Model A Ford.... I keep threatening.....

/ Model A Ford.... I keep threatening.....
Those finicky Model A's !

I was actually looking for coverage on Chinooks flying in BC, but since Design Simplicity was on my mind this week, had to watch this one that drifted by....

Where do you buy 600 wt oil.....

Rgds, D.

/ Model A Ford.... I keep threatening..... #42  
Many classic / vintage car businesses sell 600w.

As for buying, there is a huge range in asking price, as well as a huge range between asking and actual sell price.

There are a ton of cars in the 15-25k asking price, some are ridiculously over priced and some are show and high point cars not that practical for regular road use. You can get a good driver in the 10k range. Not perfect but more or less complete and reliable with regular tinkering.

Get in touch with your local club, they will have leads in cars for sale as many members are unfortunately downsizing or passing meaning more and more cars for sale. They’d also love to have a new member even if you don’t have a car yet. I can help you find a local club. PM me if you want more info.

IMG_8917.jpg

/ Model A Ford.... I keep threatening..... #43  
Many classic / vintage car businesses sell 600w.

As for buying, there is a huge range in asking price, as well as a huge range between asking and actual sell price.

There are a ton of cars in the 15-25k asking price, some are ridiculously over priced and some are show and high point cars not that practical for regular road use. You can get a good driver in the 10k range. Not perfect but more or less complete and reliable with regular tinkering.

Get in touch with your local club, they will have leads in cars for sale as many members are unfortunately downsizing or passing meaning more and more cars for sale. They’d also love to have a new member even if you don’t have a car yet. I can help you find a local club. PM me if you want more info.

View attachment 722473
Nice 1929 Briggs body Town Sedan...?

Last edited:
   / Model A Ford.... I keep threatening..... #44  
Murray town sedan.

/ Model A Ford.... I keep threatening..... #45  
I need to wear my reading glasses instead of squinting...

Makes sense in relation to your screen name...

/ Model A Ford.... I keep threatening..... #46  
Winner winner… you know the rest.

Winner winner… you know the rest.
Beautiful car, and picture CM. Thanks for the 411, and offer !

That profile shot reminds me..... better ground clearance than most modern SUVs, and probably way better approach angle than many modern pickups....

I would have watched that vid I posted today, regardless of who made it.... but I got a big kick out of that guy:

Lives in a Level4 Bio-Detail Lab.

Drives a late-model Porsche SUV.

Works on super-cars at least every second day.

Drives that doodlebug out of the ForestPatch...... many 4 year-olds aren't that excited on Christmas Morning ! :)

Rgds, D.

/ Model A Ford.... I keep threatening..... #48  
I’ve had a hankering for a Model T for a few years! I looked a Model A “Project” a few years back but the Widow was more attached to the garage full of disassembled parts than I was willing to spend.

I’ve spent the last 20 years on Land Rovers ( Crank start!) and early Ford Falcons before that.
314EC771-1B62-41A4-83B7-5E73B1D93140.jpeg

I recently retired so I have all the time in the World to noodle with cars!

cheers,
BN

Owner's Passing on..... none of us can beat Time, but this topic reminded me of a line from a Model Train guy......

"I hope my wife doesn't sell my collection, for what I told her I paid". :cool:

Hobbies/Addictions..... good fun, but can be spendy.....

Land Rover..... I understand the attraction.... different era, but in a few respects, not that much more complicated (OK, 4wd) than an A.

Anything close to an ur-Land Rover, reminds me of the movie The Gods Must Be Crazy. Took my in-laws to see it in the theatre, many years ago.

My FIL (not known for cracking a smile) had tears streaming down his face, he was laughing that hard. Wife said she'd never seen him laugh like that...... he'd worked in Africa, so had seen some similar situations live....

Any old vehicle will need attention, but if Lucas did the Rover electrics..... will certainly help you fill up your Noodling Time :).

I took a college-level automotive electrical course years back. I remember talking to the instructor about him helping a student with terrible cold-weather starting on his gasoline LR. IIRC (many years ago, will be my defense), he helped him install a big power diode or some other workaround, to get the coil higher voltage. That fix worked well enough, that he said the student no longer had any excuse to be late in Winter :cool:.

Rgds, D.

Posted this below in the MC thread just now..... thought a copy belonged here too (another example of Finding Parts for machines built 30 years before I was born, Much Easier than New Vehicles....) D. :cool:

Rainy day here.... got thinking back to a few minutes of Rev TV (Canuck gearhead channel) I caught in the lunchroom @ work early this week.

Organized meet of vintage bikes. Host is chatting with a guy with a 1937 Rudge MC.... brass (or bronze?) cylinder head, basically aero-tech quality at the time. Rudge owner talked about the work that went into restoring/rebuilding the gas tank, and when asked about the other major mechanical parts, said "Those, you just call ____ in Markham; they have them all on file to CNC".

I left my jaw on the floor of the lunchroom, on my way back to my desk to wrestle with sourcing parts for 5 to 10 y/old light and heavy vehicles.....

Kills me, when you can readily just open your wallet, and get parts that go onto a machine that rolled out the factory door before my mother learned to walk......

I haven't noticed any Rudge owners on here, but I recall the name as IRM, in Markham Ontario, Canada. A quick search just now led me to:

IRM Technologies

Between my Less Than Perfect Memory, and Just Guessing..... apologies if I send any Rudge owners on a wild-goose chase....

Rgds, D.