$ My differential lock stopped working $

/ $ My differential lock stopped working $ #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I've never liked the way that it engaged as it never really stayed in the way that it should... probably because of that tiny lever that is hard to keep a boot on. I bought the replacement spring which somebody suggested this spring, but haven't installed it yet. Today I was out filling in a ditch and the darned thing just stopped working. Looking at a youtube video it looks like an expensive fix... most likely requiring a whole new set of gears.

Just a warning to Kubota owners who are having a hard time locking the rear in; don't just ignore it or try to work around it. Someplace there is thread on buying a replacement spring which isn't quite as strong and allows you to lock it in easier.

/ $ My differential lock stopped working $ #2  
Not familiar with your tractor. Make sure the pedal is fully engaging the locker? Maybe an adjustment? Or unhook the pedal and see if you can lock it by moving the shaft by hand?

Very rare for gear failure.

/ $ My differential lock stopped working $ #3  
Not familiar with your tractor. Make sure the pedal is fully engaging the locker? Maybe an adjustment? Or unhook the pedal and see if you can lock it by moving the shaft by hand?

Very rare for gear failure.

I'm with Richard.

Usually the diff locks fail because it does engage fully and the operator will try to turn the tractor left or right, putting too much stress on the diff till something gives.

/ $ My differential lock stopped working $ #4  
The manufacturer wants it to disengage as soon as possible. That's why they use such a stout return spring.

Hoping for a simple solution. As in the pedal mechanism is bent or out of adjustment and not fully engaging the locker.

/ $ My differential lock stopped working $ #5  
I have a small Kubota that has NEVER had the diff lock abused, one day it stopped working.

Next tranny oil change, I found chunks of metal in the oil as it drained!

That's ONE of the reasons why I call it a tinker toy tractor!!

SR

/ $ My differential lock stopped working $ #6  
7800 dif lock repair.jpgI've lost 3 of them on my B7800 and I believe that it is mostly caused by poor design in that there is too much linkage and no adjustment. On the HST tractors the pedal is on the left floor and goes under the floor then across the tractor and then back to the axle housing where it connects to a cog type gear that Kubota calls a clutch. This then slides in to mate up with another cog type gear that is part of the cage that consists of the ring gear and rest of the differential. The cog type gear they call a clutch is softer metal that the differential that it mates with and the ears round off.I will try to attach a photo.
I was really intimidated when I first ran into this but found it wasn't that bad. You do need a WSM,a fairly well equipped shop and some determination.

Last edited:
   / $ My differential lock stopped working $ #8  
View attachment 674444I've lost 3 of them on my B7800 and I believe that it is mostly caused by poor design in that there is too much linkage and no adjustment. On the HST tractors the pedal is on the left floor and goes under the floor then across the tractor and then back to the axle housing where it connects to a cog type gear that Kubota calls a clutch. This then slides in to mate up with another cog type gear that is part of the cage that consists of the ring gear and rest of the differential. The cog type gear they call a clutch is softer metal that the differential that it mates with and the ears round off.I will try to attach a photo.
I was really intimidated when I first ran into this but found it wasn't that bad. You do need a WSM,a fairly well equipped shop and some determination.

Good stuff Jim!!!!

/ $ My differential lock stopped working $
View attachment 674444I've lost 3 of them on my B7800 and I believe that it is mostly caused by poor design in that there is too much linkage and no adjustment. On the HST tractors the pedal is on the left floor and goes under the floor then across the tractor and then back to the axle housing where it connects to a cog type gear that Kubota calls a clutch. This then slides in to mate up with another cog type gear that is part of the cage that consists of the ring gear and rest of the differential. The cog type gear they call a clutch is softer metal that the differential that it mates with and the ears round off.I will try to attach a photo.

On mine the lever goes directly into the housing. The pedal is a poor design, almost impossible to hold down when you need it.
After looking at the parts diagram I can understand why I'm having problems... the lock is just a couple of pins which slide into a thin piece of metal similar to the parking gear on your car. I did manage to get it barely working again, hopefully it will get me through the winter. I don't see me attempting the repair myself, and I may upgrading to something different.