Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735

/ Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735 #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Our lawn cutter is an Ariens Zoom 54XL zero turn, purchase in 2015. The motor is a Kohler KT735. Been a reliable machine, except for a persistant oil leak from the head gaskets that I have never quite fully tamed.

During the last mowing session, the wife hit something, most likely a rock. She said the engine ran rough right after. She motored back to the shed and turned it off. I tested an hour later, started up okay, ran smoothly. I put it away. Today, she went to mow again, mower started and ran normally, but died after about 15 minutes. I checked the oil. Very low. I added oil, started it up, idled and powered up fine; no unusual noises and seemed to be running normally. Few minutes later, died again. And the oil was low again. Added a bit more oil, motor doesn't want to start, but will catch briefly at low rpm for a few seconds, blows fairly blue smoke and dies.

I have to assume a catastrophic internal failure, and the oil is going somewhere, either out the exhaust or somewhere onto the ground.

The shop I previously used for a mower engine repair has changed hands, don't know the new folks. I'm asking around on social media for recommendations for small engine repair shops. We'll see where that goes.

In the meantime, I'm also just considering a drop-in replacement for the Kohler. The mower is a good machine, has upraded transaxles, welded deck, and is in great shape, so it's worth repowering or repairing the motor. If Harbor Freight still sold the Predator vertical v-twin, I'd probably already be on the way to the store. But they don't seem to have them anymore.

Any comments on repair issues, or recommended potential replacement motors, would love to read 'em.

/ Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735 #2  
I have 2 Kohler 18HP Magnum in Cub Cadet Garden tractor and the 25HP Kawasaki on my Ferris ZT and much prefer the Kawasaki.

The Kohler will run you $2200 range, and the commercial Kawasaki about the same Kawasaki Vertical Engine FX751V-FS00-S | Kawasaki Engine Store

IF you can rebuild yours that's the least cost, but if you need to pay to rebuild at $80-100/hour its probably better to drop in a brand new engine.

/ Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735
Small engine guy came by yesterday AM, diagnosed the damage as a bent crankshaft and unknown amounts of internal damage. He had a very dim view of rebuilding (or repowering) with the same Kohler, says he's not a fan of their motors. Apprarently, leaking head gaskets is fairly common among Kohlers V-twin motors.

He also felt I could sell the Ariens as is, and it would be reasonable to start the asking at $1500, given that it is in excellent shape and has prosumer featuers (ZT-2800 transaxles, 10 gauge reinforced deck). That was his recommendation: Sell it and start over.

Problem is, to get the same level of parts quality I've got on the Ariens, I'm probably looking at $5000 or more for a new machine. For a machine that gets about 1 hour a week, about 30 weeks a year. That's hard to justify. One motivation would be to get a machine that has some sort of suspension, either seat or front casters; our terrain is bumpy and the ride quality sucks. I could put a suspension seat on the Ariens for a couple hundred bucks to solve this.

I can get a new Kohler Courage 24hp via ebay for about $1300. Most likely a drop in replacement that would take me a few hours to install.

I can get a better, new Briggs & Stratton 23hp commercial series for about $1000. Mostly a drop in replacement (same crankshaft dimensions), but will probably have to modify the muffler or buy a muffler for the new motor, plus may have some minor wiring challenges.

A Kawasaki would add another $600 or so to the purchase over the Briggs, but they have a different crankshaft size (both diameter and length), and that invites issues with the pulleys and electric clutch; I like their motors, but there's a limit to how much time I would be willing to spend on the repower work.

Also, I'm contemplating putting this off until mower sales season starts. Another 30 to 60 days? I can cut the grass with my brushcutter, although the wife will object to the rough cut. Or I can borrow a machine from a neighbor. Or go on craigslist or facebook and find a nearly used up rider for a few hundred bucks, that will cut a few more times in it's life. Hell, I could even do it with a cheapie push mower, if I had to.

Interested in any thoughts on this decision, particularly if you've repowered a zero turn.

/ Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735 #4  
Small engine guy came by yesterday AM, diagnosed the damage as a bent crankshaft
Hard to imagine how a crank shaft would get bent on a zero turn.

Does this repair guy just happen to sell mowers ?

If it were me, I'd go with the Briggs & Stratton.

Richard

/ Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735 #5  
I agree with Richard not sure how you would bend the crank on zero turn. Another question, how would bent crank cause oil consumption? If it ran good with no vibration would be another indicator crank is not bent.

Did you check compression or look at the spark plugs? They should provide information on which cylinder is using oil.

Agree briggs is probably better choice if it fits and wiring isn’t to different.

/ Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735
Recall this started with my wife hitting something, mostly likely a large rock. She probably hit the crankshaft itself. We had fiber installed on our street early this year, and discovered the trenchwork unearthed a lot of rocks, which can be hidden in the grass. We've already agreed the bush hog will be used to mow at the street from now on.

We started the mower, which will now only idle roughly for a few seconds, puffing blue smoke. The crank was clearly wobbling. The guy pointed it out, and I saw it with my own eyes. He's opinion was it was able to run normally for a few minutes before the imbalance tore something up inside, which is why it's now consuming large quantities of oil.

The guy doesn't sell mowers. He could have easily talked me into a rebuild and hundreds of dollars in labor for him. Instead, he told me to sell it and buy a new mower (which he doesn't sell). He's just a small-engine side-hustle guy, by all accounts, an honest one.

Two votes for Briggs. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735 #7  
Do not get a Kohler Courage. My wife has one on her ZTR and it's always been an oil burner since new and if the valves get slightly out of adjustment, it don't want to start (turn over). Briggs & Scrap'em or Kowalski for me. Cannot you tell, I follow Taryl's advice... :p

/ Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735 #8  
Given the price delta Briggs to Kawasaki I vote the Briggs as it will last you at least 20-25 years with 30 Hrs/year.

Modifying the existing Kohler muffler or buying a Briggs muffler will set you back a $100 or so, but your under $1200 for a repower.

/ Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735 #9  
My 2 cents that won't cost you a dime is that I would never own any other gas ZTR engine but a Kawasaki. I have 2 of them now plus a new Kubota diesel.

/ Need advice/recommendation on repair/rebuild/replace Kohler KT735 #10  
Having both the Kohler Courage and the Kawasaki (on each of the ZTR's), I can tell you from actual experience the Kawasaki is a better engine, it don't burn oil and it starts easier. On the downside it's a pig on gas. The Kohler (both the same rated power, burns about 2/3rds the gas the Kawasaki does.