. Specifically, wood volume. The metric system uses a cubic meter as the board volume unit. Not a very friendly or useful measurement for the cabinetmaker.

Doug in SW IA
Cubic meter? 1000L squarebox doesn't make any sense if you are talking about boards, m or m2 is the usual way. m3 is used for firewood or truckloads of timber.

/ Metro vs SAE #20