Mt 240he hydro cavitation?

/ Mt 240he hydro cavitation? #1  

ZetorSteve

Silver Member
Tractor
Zetor 5211
Hi everyone! Long time lurker but decided to join because I need some help. My mt240 has a short cavitation/aeration noise coming from the hydro unit/ hydraulic pump every cold start. Tractor sits overnight and the first start it sounds like the pumps lost it's prime. You can hear the fluid being sucked to the hydraulic pump and then the hydro unit will wine loudly for about 2 seconds.

Is there a common problem associated with this?

I will post a video tomorrow after it sits overnight, pics and videos are always 1000 times better than words.

/ Mt 240he hydro cavitation? #2  
I have about 120 hrs on mine and it's a year old the 19th. I have not experienced what you described. A video will really be helpful.

Is the hydraulic fluid at the proper level?
Has it always done this?
Are you the original owner?
How many hours on it?
Any fluids or filters replaced since you have owned it?

/ Mt 240he hydro cavitation? #3  
Mine has a loud "cry/whine" it lasts for maybe 8 seconds or so when I start it. I asked the dealer about it, they said it was normal (of course) as the fluid heats up. And it does this whether the outdoor temp is 30 or 90 degrees F. I'll see if I can get a video of it.

Edit, video is uploading, will post link when its done.

/ Mt 240he hydro cavitation? #4  
Is this the same noise? Anyone agree this is normal?

The hydraulic fluid level has been checked, it made the same sound with the factory filters when delivered and continues after the 50hr service with a new OEM set of filters, now at 170ish hours, it has always done this.

Video

Last edited:
   / Mt 240he hydro cavitation?

The hydraulic fluid level has been checked, it made the same sound with the factory filters when delivered and continues after the 50hr service with a new OEM set of filters, now at 170ish hours, it has always done this.

Video

Yes! But not nearly as long. Maybe 2 seconds after start and it's over.

Mine has 127hrs on it. Started about 15hrs ago. Replaced all the filters at 50hrs and topped the hydraulic oil with shell J20C oil.
These are all factory LS filters too. I am the original owner. When it first started doing it the level was on the min mark. Topped it to the full and it seemed to stop for a few days. Came back a few days after it was topped.

/ Mt 240he hydro cavitation? #6  

Video
Whoa! Mine has never made that sound!
I think it may be due for a trip to the dealer for warranty coverage.

Only easy things I can think to check are,

Remote valve is not in a detent position?
Is the 3pt lift all the way up? maybe try moving it down an inch.
If you engage the PTO does it change pitch or stop it immediately?

/ Mt 240he hydro cavitation? #7  
Yes! But not nearly as long. Maybe 2 seconds after start and it's over.

Mine has 127hrs on it. Started about 15hrs ago. Replaced all the filters at 50hrs and topped the hydraulic oil with shell J20C oil.
These are all factory LS filters too. I am the original owner. When it first started doing it the level was on the min mark. Topped it to the full and it seemed to stop for a few days. Came back a few days after it was topped.
I haven't replaced the hydro filter (driver side) on mine yet since the manual doesn't call for it until 300 hrs but I have been topping the hydraulic fluid off with the same Shell Rotella HD Tractor Transmission & Hydraulic Fluid.

EDIT: Well crap! I opened the manual and looked again to confirm the hydro filter and I was looking at the Mech drive chart and not the HST drive chart. I need to change my Hydro filter ASAP!

EDIT2: I see another contributor to my missed maintenance, the "First 50 hour check" page doesn't list hydro filter either as part of the maintenance.

Last edited:
   / Mt 240he hydro cavitation? #8  
My old Boomer 40, XR3140, used to make that sound on start up. Lasted just a few seconds.

To me it sounded like it was in the steering/hydro circuit but I never had an issue because of the noise. Fluid and filter change had no effect for mine.

/ Mt 240he hydro cavitation? #10  
from the dealer based on the video and a few questions (hyd fluid level, filters, etc)
LS service department will determine whether the HST will be replaced. We will have to test pressures before they will approve ordering parts.