Mosin-Nagant hex receiver

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #31  
with the front of the bbl gone, the importer stamp is likely gone too.

deffinately wrong stock for a m39 no pistol grip.

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver
with the front of the bbl gone, the importer stamp is likely gone too.

deffinately wrong stock for a m39 no pistol grip.

While I agree in principle, roughly 10,000 of the first M39's where constructed on the classic stock pattern according the the website I linked way back.

It amazes me how much detail can be found on a fire arm made during a desperate fight for survival. I mean, in 1942, the offensive had stalled into the world's deadliest siege at Leningrad/Pedrograd/St Petersburg. I'm sure this was about when Mannerhiem started doubting his invasion of the USSR

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #33  
10k out of how many? :) ( lots n lots )

Not to mention during refurb, it was common or at least possible to get a different stock.. wartime stock.. etc.

Ok, here's some more detailed pictures. The one is my drawing of barrel symbols, numbers, ect. I know the B means Belgium, the D means it fires 7.62x54r vs 7.62x53r, and the serial numbers match on barrel, receiver and bolt handle.

ForumRunner_20150929_121340.png

The receiver has only 3 or so markings. The left top side has the matching serial number to barrel and bolt. The middle front has what appears to be an intentionally removed or very lightly stamped "tree" or leaf symbol? With a "1" or "I" below it. Above the "tree" it looks like there could have been something more, but can't tell. The right top of the receiver has a stylized "YT" or perhaps backward 4T, or likely a Cyrillic letter I don't know and can't make with my phone key pad.

ForumRunner_20150929_121327.png

The 3rd picture is what's left of where the rear sight is suppose to be.

Any where else I should look for numbers, symbols, ect?

I've got a friend with a wood M91/30 stock he's willing to give me, and I'm watching a $58 28" 1942 Mosin Barrel (I assume from an M91/30) on ebay. Now, if I can have a shooter for $58 and some hand work I'm all for it; but I'm concerned about getting the old barrel off (watched some YouTube vids) and not sure about head spacing concerns.

By the way, thanks everyone who has commented; this isn't the most important thing in the world, by far; and I appreciate the help.

ForumRunner_20150929_121435.png

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #35  
... Not to mention during refurb, it was common or at least possible to get a different stock.. wartime stock.. etc.

At last, someone said it. :thumbsup:

And 'old-mil' collectors come to expect it. ("Parts is parts.") ;)

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #36  
Hello,

OK, you've got the SA stamp -- that's the Finnish armory stamp so that's good and cool.

Can you tell us what the magazine looks like? Here's a pic of the differences:

smith-sights%20no-jam%20difference.jpg

It could have been swapped out as the Finnish HV mags are worth some money, but it'd be a clue.

Those barrel markings look a heck of a lot like a Finnish M91, shown here:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/0144.jpg

The Finnish M91 was still in production in 1942.

Regards,

Josh

Interesting Josh, I didn't know the Finns made a "proper" M91. I'll take a look at the magazine this evening when I get home.

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #38  
Good post with pictures

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #39  
Interesting Josh, I didn't know the Finns made a "proper" M91. I'll take a look at the magazine this evening when I get home.

Good post with pictures

Thanks Soundguy.

Paul, the Finns started with the M91. They relined the barrels after they wore out, and these became the P-Series. Around the same time, the Civil Guard was replacing barrels with heavier barrels, creating the M24.

This led to further improvements with the M27, M28, and M28/30, and all these improvements are seen in the M39 as a standardized weapon. Of course, they couldn't produce the specialized rifles fast enough, having only around 12 years in which to do it, so the M91 did remain a standard issue weapon, from what I can find.

Most of this is available on 7.62x54.net. I'm not much of an historian; I really like the mechanics of the Mosin-Nagant, and though I own other rifles, the Mosin is my go-to for critters and such when my pistol isn't enough and the .22 would be inappropriate.

Regards,

Josh

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #40  

I had a link to this in my email this evening. I thought it relevant:

outdoorhub-n-amazing-world-war-two-pictures-from-the-finnish-wartime-photograph-archive-2015-09-29_15-47-21-800x567.jpg

Finnish soldiers near Taipale. The two men in the foreground appear to have older Mosin-Nagant rifles, judging by their front sight blades. Date taken: June 22, 1944.

From 31 Unique World War Two Pictures from the Finnish Wartime Photograph Archive - OutdoorHub .

Those are either M91, P-series, or M24 rifles on the front lines.

Regards,

Josh