Middle Buster

/ Middle Buster #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
I have to do alot of trenching to bury some water pipe and do some electrical. Someone suggested a middle buster but from what Ive read online they seem to have an approx max depth of 12 inches. Id like to go just a little deeper than that if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions?

Loose sand for the most part but Im sure Ill encounter some roots.

/ Middle Buster #2  
I trenched for a 4" drain pipe to go under a driveway I'd added 10 yd of crushed limestone to cap earlier this year.

I left the 'plow blade' on the MB and tweaked the lift and top links to get the most depth.

For the last several passes I had two guys stand on the MB for depth, but while it would still scratch ok we had to shovel out what we loosened by then.

I'd thought of, but hadn't tried, just swapping out the OEM 'blade' and rigging something to scratch deeper. (two bolts/holes) There would still be some shoveling to remove the tailings with a sharp-shooter AKA drain spade going much deeper than 12". IMO being in 'loose sand' will make the job easier.

I'm about to trench 200' or so for windmill air lines. I was surprised to read that 6" depth would be fine. No roots to deal with here, but if some are expected a cordless recip saw is the ticket to getting thru them quickly with cheap blades and minimal elbow grease. btw, I use my smallest tractor with the MB, 1.0 L and it has plenty of power for the task.

/ Middle Buster #3  
I bought an EA subsoiler for just this task. You can then also buy just the middle buster plow (not the entire framework), for like $70, and take the ripping tooth off of the subsoiler and replace it with the middle buster. The bolt pattern is the same (for the EA ones). The only problem is the plow has a crown down the middle that doesn't perfectly mate to the flat surface you bolt to on the subsoiler. Still, if you torque everything down good, you don't have a problem. I did this as I wasn't sure which tool, or combination of them, would work best.

Having said that, when digging trenches, I don't use the middle buster. I found the most effective thing to do was make multiple passes with the subsoiler, and then come at the trench perpendicular to the direction you plan on laying the pipe, and scoop out the loosened up dirt with the front bucket.

The problem is this only works if you have good access all around the trench. Hand work will still be necessary.

For tight quarters, you may consider making some passes with the subsoiler first, to break up the ground, and then use a stump bucket on the front so you can dig down the length of the trench without making too wide of a ditch.

/ Middle Buster #4  
I see videos on youtube of people using subsoilers for trenching. Narrower and a bit deeper.
I had family in Ocala near you, 12" should be fine for about anything, no frost line, much deeper you'll hit the water table and you can call it a shallow well lol

/ Middle Buster
Some good ideas and appreciated

/ Middle Buster #7  
I needed to put in a curtain drain and a gutter drain
We first ripped the path twice with the subsoiler. Our ground is rocky clay.
Then we used the middle buster or tater plow as we call it to open up the ditch.
My son did the tractor work and I supervised.

IMG_2381.JPG

/ Middle Buster
Great looking old tractor

/ Middle Buster #9  
I have to do alot of trenching to bury some water pipe and do some electrical. Someone suggested a middle buster but from what Ive read online they seem to have an approx max depth of 12 inches. Id like to go just a little deeper than that if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions?

Loose sand for the most part but Im sure Ill encounter some roots.

You should consider the Subsoiler #73410 from Agri Supply ($164.99) with the Pipe Layer #73622 attachment ($124.99).
I bought that system from them, and it is a good little rig.
Can be used with pipe up to 2" dia.

Nearest Agri Supply location to you may be the one in Valdosta, GA.
I have found the company to be excellent to deal with, both at their stores, and with having items shipped.
The Subsoiler must be truck shipped. (the pipe layer attachment can be sent UPS).

/ Middle Buster
You should consider the Subsoiler #73410 from Agri Supply ($164.99) with the Pipe Layer #73622 attachment ($124.99).
I bought that system from them, and it is a good little rig.
Can be used with pipe up to 2" dia.

Nearest Agri Supply location to you may be the one in Valdosta, GA.
I have found the company to be excellent to deal with, both at their stores, and with having items shipped.
The Subsoiler must be truck shipped. (the pipe layer attachment can be sent UPS).
Subsoiler - modified cable, wire and pipe burier/layer - YouTube