Mitsubishi MT4201FS

/ Mitsubishi MT4201FS #11  
On that tractor, I would expect some sort of hydraulic shuttle rather than an HST, however there is very little info available online about this tractor.

Some of these Japanese tractors had some crazy features for such compact tractors, like hydraulic shuttle, power shift transmissions (like some old Yanmars), along with a lot more features.

/ Mitsubishi MT4201FS
I could not find numbers on the engine, but found these on the main body just under the seat.

140D-50451

I drove it and noticed that on several occasions, when I turn the steering wheel, it would stop the tractor. This makes me believe it is hst. Where is the level dip stick to check that fluid? is it the one by the PTO? Thanks.

/ Mitsubishi MT4201FS #13  
I could not find numbers on the engine, but found these on the main body just under the seat.

140D-50451

I drove it and noticed that on several occasions, when I turn the steering wheel, it would stop the tractor. This makes me believe it is hst. Where is the level dip stick to check that fluid? is it the one by the PTO? Thanks.
With an HST tractor, you have two pedals on the right. One moves the tractor forward, the other moves backward. Is this the case?

With an hydraulic shuttle, if the hydraulic system is not working right, it may not apply the clutch packs to engage whatever direction you want.

/ Mitsubishi MT4201FS

140D-50451

/ Mitsubishi MT4201FS
Here are pictures of the dash. what does the Lever, left of the turn signal switch do? And yes, I am emailing Valley power for manuals. But in the mean time, what does this do? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• dash 1.jpg
    dash 1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • dash 2.jpg
    dash 2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
   / Mitsubishi MT4201FS #16  
That lever usually mean it's a shuttle shift. The means you flip that lever to forward or backwards. This shuttle can either being mechanical with a dry clutch or hydraulic with two clutch packs, one for each direction. In this later case the clutch pedal just dumps the pressure of the clutch packs.

However, that lever doesn't look quite right to me. Almost if it is disconnected. It looks way to close to the dash both. Should be higher, almost as the same lever of the steering wheel. Have tried to peek under those covers to look for anything obviously wrong?

/ Mitsubishi MT4201FS
With an HST tractor, you have two pedals on the right. One moves the tractor forward, the other moves backward. Is this the case?

With an hydraulic shuttle, if the hydraulic system is not working right, it may not apply the clutch packs to engage whatever direction you want.
No, there are not any pedals that are forward and reverse. I have a high low 4 speed with a clutch. I also have a pto with 4 speeds.

I have a modern hydrostatic, and this is nothing like it. But again, the tractor does not slip like a slipping clutch, it just stops very similar to my modern hydrostatic. I can wait for 30 seconds to a minute and it will move again, very discrete and hard, no slip. very strange to me. And the turning the tractor often causes it to stop, which leads me to believe there is a hydraulic component I do not understand.

/ Mitsubishi MT4201FS

NO. sounds like I may have the hydraulic shuttle you mention. oh boy, a bigger learning curve than I anticipated. Thank you.

/ Mitsubishi MT4201FS #19  
Your image and that number seem to possibly match a MT4501D chassis, as does the age range.

If so, you have a single stage dry clutch. As mentioned above it should have about 1 inch of freeplay before engaging. You also do not feather this type of clutch, it is full engage/dis-engage.

Attached is an evaluation report that might give you more information to confirm or deny that it is the possible chassis match/doner for your tractor.

Sorting out your specific engine will take more work if you cannot find markings. View attachment Mitsubishi_MT-4501-D_Nr872_1983-englisch.pdf

/ Mitsubishi MT4201FS #20  
Actually, your last two images do not match it at all as far as I can tell, that is a much newer chassis style.