Mid-PTO stalling engine. FIrst use...

/ Mid-PTO stalling engine. FIrst use... #1  

mgstevens

Silver Member
Tractor
MF GC2410 "Cliffy", JD R72 "Moe Greene"
My first time installing my new snowblower (2360) on my 2410, and every time I release the clutch the engine dies.

The only suspect part of the install was the tractor end of the PTO shaft. I greased/oiled everything before mounting and the lock ring moved well, but when I put it on the output shaft I couldn't easily find the lock position and ended up pushing it toward the hydro, where it did indeed "lock" but not with a click that I heard, and I was unable to budge it forward after that.

I'm thinking I may need to go back and make sure that end is on correctly. If anyone agrees, or has another idea from experience, please reply.

/ Mid-PTO stalling engine. FIrst use... #2  
IF splines are engaged even with it not properly "locked" it should not stall engine... I would look at new snowblower to see if there is problem...

Dale

/ Mid-PTO stalling engine. FIrst use...
The snowblower is new and the drivetrain moves smoothly when in neutral. I took another look, removed the PTO shaft to get the position right, and while off, and for the first time, engaged the PTO - no shaft - and it died.

I see a switch in the PTO clutch linkage, and am looking for some reference to it in the manual. I will also search online.

I have already dealt with two other safety switches (seat, neutral) and their effects. It would not surprise me that if there is one here in the PTO, it needs attention of some kind.

Seems like the PTO safety switch is there to stop the engine starting if the PTO clutch is not engaged. How does the switch know the machine is running and it's OK to engage the PTO?

The other two safety switches have been tied off. The seat switch shorted out this summer and I had to get to know those two switches in the bargain, but this PTO safety switch is likely my culprit, if I could understand how it is failing in my situation.

Any ideas?

/ Mid-PTO stalling engine. FIrst use... #4  
Is the 540 PTO in the off position?
Are you sitting on the seat?
Can you engage the 540 PTO without it stalling?
Can you spin the 2000 PTO shaft by hand when off (you may have said this)

Just ideas

/ Mid-PTO stalling engine. FIrst use... #5  
My first time installing my new snowblower (2360) on my 2410, and every time I release the clutch the engine dies.

The only suspect part of the install was the tractor end of the PTO shaft. I greased/oiled everything before mounting and the lock ring moved well, but when I put it on the output shaft I couldn't easily find the lock position and ended up pushing it toward the hydro, where it did indeed "lock" but not with a click that I heard, and I was unable to budge it forward after that.

I'm thinking I may need to go back and make sure that end is on correctly. If anyone agrees, or has another idea from experience, please reply.

Put the PTO in neutral, start engine and increase the RPM. Then engage mid mount, then take PTO out of neutral. Also try engaging PTO with out mid mount connected. It most def sounds like a seat safety switch to me.

/ Mid-PTO stalling engine. FIrst use...
I was trying to understand how the safety switches worked. The single cut off action makes sense, but the combination of two switches together is not so clear. But, with the idea that there are two switches working together somehow, I went back out to look at the other two safety switches.

I can see how the switch in the PTO clutch would stop the engine from starting if the clutch was disengaged. But, once started, the clutch release hits the same switch and is not supposed to kill the engine, so it seems another switch needs to be in the mix somewhere...

Anyway, in the end, I checked the seat switch, and even though it's tied off, and the tractor is starting without a butt in the seat, the zap-strap had slipped back a bit. I slid it back to move the switch arm into place and, uh-huh, the PTO ran just fine. With snow coming within days, so they say, that was a feeling of relief.

Makes sense. Virtually every system has needed some refit/tweak to become fully operative. They all yield sooner or later.