Most useful implements?

/ Most useful implements? #21  
With a small weak loader on my tractor the bucket is handy, but it's cheesy and smily (bent bottom, haven't gotten to fixing that) and if I had to guess it holds about a wheelbarrows worth of gravel at around 40" wide and doesn't lean back very far (bad geometry and level lift linkages with loose holes) so I do use it a lot, but it's not heavy duty enough and the valves leak so it doesn't hold so it is limiting. My 3 point on the other hand holds and can lift 2000lb... I frequent auctions and before the covids you could get cheap attachments here and there so I have an assortment... I have a dirt scoop, box blade, pallet forks, 5' brush hog, 5' finish mower, 6' disc (needs attention before I use it), sickle bar mower (needs work still), spring tooth harrow (drag), chain harrow, 5 tooth ripper (too much for my tractor, but I can get a few inches down without issue) and probably more I'm forgetting. My most used are the brush hog and lately the loader but I've had around 60 yards of gravel delivered in the last few months... the box scraper is handy at times but I'm limited by traction for that guy, same with the ripper. In a couple years I hope to disc my whole place and flatten things out more with harrows and probably with gauge wheels added to the scraper.

I also happened upon a better loader for like $150 at an auction so at some point I'll make that fit once I get my shop done, it doesn't have level lift so the bucket travel should be better, and it's tractor width and has a flat blade! That'll be a serious fabrication project making a proper loader frame that ties the loader to the whole tractor instead of just to the transmission to front end, it'll be nice being solid instead of the mess of a loader that came with the tractor...

/ Most useful implements? #22  
I have a lot of trees to keep up with, I am begining to become pretty particular about my sod, I will eventually have a little grading to do here and there, I have some irrigation to install and keep up with, and I move a lot of heavy items around by myself. I make creative use of trailer, dollies, hand trucks, truck bed, etc. I also have several projects where I will need to set fence posts. I would suspect for the next 5 years or so I'll be leveling and top dressing the lawn with a sand/OM blend.

That's just a back story on the types of things I'll be doing. No farm, cows to give hay, etc.

I'm just curious what 3 PH implements you all find the most useful. Even my particular needs aside.

I plan to get a box scraper, landscaping rake, subsoiler (to pull pipe with), forks, dirt scoop, and a boom pole eventually. Keeping my eye out for things used until I have a real NEED for a particular piece. At which point I would maybe buy new.

I will need to rent a sod cutter occasionally. I wonder if there is a 3ph sod cutter attachment? I haven't found any.

I also may rent a post hole digger. I have a 2 stroke gas one but tractor driven would be easy!

What have you guys found REALLY useful? Especially something you might not think about.[/QUOTE]

I believe your proposed list of implements pretty much will cover what you plan to do.
Build a carry all box to go on your pallet forks, with some planning and designing, you can have removal sides.
Also get some type of trailer mover to use with an existing trailer. Load longer tree waste onto the trailer and haul to the street—saves your yard from drag marks.
Subsoilers typically do not leave an open trench if you plan to run ridge pipes use a middle buster (potato plow), if doing direct burial wiring or flexible pipe the subsoiler should work with a larger diameter conduit 90 strapped to it.
BoxBlades do great at moving material from one area to another and filling in low spots along the way. If planning to smoothly level large areas, consider a land plane.
A dirt scoop is a great item when you do not have an FEL! Get one that can be mounted both forward and reversed. Pulling forward with practice you can dig out material quite well. Mounted reverse direction, you can back into piles of material and move it to other areas.
FEL’s are great and I love mine, but to find a used one for an existing machine is a slow process. You must find one that size matches the size of your machine, then you must design mounts for it to fit on your tractor, not to mention dealing with hydraulic supply. And they can damage the front axle in many tractors. And adding a new one to an existing tractor is often price prohibitive.

/ Most useful implements? #23  
Sounds like you have a fairly extensive knowledge of the projects you want to tackle. Perhaps add a rear blade. For leveling smoothing - I have a land plane grading scraper( LPGS ). However - I use my home made "drag" just as frequently. I'll attach a pic of this drag. FWIW - the drag cost basically zip. The LPGS cost $1800.

Now that you seem to be fairly well set - I would suggest. Don't just go out and buy on a whim. Let the project develop and gain maturity. In most cases - after you have had time to really dwell on a new project - any needed new implement will become obvious.

View attachment 678058 This drag is attached to either my ATV or tractor with a rope yoke. Normally - I will have 400 to 600 extra pounds piled on top of the drag if pulled with the tractor.

/ Most useful implements? #24  
My Deere dealer I went to HS with the owner who said most people buy an attachment for a project, use it once then it sits.
So you really have to think before buying some attachments.

/ Most useful implements? #25  
IMO "most useful" means whatever saves the most manual labor or exertion...without a loader the the 3ph is your only option (other than something that could run off a front PTO like a snow blower or MMM etc...)

I would look for a set of 3ph pallet forks that allow for width adjustment...then I would add some rear hydraulics and fashion a (removable) thumb grapple to work with the forks...I suggest a minimum of three rear hydraulic remotes to allow for top and tilt links and the third for said thumb grapple...

Adding rear hydraulic would make the most of the 3ph in lieu of a loader...

/ Most useful implements? #26  
Frontier 2120 20' finishing mower. Now that I have it don't know how I did without it.

/ Most useful implements? #27  
Frontier 2120 20' finishing mower. Now that I have it don't know how I did without it.

You must be mowing some serious acreage to need a 20' mower.

/ Most useful implements? #28  
5 acres. It was taking me 2 hours to cut with an old 8' mower. I can cut it in 45 minutes now.

/ Most useful implements? #29  
You do not "NEED" a FEL for a one acre lot. At least based on your list of jobs. Nice to have but not $4000 nice IMHO. The rear scoop will cost about $500 and be slower but get the job done. I have 20 acres and the FEL is one of my least used attachments.

I would add a hydraulic top link just for the ease of operation and convenience if the install is within your skill set. But it is not necessary. You will know after using your tractor a few months.

I used the cheap ($150) TSC carry all to move pallets with my old JB 855 until I got a tractor and SSQA for front forks. The carry all is a bargain and I still have it.

For some projects, buying an implement is not a wise investment. This can be especially true if you have limited space to store crap. Renting or having a contractor do the work is more cost effective in my experience.

Depending on the tires, your tractor may not be ideal for cutting grass if you are particular about your lawn. A decent rider like the Husqvarna ($2000) will cut an acre in less than an hour and a residential zero turn ($3000) will do it in 30 minutes. When I was younger I cut that much with a self-propelled mower but I could not afford anything else. A good chore for kids if you have them and gets them off the **** smart phones/computers...LOL

Weigh advice from guys who own a lot more acreage vs your needs and budget.

Last edited:
   / Most useful implements? #30  
IMO...unless you are talking about actual farming (plowing, seeding, cultivating etc...) or mowing, haying etc...the amount of acreage one has...has nothing to do with what constitutes what is USEFUL...especially when it comes to having a loader...
...even if you only have a 1/2 acre lot with a small kitchen garden...if you use a wheelbarrow...a loader can be a godsend...
I see 3ph dirt scoops on CL all the time for $200 or less...