MF65

/ MF65 #1  

NorthCountryJimmy

Tractor
Deere 950
Hi, New guy and an ex city guy with little tractor experience at that.
I find myself now in a rural place with a good deal of forest land access.
I built myself a mill during this covid business and now am looking to do some hobby logging for milling into lumber.
I have a nice old Deere 950 with FEL. I like it alot, has been a good first tractor, I think.
I am thinking I may want to look for something a little bigger for my new hobby activities. There's a seemingly well cared for Massey 65, Gas, no attachments up for sale in my area. Any opinions on whether that might be a good fit?

/ MF65 #2  
I don't know if I would like a gas tractor for day to day use.
That's just me.

/ MF65 #3  
Hi, New guy and an ex city guy with little tractor experience at that.
I find myself now in a rural place with a good deal of forest land access.
I built myself a mill during this covid business and now am looking to do some hobby logging for milling into lumber.
I have a nice old Deere 950 with FEL. I like it alot, has been a good first tractor, I think.
I am thinking I may want to look for something a little bigger for my new hobby activities. There's a seemingly well cared for Massey 65, Gas, no attachments up for sale in my area. Any opinions on whether that might be a good fit?
Hey welcome to TBN ! If You could swing it I would try & keep both tractors that way You can commit one tractor to do other things & the other would be available for the other chores ! & if one is down for maintenance or other issues You will still have a working tractor . & there is nothing wrong with a gasoline tractor ! I still have the 1st tractor I bought used 26 years ago & it's a gasoline tractor & I still use it year round for skidding logs ,splitting firewood , snow removal, & grading our private road ! It's a 1959 M-F 50 with a Z134 Continental engine , I did buy a newer tractor in 2018 to work with my dump truck! & it's a M-F 1526 Diesel ( Iseki ) with a fel & 4wd . The point is it frees up my M-F 50 so that it remains dedicated for what I bought for 26 years ago & the newer M-F 1526 is dedicated for what I bought it for, & it saves wear & tear on both of them , & the M-F 50 has been very reliable ! & I have no regrets on buying her & keeping her ( Stella ) So IMHO it would be a good fit IMG_20201003_134009.jpg

/ MF65 #4  
The MF65 is a proven workhorse,easy to work on and parts are available if needed. If it has a fel or you plan adding one,the hydraulics are a little slow but a crank driven pump will solve that.

/ MF65
Thanks for the replies. Stella looks very classy there.
The 65 I am thinking about doesnt have a FEL. Ad says new brakes, pto seals, axle seals and rear hydro ports. 90% rubber. 1958 model. Asking 3,500. Been for sale about half a year.

/ MF65 #6  
A MF65 in good condition would sell quick for $3,500 in N Tx. Being on the market for 6 months prompts me to advise taking an experienced person when you go to look at it. "Doctored"tractors is big business. My standard advice to inexperienced buyers is that paying for eyes on expert advise is money well spent.

/ MF65
Thanks for the input, folks. I wish it had a loader is the only thing.
279268581_10227570705161537_6260322223896587874_n.jpg

What are your thoughts on a
Massey ferguson 175 with what looks like a strong loader. $4,000, 6,900 hrs. Perkins diesel, Looks barn kept.

/ MF65 #8  
If it performs as well as it looks,$4k is a bargain. Two things that I like on first glance is bucket hasn't been abused and chains on tires lead me to think it has been used for snow duty which is Childs play for that machine. Tell me it's diesel and I might try buying it from under you.:sneaky:

/ MF65
Sold before I got to it. Here is a pic of the gas 65 that's still available. I plan to go look soon.
245953840_245731097579702_7491404332783558052_n.jpg