Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup...

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #201  
I hope you can get it for your mom. I am sure it would be a comfort for her.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #202  
I do... they never buy at auction and it looks like they would have to pay a $600 membership first.

This is why I went to the CSAA office... because the e-mail from the adjuster said... he made arrangements for me to bid and he hoping I get it...

This is my understanding on how this works in NC. We know someone with the license/membership who offered to help us buy a car at one of the auctions. We did not do it but thought about it long and hard. Does your friend know someone who has the membership would take you to the auction? In our case, we were going to pay the guy a few hundred for his time and such.

Really wish you could have gotten all of the photos back....

Later,
Dan

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup...
I put in several calls to friends/acquaintances in the auto business... so far none have connections with the salvage side of things... some go to the regular auctions.

Seems most of the buyers fall into 3 categories... body shops, scrap dealers and wrecking yards.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #204  
I put in several calls to friends/acquaintances in the auto business... so far none have connections with the salvage side of things... some go to the regular auctions.

Seems most of the buyers fall into 3 categories... body shops, scrap dealers and wrecking yards.

Do you know what happens if no one wants to buy the car ?? I know that's a long shot .

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #205  
Do you know what happens if no one wants to buy the car ?? I know that's a long shot .

The bidding will start at below scrap value. Somebody will buy it, though not necessarily as a car.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #206  
Can you at least get into the auction, whether you try to bid or not? If so, watch who buys it and then offer to buy it from them for more than they paid for it. If they're buying it for scrap, the should (hopefully) let you buy it for scrap value and they won't even have to haul it to the scrapper.

Good Luck with this! This has been an interesting thread.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #207  
Can you at least get into the auction, whether you try to bid or not? If so, watch who buys it and then offer to buy it from them for more than they paid for it. If they're buying it for scrap, the should (hopefully) let you buy it for scrap value and they won't even have to haul it to the scrapper.

Good Luck with this! This has been an interesting thread.
Good idea.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #208  
Ask your friendly LEO that helped you previously if they know anyone.

Or stand outside the auction with a sign "Help me buy my mom's car back"

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup...
I'm close to working out a deal and hope to have something positive to report next week... if all goes to plan, Mom's Corolla will be coming home.

I can't give the total amount of time I've devoted to this... it has been a lot from contacting the local media, law enforcement, auction yard, letters, emails etc... seems like we may have turned the corner... if not, I know it was not for lack of effort!