Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower?

/ Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower? #1  

harleyguy302

Tractor
Kubota BX24
Here's the story, when I originally bought my bx I had planned on buying a mower deck for it when my current riding mower died. Well now my mower died so I checked into pricing for the mower/bagger for the bx and it's in the ballpark of $4000. So now I am thinking maybe I should buy a zero turn mower instead. It would probably save me a lot of time as well. I just hate to have two pieces of equipment to maintain. Anyone had this issue?? Oh yeah I'll be mowing around 2 acres with a fair amount of trees.

/ Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower? #2  
depending on your fabrication skills I was abel to adapt a mower deck from a bx22 to fit my bx24. It works well(second season) and I only paid $800.00 from craigs list. if i find my link i will post it

/ Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower? #4  
I'll be mowing around 2 acres with a fair amount of trees."

I think a zero turn would be alot faster than either a rider or a MMM. When I see them mowing industrial parks and the like, they really zip around. 2 acres every week or two is a lot of seat time. Any chance of renting one to see if it would be the tool of preference? (In the best of all worlds, the dealer will deliver a unit to try out!)

/ Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower? #5  
I just went through the same decision process. In the end I decided to buy the ZTR instead of the MMM. I was concerned about the weight of the tractor in the Spring when the lawn is soft, and the extra trimming required. The ZTR is MUCH faster and leaves almost no trimming.

Part of the cost of the ZTR is covered by the savings of foregoing the MMM.

/ Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower? #6  
I went through same thing...I got rid of deck from the Massey GC2310 I had at the time (just used deck once) and a couple years later bought a ZTR. I'd rather dedicate the tractor to other uses. I have a couple acres of lawn with a lot of trees and a small woods...mowing isn't even a chore with the ZTR. It's amazing how quick it is compared to the way I used to mow. If it wasn't for a ditch along road I wouldn't even need trim mower..just a weed whip and ZTR.

/ Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower? #7  
I'll vote for the ZTR also. I switched last spring and never looked back. I was mowing 4 arces with a 6' 3-pt and trim with a rider. Love the ZTR.

/ Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower? #8  
I've owned and used both. My Zmower runs circles around a tractor with MMM. I'm mowing about 15ac and I've had my son on the Z and me on the tractor/mmm at the same time, and I feel bad at the end because my son ends up mowing most of the land. the only value i see with a tractor is if you have a cab and when it's "very" hot can mow in a/c, other than that i'd get a Zmower...it does one thing and one thing very well...mow.

/ Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower? #9  
Here's the story, when I originally bought my bx I had planned on buying a mower deck for it when my current riding mower died. Well now my mower died so I checked into pricing for the mower/bagger for the bx and it's in the ballpark of $4000. So now I am thinking maybe I should buy a zero turn mower instead. It would probably save me a lot of time as well. I just hate to have two pieces of equipment to maintain. Anyone had this issue?? Oh yeah I'll be mowing around 2 acres with a fair amount of trees.

If it were me,I would buy a 60 inch flail mower for your BX 24
from Ken Sweet preferably for half the money as he is site sponsor. or buy a 60 inch Caroni Flail Mower from Agri Supply - Farm Supplies, Tools, Lawn Mower Blades, Cast Iron Cookware rather than buy a szero turn mower.

/ Mow with my bx24 or buy a zero turn mower? #10  
you only have 2 acres to mow you said. Are the trees random/close together or far apart in some sort of a line? they have 48 inch deck you know that might work instead. I prefer a 60 inch on 2 acres, saves time. If there are many trees, then I would say grass doesnt grow well so it wont be growing like crazy.

I would just cut down a few trees and dig out stumps to make it easier with MMM on BX (which you already have:thumbsup: :D I too hate to maintain another machine- it just makes the yearly maintaince expensive. changing oil costs just doubles and on 2 acres it really doesnt make sense IMHO.