Mosin-Nagant hex receiver

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #12  
Here's what it should look like...the one on top... a Finnish Sako. The bottom one is a M38:

Web800_2mosins_38_39.jpg

The stock is special and unique to the M39 as is is very highly finished and finger jointed under the rear sight. The barrel is longer than the shorter M38 and the M44 below: The 38 and the 44 are basically the same gun, except the 44 has a bayonet.

web%20m44_1.jpg

and much shorter than the 91/30:

Web%209130_1.jpg

I can't tell you if a hex barrel would fit, I suspect it would. BUT scabbing together parts from different models would give you a gun with practically no value...you'd spend more time and money making it than you would ever get back on it if you ever tried to sell it.

You can buy 91/30 for little more than you'd spend to make your franken-gun.

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #13  
I wouldn't rush to replace a barrel without shooting it, since bore quality/condition usually affects cleaning routine more than accuracy. If the barrel is of legal length I'd touch up the crown and see what she'll do.

Recommend that you do NOT use mil-surp ammo as a benchmark of o'all shootability. For most any caliber what you'll find is surplus MG fodder or batch 'seconds'. Might want to spring for a box of Norma ammo, as it typically surprises MN owners compared to any mil-surp stuff.

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #14  
I got a Mosin-Nagant, from a 1/2 uncle in law, that he threw in a roll off dumpster when cleaning out an old house. The barrel is ruined and the stock is done. The marking seem to say it's a Finnish M39 made by Sako (I think) and has a barrel made in occupied Belgium in 1942. So, this gun was made for the "Continuation War" when Finland invaded the USSR with Germany.

So, I would like to get it shootable, but.. the problem is all the barrels I'm seeing are in the $100+ range, and the right stock (Finnish M39) are $70+. Could I use a M91/30, M44, or other Mosin Stock? Will a Hex receiver fit a stock used with a round reciever? If I replace the barrel, odds of finding a Belgian barrel, for close to cheap are near zero; so...

Part of me all along has said just go buy a M91/30 for $200; but now that I know I have a 1 in 50,000 instead of a 1 in 15,000,000.

Edit: parts are expensive, I probably could sell trigger parts, and bolt for (according to ebay) around $50-75, and then sell reciever to someone really wanting to build a "hex"

Sounds like good tradin' material to me!

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #16  
I have read about "Obrez" modification to make a Mosin "pistol" of sorts. Depending on barrel length and overall length could be very illegal.

Obrez: The Russian Mosin Fireball Conversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ_cAdufp_E

Well, what's so bad is someone tried to make the wooden stock into a pistol grip and hacksaw ed the barrel... I know they aren't Rare but it just feels wrong to destroy something like that "because i I thought it would look cool".

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #17  
Sounds like good tradin' material to me!

Since the gun has already been Sporterized, value is out the window. I know 91/30s are getting expensive but a M38 or M44 makes a nice shooter and aren't too expensive. The 91/30 is a long gun.

I have 2 m91 one round (91/30) and one a hex receiver with Ministry markings dated 1926. As well as an early M44. I'd like a M38 if I see one around.

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver
I've tracked down a local stock for $49, but I have yet to find a gunshop, army surplus, or sporting goods place that was even a single barrel. The stock should be pretty easy, seems a lot of people are getting Arkangel stocks, and selling the wood ones.