MF 4609 suddenly does not drive or lift loader

/ MF 4609 suddenly does not drive or lift loader #1  

prairiegirl

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2950, 7200, Kubota, MF
We were seeding and while turning around the tractor 'popped out of gear', anyway, it stopped moving forward. No broken linkages. Steering and loader no longer work either. Valves still work for loader will go down. It was running warm a few times because of plantmaterial on screen; removed it.
What do you think, hydraulic pump?

/ MF 4609 suddenly does not drive or lift loader #2  
What type of transmission do you have? Shuttle shift or something else?

Was there any other noises that you noticed?

Did you check the hydraulic oil level?

Hydraulic pumps rarely die that suddenly without some other cause so I would not condemn the pump without doing a little additional diagnosis.

On a tractor that size I would suspect there would be a pump for steering and shuttle shift, possibly PTO and a second pump for the loader and 3 point. This might be two gear sets in a common housing or two separate pumps.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on that model will chime in with things to check.

/ MF 4609 suddenly does not drive or lift loader #3  
I would think a sudden loss of everything as you describe indicates the hydraulic pump has stopped turning. For whatever reason. Mechanical failure in the gear train that drives it? Maybe the center hub tore out of the drive plate on the flywheel? Something like that.

Start at the pump itself. Under the left side of the cab, mounted down low on the clutch housing. Put a bucket or pan under it. Crack the output line from the pump loose, back it off a couple turns and briefly, (like for two seconds) start the tractor. If you don't see a noticeable blast of oil shoot out while the engine is running, you need to find out why.

/ MF 4609 suddenly does not drive or lift loader
What type of transmission do you have? Shuttle shift or something else?

Was there any other noises that you noticed?

Did you check the hydraulic oil level?

Hydraulic pumps rarely die that suddenly without some other cause so I would not condemn the pump without doing a little additional diagnosis.

On a tractor that size I would suspect there would be a pump for steering and shuttle shift, possibly PTO and a second pump for the loader and 3 point. This might be two gear sets in a common housing or two separate pumps.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on that model will chime in with things to check.
It seems the hydraulic pump is attached to the transmission and there is a plate connection between the engine and the transmission that likely failed. It is at the mechanic now but he is quite busy.