Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #21  
>If you really have a lot of used motor and hydraulic oils it may be worth your while to buy or build a waste oil heater for your house.

The filling station / garage I used to rely on had one of these furnaces. Worked a charm. Then the young man who ran the station had it sold out from under him by his father, and it's now an upscale grocery/meat store. I followed Jay to his "new" shop behind the railroad tracks, but alas he is no longer young and indeed retired a couple months ago, sigh.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor.
"you would think that the tankers arriving there in Valdez - could come loaded with refined petroleum products. They could off-load these products and then take on crude oil."

The tankers come in with sea water in them for ballast. We actually have a refinery that makes low sulfur diesel, jet fuel and heating oil. Most of that goes to the military bases. We import gas that comes in on tankers from Anchorage via tanker from Whittier. Our price(s) are fixed by Wall Street. Our Native American villages were paying over $16 a gallon a few weeks ago. Anchorage has opened two additional homeless shelters. Many villages are returning to wood but elders not capable of cutting are being left to buy fuel. It is getting really sad.

I would of been mixing the oil in the diesel for the tractor. But it is newer so I guess not. Time to park it. Diesel went up another 10 cents since I started the post.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #23  
Time to park it. Diesel went up another 10 cents since I started the post
Some of us have no choice as we don't have 'hobby' hobby tractors. I just bought 500 gallons of off road and paid a tad over 2 grand for it. Enough for maybe half the year. Being frugal like shutting down when not in the cab even though it gets hot inside and not idling any more than is necessary. Been running a bit below rated pto rpm too. The slower they turn, the more I save in diesel and both mine make sufficient power that I don't have to run at pto speed all the time.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #24  
Although an (older) diesel engine will run on most anything with hydrocarbon, including buttermilk (yes) it would by unwise to use used anything mixed with diesel. Contamination galore.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #25  
Simple read before you try it. If you have a lot of diesel powered equipment that is used a lot you could see some savings, but for one tractor, nope. This concept started in the early '50's by trucking fleets and large equipment operators that were using thousands of gallons a month, so the savings were more significant. Even Caterpillar had recommendations and formulas for it.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #26  
I used to work for a big company that burned used motor in semi trucks, many drivers refused to use that fuel claiming they lost power and would ruin the engines. It didn’t bother me at all and seemed to work fine but eventually the DNR stepped in and said they couldn’t burn it in trucks anymore because of pollution .
It does seem strange that the DNR approves burning used oil in heating systems but they do At least here in Wisconsin.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #27  
Some of us have no choice as we don't have 'hobby' hobby tractors. I just bought 500 gallons of off road and paid a tad over 2 grand for it. Enough for maybe half the year. Being frugal like shutting down when not in the cab even though it gets hot inside and not idling any more than is necessary. Been running a bit below rated pto rpm too. The slower they turn, the more I save in diesel and both mine make sufficient power that I don't have to run at pto speed all the time.

I wouldn’t be too upset about fueling a B series Kubota anyway. Even at $6.50 a gallon it doesn’t burn much.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #28  
Although an (older) diesel engine will run on most anything with hydrocarbon, including buttermilk (yes) it would by unwise to use used anything mixed with diesel. Contamination galore.
Hmmmm, then why is diesel blended to make BIO-DIESEL fuels then?

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #29  
Simple read before you try it. If you have a lot of diesel powered equipment that is used a lot you could see some savings, but for one tractor, nope. This concept started in the early '50's by trucking fleets and large equipment operators that were using thousands of gallons a month, so the savings were more significant. Even Caterpillar had recommendations and formulas for it.

The article didn't say much. I was hoping it would talk more towards dino used oil and synthetic used oil.

I've run bio-diesel with great success in my 1981 pre-emission machine. And I've blended 'refined' peanut oil to the clean diesel fuel with great success. For some reason you begin to crave fish-and-chips after a working use of the machine. This happens every time I've done it. :giggle:

Burning UTTO hydraulic fluid blended with diesel is possible as much of it is 10W30 oil as the base product. Ask several Chevy truck owners about blending UTTO with diesel, many swear by using it. Some blend 30% upwards to 100% with no starting issues with IDI systems. Diesel Place
"...Hydraulic oil is close enough to D2 that it can be run year round in most diesel engines. In really cold weather you could blend it with D1 at 50%, or gasoline at about 5%. However, you are correct, all waste oils should be settled to remove any water or coolant, and filtered down to 2 microns or better to remove any particulate...."

Canola oil was originally developed as a bio-fuel for diesel out of Sarnia Ontario Canada refineries. Today, we basically eat the stuff thinking it's healthy with that fat ring now around our middle torso instead of using it as a fuel.

To run blended fuels, the first thing to do prior is finding the tallest fuel filter to fit on the machine. This is a must along with a clear fuel bowl around the filter for observation.

Injector coking will not happen if using UTTO hydraulic fluid.

With 89-pages of Chevy diesel owners blending their fuel can be found here since it began in 2011. A hot topic even back then and now.

Back to the OPs question of MOTOR OIL+Diesel blend.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #30  
Anyone mixing used oil in with their diesel to cut the cost? I have old hydraulic and motor oil that I can filter and maybe mix in a quart per five gallons of diesel. We went to $6.40 a gallon today and if I project out the increases to winter plowing season, it looks like I might be shoveling this year.
I had a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. It wasn't my main means of transportation or I might not have attempted this. A friend had a farm with 6 tractors and he gave me all the used motor oil I wanted. I filtered the used motor oil down to 2 microns and mixed it 1/3 motor oil to 2/3 diesel. It ran just like 100% diesel and never had a problem.