My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,181  
I used long sweeps on the conduit pipe not the hard 90 degree vent type. I would think I could get the wire thru it. I have one large inlet sweep burried to bring water in. I will have to run the electric thru the wall.

Image 4-30-21 at 9.20 AM.jpg

This is the floor plan. The two “pvc” notations in red show the entry/exit points of the pvc chase from one side to the other. There were a couple changes made in the master bathroom as noted in red. I have a 5x8 mechanical room where the panel and the on demand water heaters and in floor heat system will be. The entry point for water is there as well.

#2,182  
White PVC is tested and rated for higher pressure while grey PVC conduit is not. But the grey conduit is tested and rated for UV exposure, so I think that drives the code requirement.

Well this pipe gets zero UV. It is buried below the slab.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,183  
My question is are you allowed to run a propane line in an enclosed pipe? Propane is heavier than air so if there is a leak it would concentrate in the pipe. I know you can't run natural gas under ground under a building or a footing. Natural gas lines in Alberta have to be located in a way that lets leaks escape to atmosphere.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,184  
Well this pipe gets zero UV. It is buried below the slab.
I understand that, but doubt the code breaks that out. Easier to just require conduit. I agree with the suggestion above to add conduit to the stubbed ends so that's all that's visible so there is no opportunity for questions.

#2,185  
My question is are you allowed to run a propane line in an enclosed pipe? Propane is heavier than air so if there is a leak it would concentrate in the pipe. I know you can't run natural gas under ground under a building or a footing. Natural gas lines in Alberta have to be located in a way that lets leaks escape to atmosphere.

If that is the case, I will just pull an insulated pex line thru and see if that satisfies my needs. Inexperience has bitten me in the backside on this build so many times, I can barely sit down.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,186  
Why couldn't you bury a propane feed outside to the second location?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,188  
Should be good with electric with sweeps

But you never know about inspectors.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,189  
David. Maybe i am thinking wrong, but shouldn't the architect have included a utilities plan and layout ? Don't do something just to get it done...inquire around and see what licensed plumbers would suggest. Should have been a detailed plan of materials list i would think ?

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #2,190  
If that is the case, I will just pull an insulated pex line thru and see if that satisfies my needs. Inexperience has bitten me in the backside on this build so many times, I can barely sit down.
Should have good callouses by now.:)