MX5400 Aux Lights

/ MX5400 Aux Lights #1  

clenhart

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
I recently convinced my Son that He needed his own Kubota :) so He found a lightly used 2020 MX5400 ROPS w/Standard transmission. He had been spoiled to the auxillary lighting on my L3400 and requested the same for his… I have been using some LED lights from Northern Tool in various applications with great results and have yet to have a failure. These are Ironton LED lights available in a 2-pk from Northern Tool. They run them on sale quite often for $19.95 for the pair (Reg price is only $27.99). They are 1050 lumen and have a very wide flood pattern and are excellent for work light use. They have stainless mounting hardware and a cast body.

Due to the low current draw I was able to make use of the existing 15A work light circuit on the MX5400 and power both Front and Rear lights thru 2 SPST switches with no need for relays. Lights were mounted to the angle iron frame of the canopy and are very solid. Total cost for Lights, switches and waterproof switch covers was less than $60. I had all the necessary wire and flex-loom.

Thought I would share as a low-cost option for anyone else thinking about adding lights to their tractor.

Attachments

• MX5400 Lights_1.jpg
    MX5400 Lights_1.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 154
  • MX5400 Lights_2.jpg
    MX5400 Lights_2.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 160
  • MX5400 Lights_3.jpg
    MX5400 Lights_3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
  • MX5400 Lights_4.jpg
    MX5400 Lights_4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
   / MX5400 Aux Lights #3  
I recently convinced my Son that He needed his own Kubota :) so He found a lightly used 2020 MX5400 ROPS w/Standard transmission. He had been spoiled to the auxillary lighting on my L3400 and requested the same for his… I have been using some LED lights from Northern Tool in various applications with great results and have yet to have a failure. These are Ironton LED lights available in a 2-pk from Northern Tool. They run them on sale quite often for $19.95 for the pair (Reg price is only $27.99). They are 1050 lumen and have a very wide flood pattern and are excellent for work light use. They have stainless mounting hardware and a cast body.

Due to the low current draw I was able to make use of the existing 15A work light circuit on the MX5400 and power both Front and Rear lights thru 2 SPST switches with no need for relays. Lights were mounted to the angle iron frame of the canopy and are very solid. Total cost for Lights, switches and waterproof switch covers was less than $60. I had all the necessary wire and flex-loom.

Thought I would share as a low-cost option for anyone else thinking about adding lights to their tractor.

Nicely done!

When I mounted front & rear LED lights on the ROPS of my 2018 MX5800, the work light circuit was only 5 amps. I had to use a switch to use either the 2 front or 2 rear lights but not both. The LED's were 2 amps each and all 4 would blow the 5 amp fuse.

It's nice to see Kubota increased that utility light circuit from 5 to 15 amps on newer models.

/ MX5400 Aux Lights
Nicely done!

When I mounted front & rear LED lights on the ROPS of my 2018 MX5800, the work light circuit was only 5 amps. I had to use a switch to use either the 2 front or 2 rear lights but not both. The LED's were 2 amps each and all 4 would blow the 5 amp fuse.

It's nice to see Kubota increased that utility light circuit from 5 to 15 amps on newer models.
It is nice that they upped the capacity. I also had to use relays on my L3400 but I originally used halogen lights as LED's were significantly more costly then. I have since upgraded to the same LED's I used here and have been very happy with the results...

/ MX5400 Aux Lights #5  
OP: just asking, why all the necessary aux lights? PM tractor work, or joy riding at midnight? spot lighting?

Last edited:
   / MX5400 Aux Lights
OP: just asking, why all the necessary aux lights? PM tractor work, or joy riding at midnight? spot lighting?
Lots of after dark work as I still have a full time job away from the house... :)

/ MX5400 Aux Lights #7  
Lots of after dark work as I still have a full time job away from the house... :)
absolutely, i'm retired & spoiled, best regards to you & son

Last edited:
   / MX5400 Aux Lights #8  
The FEL bucket and FEL plow effectively block the light from the OEM Kubota headlights. ROPS lights are a necessity when using these implements at night.

/ MX5400 Aux Lights #9  
Great work, as said above with fel the factory headlights are useless. And lighting in your work area and 3 point are a major plus as well. I've got the for my L-5040 but sliding it in to the projects around the place are coming soon. Good job

/ MX5400 Aux Lights #10  

Nice set up and VERY cost effective.

Do your knees bump the switches?

SDT