Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #11  
CHANGE THE FUEL FILTERS!!!

CHANGE THE FUEL FILTERS!!!

Especially the one on the bottom of the tractor.

Make sure your fuel containers are clean.

Check the belt tension on the air pump.

Make sure the glow plug on the burner has 11 volts. It has a voltage regulator.

If the filters are stopped up, the burner injectors will not get enough fuel flow to keep them cool, thus forth, they melt down!

The dealer needs to clean the tank, change the filters and install a new set of injectors.

When the cleaning lights come on, it is your responsibility to make sure the tractor is at 1800 rpm or higher throughout the entire process.

The more you adjust the throttle, the longer the cycle will take.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #12  
I really like the size and power it has. I am no tractor expert in any way, but have had a couple of older ones that I found more work in keeping them running than worth the time. The 1739e was the break point for me. Cost was great, 5 year warrantee is great, so I imagine that once this issue is resolved at a top level, these will be awesome value for small farms like mine (only 7 acres) and I presume would have many uses on larger farms.
It handles easy. I opted not to go with the hydro trans. I don't have any problems with it other than forgetting to make sure it is completely stopped before taking out of gear (Takes a while to get back into gear without grinding) but other than that. I have put 170 hours on mine in a year and a half, and it works hard. Right size for me, has better break out power on the bucket than most other similar size/priced units.

The dealer I bought from went out of business, and the new dealer (actually closer to me) is a bit back woods style operated, so will have to see if they finally get it right
Thanks, I have a Mahindra Max 28XL now. 300 hours and it's been great. Just thinking about getting a bigger one. I looked at the MF 1739e geared. Also looked at the Mahindra 1640 cause they don't use DPF. Still up on the air. Only have experience with those two brands.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues
Change the fuel filter underneath the tractor!!!

Use a carquest filter. Part number 86006.

I did order several more of these for once the tractor comes back. Walmart has them under $3, so ordered 5 just to keep on hand. Thanks for the cross reference. I had changed the filter at the 50 hour change, but will be able to change them much more often from now on to make sure there is no chance that is causing the problems.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carquest...gsFRrLloCu5qWwgN5KIwnwPLLH9X3UkQaAj5UEALw_wcB

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #14  
I did order several more of these for once the tractor comes back. Walmart has them under $3, so ordered 5 just to keep on hand. Thanks for the cross reference. I had changed the filter at the 50 hour change, but will be able to change them much more often from now on to make sure there is no chance that is causing the problems.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carquest...gsFRrLloCu5qWwgN5KIwnwPLLH9X3UkQaAj5UEALw_wcB
You'll be in good shape! As long as there isn't a leaf in the tank...

I like the aftermarket filter better.

It is a mesh screen instead of a paper element.

Agco uses the paper element filter and it gets stopped up way too fast.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues
You'll be in good shape! As long as there isn't a leaf in the tank...

I like the aftermarket filter better.

It is a mesh screen instead of a paper element.

Agco uses the paper element filter and it gets stopped up way too fast.

No idea why MF does not have a good parts list for filters and such in the OM. It was difficult to find what all filters were needed, they want you to only use original parts that are extremely over priced. I could understand if they used high end filters, but most are not even fair quality from what I have seen.
In a car or truck, the operators manual lists out recommended filters that are designed to be replaced, but MF? Nope! Not that I could find anywhere and their website is an absolute nightmare to locate anything for me.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #16  
It appears that every brand of Tier 4 final small diesel tractors are having issues. Sure am glad both of mine smoke....:D

Well ..... some say.....don't be afraid of Tier IV.
If someone gave me a Tier IV tractor......I would put it up for sale the next day.
The smell of diesel, is the smell of a simple and trouble free tractor for me.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #17  
Well ..... some say.....don't be afraid of Tier IV.
If someone gave me a Tier IV tractor......I would put it up for sale the next day.
The smell of diesel, is the smell of a simple and trouble free tractor for me.

I agree but no one ever gives me anything but a hard time. I guess, at some point, we will all be dealing with it, or at least the younger set will. Me, I plan on being planted by then.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #18  
I agree but no one ever gives me anything but a hard time. I guess, at some point, we will all be dealing with it, or at least the younger set will. Me, I plan on being planted by then.

As you suggest......there will NEVER be any Tier IV for me either....for the same age reason.
It could be that the VA cemeteries may all use Tier IV machines now.
Guess I really won't care though when it is my turn.

Last edited:
   / Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #19  
No idea why MF does not have a good parts list for filters and such in the OM. It was difficult to find what all filters were needed, they want you to only use original parts that are extremely over priced. I could understand if they used high end filters, but most are not even fair quality from what I have seen.
In a car or truck, the operators manual lists out recommended filters that are designed to be replaced, but MF? Nope! Not that I could find anywhere and their website is an absolute nightmare to locate anything for me.
Get your dealer to sign you up for partsbooks to go.

SAE- standard of automotive engineering. Cars are fairly universal and everyone needs one. Tractors are a different story. Maybe one day, they will have an engineering standard too, where the parts are easy to find and cross reference. Till then, all manufacturers are a little unreasonable in some way shape or form.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #20  
Change the fuel filter underneath the tractor!!!

Use a carquest filter. Part number 86006.

YES - and and definately changer the small fuel filter under the tractor - that filter is not shown in some of the earlier op manuals.