Need advice on welding machine purchase

/ Need advice on welding machine purchase #11  
That makes me feel better about the Kemppi.

If it was me and I was set on that brand it would be a tough decision whether or not to upgrade to the 180 EVO if it's priced only 25% higher.

/ Need advice on welding machine purchase
That makes me feel better about the Kemppi.

If it was me and I was set on that brand it would be a tough decision whether or not to upgrade to the 180 EVO if it's priced only 25% higher.

Yeah, I'm looking at both and thinking...
Just thought for me as for beginner Minarc 150 would be enough. I'm afraid if I will not overload 220V input power supply with Minarc EVO 180, which is more powerful than Minarc 150. Although they declare EVO 180 uses technology PFC, which reduces impact into input power supply by 30%.
http://www.tonolini.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/MINARC-EVO-180_en.pdf

Today I've visited dealer who sells Lincoln. Got a proposal on Invertec 170S, assembled in Poland. With some discount (both cables included) they can sell it for $767, exactly the same price like EVO 180 costs.

Anyway, no decision yet.

Last edited:
   / Need advice on welding machine purchase #13  
I am just going to assme this is a DC welding machine since it mentions scratch start tig. I couldnt tell much from the brochure. Anyways, I used a 125amp DC machine for years and made many a project using 1/8in 7018 rods at 105 amps. My machine didnt like 3/16 rods. Kind of wish I had that old machine back. With 1/8 in rods, you probably wont every go over 120 amps. I guess what I am trying to say is the 150amp Kemppi should weld most anything you need to weld as a hobbiest. Unless you really think you will have a need for the extra power of a bigger machine and plan on welding using anything bigger 1/8 rods, I would stick with the 150 amp machine. I will admitt that there where times I wish I had more power, when working with 3/4 and 1 in steel, but for the normal farm equipment and utility trailer builds, I never had a problem with the 125amp machine

/ Need advice on welding machine purchase #14  
With the exception of miniskirts, I've never been partial to anything "mini'.

If funds allow, I'd purchase the EVO180.

Terry

/ Need advice on welding machine purchase
This is an example I'm now working on. I've just obtained a forklift which I'm going to adapt to my tractor. All is good, machine shop guys have welded the supports (according to my drawings) so they would fit the lift arms of a tractor. But the top link bracket on a forklift is a little bit complicated. You need to find a correct point for the top link on a forklift. Tomorrow I'll bring them that bracket already third time to correct, what means I'm wasting my time and money.
If I'd have a welder, I'd do it myself. I guess for this job EVO 180 would be necessary.
Forklift-1.jpg Forklift-2.jpg Forklift-3.jpg

muddstopper, both welders are using 220 V, 50 Hz of AC power supply.

Big Barn, I love your exception. :thumbsup:

Thank you fellows for the advices if even they are controversial.

/ Need advice on welding machine purchase #16  
I would buy either Lincoln or miller

/ Need advice on welding machine purchase #17  
I would buy either Lincoln or miller
Keep in mind the OP is in Europe. If we had a better sales/service network in N America I'd consider trying the Kemppi.

Terry

/ Need advice on welding machine purchase #18  
I'd say it sounds like DC welding output with AC power supply. 105 amps is too low for 1/8" 7018. Maybe for vertical up but generally they run best around 130 amps. Of course a 150 amp machine won't like 3/16", your jumping right past 5/32" which is border line for 7018 at 150 amps.

/ Need advice on welding machine purchase #19  
I know all the charts say 105 amps is to low for 1/8 7018, but that old Lincoln ac/dc machine would start producing undercuts at 110-115 amps and would turn the rod cherry red at 125 amps. May have been because it was plugged into a 60amp service, other than that I cant explain it.

/ Need advice on welding machine purchase #20  
I know all the charts say 105 amps is to low for 1/8 7018, but that old Lincoln ac/dc machine would start producing undercuts at 110-115 amps and would turn the rod cherry red at 125 amps. May have been because it was plugged into a 60amp service, other than that I cant explain it.

I'm currently restoring an Idealarc 250/250. Maybe the dial/pointer mechanism was out of adjustment??

image-416772032.jpg

When I reassemble mine I'll probably put in "in the middle" and see how it goes.

Terry