My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,161  
"I bought the stove from Acme Stove and fireplace center in Harrisonburg." Wood Chuck Dad

What could possibly go wrong?

1619454495346.png

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #2,163  
My FIL has dealt with acme for many years. I think I might have bought my wood stove from them, I’ll have to check. It was built by a company in Harrisonburg.

Whew, I’m safe. My wood stove was Not from Acme.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,165  
I had to spray tonight. Sprayer blew a line but I was still able to finish.
Last night I continued working on foaming and sealing sips panels. I have gotten a quote that I am going with for drywall. It breaks my budget pretty bad. But I pushed the numbers around for a while and figured out how to make it work. There was a buffer built in, but I don’t want to blow the buffer. I may yet need that.
I have purchased 2000 feet of 12/2 romex and 500 feet of 12/3 and I have some help coming Saturday to get me started on the wire. Wiring a house is beyond my experience and comfort level. My helper is gonna kick my training wheels out from under me pretty quick.

I posted up a video this morning. Got some Siding done. Also had to fix my tractor. Last Summer in the back field, when I was running the brush hog, I managed to lose a pin that attaches the 3 point hitch to the tractor. I have never lost that before even with all the things we use the tractor for. Somehow, I lost it again.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,166  
Saw your video, I recommend replacing that pin with a bolt and a nylock nut or double nuts.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,168  
Do you have an electrical design? If not lay it out on paper first.
I install all my boxes first. Then I run my 220 lines, then my dedicated 20 amp lines for things like the microwave and other power hogs. There are two ways to power lights, either go hot to the switch, or hot to the light, and then run a line to the switch. I always make the switch hot so it's easy to install or change the light without having to turn the power off at the breaker box. I also like to give each room it's own breaker. It's cheaper and faster to run power to a common wall and have outlets on either side, but it's easier to do stuff in a room if one breaker kills the power to all the outlets in that room. Some people also like to put the lights on a different breaker then the outlets so you can still see if you blow a breaker. There is no advantage to running 12 gauge wire for your lights if they are on their own 15 amp breaker. 14/2 is cheaper and a lot easier to work with. It's cheaper and easier to install all your GFCI outlets right next to the breaker box, and then run your lines to their locations from there. Its common to see a dozen GFCI outlets right next the breaker box in new construction.

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #2,169  
Nice Vid. Can really empathize with the mental fatigue in trying to get the exterior wrapped up. Hard to stay motivated. And breaking a custom cut piece of Hardy on install frickin sucks. Things are looking great though, stay at it.

Shoot, might as well just run 14/2 for lighting circuits nowadays, they are all LED and hardly any watts.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,170  
I install all my boxes first. Then I run my 220 lines, then my dedicated 20 amp lines for things like the microwave and other power hogs. There are two ways to power lights, either go hot to the switch, or hot to the light, and then run a line to the switch. I always make the switch hot so it's easy to install or change the light without having to turn the power off at the breaker box. I also like to give each room it's own breaker. It's cheaper and faster to run power to a common wall and have outlets on either side, but it's easier to do stuff in a room if one breaker kills the power to all the outlets in that room. Some people also like to put the lights on a different breaker then the outlets so you can still see if you blow a breaker. There is no advantage to running 12 gauge wire for your lights if they are on their own 15 amp breaker. It's cheaper and easier to install all your GFCI outlets right next to the breaker box, and then run your lines to their locations from there. Its common to see a dozen GFCI outlets right next the breaker box in new construction.
Another outlet that I like to add is one under the eves with it's own switch in the house. It's nice for Christmas lights.