My solar set a new record yesterday

/ My solar set a new record yesterday #11  
They still generate excess power during the rainy season. Cloudy weather still generates power. Only darkness shuts down the power generation. The systems are of course less effective during cloudy days. But that’s when some is purchased from the power company. Better to buy power sometimes than everyday. We get more cloudy and wintry days than I think most people realize.
How is the water supply doing?

/ My solar set a new record yesterday
What works for you don't necessarily work for everyone. Up here we have more overcast days than sunny ones.

Curious as the what your system cost complete with storage batteries and controllers?
I’m grid tied so no storage. Panels, microinverters and time of use meter. I’m in a 120 MPH wind zone so footings and structure are pretty heavy. If I was just 200 yards further north I would have been out of it. Footings are 24” diameter and 4’ deep. I’m a General Contractor and did the entire install myself so no labor or equipment costs. Total cost was just under $16K before 26% rebate. Call it $12K or $1.60 per watt.

/ My solar set a new record yesterday #13  
Good job! (And great price!)

All the best, Peter

/ My solar set a new record yesterday #14  
How is the water supply doing?
Dry this spring like every spring. In July the monsoon rains come and it greens up again. We get winter snow and summer rain, dry spring and fall. Like for the past 50 years I’m familiar with.

/ My solar set a new record yesterday #15  
My install was more of a finish of an existing project started back in 2008 by the original owner.

6 kW ground array with peak about 4.3

Had hoped for better but that said the old 160W panels continue to produce all I use with a small check each year for excess production but the way that is calculated will be less favorable to me going forward.

Buying the place it was one of my priorities to to expedite commissioning and it does bring a smile to my face being a net producer...

/ My solar set a new record yesterday #16  
Just looked at solar production:
7.5KW Rooftop array, fixed 18 degree (4/12 pitch roof)
20-375 watt panels facing south in near central Minnesota.

For May 1rst-24th avg 33.75 kwh per day, 810kwh so far

For 2020 and 2021 annual total output = 9120kwh per year.
25 kwh per day average.

This is almost exactly what we use for the year.

I like to open the electric bill.

The best part is when I find a light on and say to the one in charge of all things:
"Do you think we get free electricity around here?"
She says "as a matter of fact, yes I do."
R

/ My solar set a new record yesterday #17  
Just looked at solar production:
7.5KW Rooftop array, fixed 18 degree (4/12 pitch roof)
20-375 watt panels facing south in near central Minnesota.

For May 1rst-24th avg 33.75 kwh per day, 810kwh so far

For 2020 and 2021 annual total output = 9120kwh per year.
25 kwh per day average.

This is almost exactly what we use for the year.

I like to open the electric bill.

The best part is when I find a light on and say to the one in charge of all things:
"Do you think we get free electricity around here?"
She says "as a matter of fact, yes I do."
R
So you solar system was free? If so, please tell me where I can get it.

/ My solar set a new record yesterday #18  
If you live in MA it is free. My brother installed a panel system on his roof for $30K. Feds gave him back 30% that year so cost was reduced to $21K. MA pays him $2,100 a year for 10 years which is $21K which equals free. And he pays nothing for his electricity so that saves him $1800 a year, so after the first ten years, his $30K investment completely pays for itself and yields $18K return. So technically solar is not free. It yields a significant profit. I would have done the same but CT is not nearly as generous with solar.

/ My solar set a new record yesterday #19  
Iman:

After applicable rebates and tax credits, (these credits directly
subtract income taxes owed) this system costs outlay is paid for in
less than 4 years.
A utility program pays 7 cents per kw production for the first 10 years,
in addition to the grid-tied production offset, (the meter running "backwards").
The array will produce power for 30 years.

That makes it not only free but a utility bill off the table
every month.

R

/ My solar set a new record yesterday #20  
I confess to checking production several times weekly and the little tweaks I do to help production such as at least one each summer panel rinse in the dry spell and seasonally pulling the pin to adjust array tilt to better match the angle of the sun…

My system components date from 2008 and not efficient compared to higher output newer panels but each year continue to produce a surplus.

The only disappointment is the utility keeps adjusting the buyback price per kW lower.

Soon utility kW will be nearly free but the cost of distribution continues to skyrocket.