Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #21  
Exhibit 1: 4k of trailer, 5-6k of tractor loader & ballast & 1.7k of mower. Weigh Safe hitch says its 1.2-1.5k lbs depending on how I load things. Tows fine even at 75mph down the freeway (I'm usually on back roads or around 65 maybe 70). No WDH.

Exhibit 2: Toy hauler trailer. 12klbs, 1.5k hitch weight & everything properly sorted out according to cat scales (weighed with & without WDH). It tows really twitchy over 65 no matter how I fiddle with the WDH or weights. Not pleasant to tow more than a few hours. Hitch weight is way excessive if you don't have the toy in the back to unload the front.

Blue Ox WDH. Is OK to hitch & unhitch. Never had another WDH to compare it to. Trailer length, surface area & center of balance can be more important than a WDH.
20210601_184806.jpg
20210504_172916.jpg

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #22  
I also use the Equal-i-zer hitch. Once it is set up it is easy. Not sure if it is true, but I was told(by the dealer) that you had to unhook the chain type before backing up, but not with the Equal-i-zer. Does need a little grease in spots to keep it quiet and smooth. Using a 10k Equal-i-zer hitch with a F150 pulling a 20' , 2axle camper, probably 7k loaded. Might not need it, but it does seem to help.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #23  
I know on my F250 there is a sticker or tag specifying the factory hitch limits as far as weight. On mine over 600lbs weight distribution is needed.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #24  
Exhibit 1: 4k of trailer, 5-6k of tractor loader & ballast & 1.7k of mower. Weigh Safe hitch says its 1.2-1.5k lbs depending on how I load things. Tows fine even at 75mph down the freeway (I'm usually on back roads or around 65 maybe 70). No WDH.

Exhibit 2: Toy hauler trailer. 12klbs, 1.5k hitch weight & everything properly sorted out according to cat scales (weighed with & without WDH). It tows really twitchy over 65 no matter how I fiddle with the WDH or weights. Not pleasant to tow more than a few hours. Hitch weight is way excessive if you don't have the toy in the back to unload the front.

Blue Ox WDH. Is OK to hitch & unhitch. Never had another WDH to compare it to. Trailer length, surface area & center of balance can be more important than a WDH.
You may want to get your trailer alignment checked, you may have an axle or both out of place because it shouldn't be twitchy.

Our TH is just over 10k alone, about 12,500 with the ATV's and max is 14K with the Jeep in it. I use the Equal-i-zer WD hitch and it tows fine empty or with either load. I have had speed creep up to 80mph before I knew it and no problem but I typically stay around 65-70mph.

20191120_203714.jpg

Just FYI, This is on the receiver. Now the F350 (which we have) is only rated for 18K but this receiver is the same one used on the F450 so it shows the higher capacity.
20190625_064336.jpg

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #25  
I've had a couple different WDH on horse trailers. Another benefit is that it really improves the ride in the trailer for the horses. My wife rode in the trailer while I tried it with and without WDH, she said it made a big difference because it constantly forces the trailer wheels down on the ground so it damps out the hopping up and down as you go over bumps. Might not matter for what you're hauling but it's nice for horses. It also really improves the handling of the vehicle, even if I wiggle the wheel left and right it's almost impossible to get the trailer fish tailing.

The WDH I have now is a trunion style rather than the round arm style you linked to. Not sure if one is better than the other. I'd repeat an earlier comment to make sure whatever style you get will fit properly on the arms of the tongue on your trailer. I buy all that kind of stuff from etrailer.com, they only carry quality stuff and they'll give you tech support to make sure you order something that will fit.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #26  

Blue Ox WDH. Is OK to hitch & unhitch. Never had another WDH to compare it to. Trailer length, surface area & center of balance can be more important than a WDH.View attachment 758343View attachment 758344
Is that a f150? I am looking at a very similar set up but you have a bit more weight for the tractor. Is that about the limit for that truck? What engine?

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #27  
Ok, I'm a design engineer for *towing company* and I developed the *WD* system so I'm a little bias on weight distribution hitches.

In my opinion round bars and trunnions are fine either or as long as you are looking for just WD. They're "cheap" and they get the load on the front of the tow vehicle. I personally prefer the trunnion just because they clip/pin in easier and remove more weight from the head when not assembled. There are some where the bars pin in place, those are the best setup as I've seen some of the trunnion posts break under high load.

Now, you can add that crappy brake pad passive sway control if wanted to the round bar or trunnion units but it only works to stop sway after it's already started. By then it's too late. This is similar to the Equalizer as the equalizer is just metal grinding against metal to make friction. When towing with one, it grinds and bangs back behind the vehicle, making you cringe any time you turn. Yes you can grease it and make it quieter but greasing removes friction - removing the sway control you are getting it for in the first place.

Active sway control stops sway before it starts.

For my money, If I needed a WD I would by a trunnion. If I needed a WD with an active sway control (and like Curt brand), I would look at the Curt Trutrack. Otherwise there is the Reese strait-line, Andersen No-sway, or Camco Eaz-lift trekker. If you have more money than God, the ProPride.

Then again, if I were towing that much, I would also look at a gooseneck hitch. I've also designed alot of those, some of the highest rated ones in the market.

Also, someone else mentioned that you can't back up with WDs that have chains. I can say after driving with almost all of them in the market and I see that as more of a myth. they function the same going backward as they do going forward. I'm sure doing so could void warranty but I just don't see why that ever became a thing.

Now if anyone has specific questions about WD or different WD systems (or other towing), please feel free to reach out and I should be able to answer your question.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #28  
I have Reese Stediflex and have used it a lot during the last five years. It has done well.
What I like about the hitch:
Truck runs level under load.
I like Reese tapered bars
It does have some sway bar resistance
Seems to handle the load well.
You can back up with unhooking the bars.

What I don't like about the Stediflex
The main head that goes into the receiver on the truck is HEAVY. The Curt looks like a lighter head. As I get older, it gains weight every year.
The sway control does depend upon fiber pads which are not best.

The Reese straight line looks very good, but also very complicated. It seems to need an added angle mount (that looks really heavy). But I have not used it.
The Curt does not seem as complicated. The more complicated, the more difficult to achieve and maintain correct adjustment.
I do like the Curt TruTrak. Both are around the same cost and about $650. I do not know if you can back either the Curt TruTrak or Reese Straight Line will back up attached.

If I had to buy another WD hitch today, I might get the Curt. But i really like the tapered bars of Reese.

This cannot be repeated enough times.
I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER WD HITCH WITHOUT SWAY CONTROL. The addition of sway control may be the most important feature of any WD hitch, yet it only adds about $100 or so the cost.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #29  
I have Reese Stediflex and have used it a lot during the last five years. It has done well.
What I like about the hitch:
Truck runs level under load.
I like Reese tapered bars
It does have some sway bar resistance
Seems to handle the load well.
You can back up with unhooking the bars.

What I don't like about the Stediflex
The main head that goes into the receiver on the truck is HEAVY. The Curt looks like a lighter head. As I get older, it gains weight every year.
The sway control does depend upon fiber pads which are not best.

The Reese straight line looks very good, but also very complicated. It seems to need an added angle mount (that looks really heavy). But I have not used it.
The Curt does not seem as complicated. The more complicated, the more difficult to achieve and maintain correct adjustment.
I do like the Curt TruTrak. Both are around the same cost and about $650. I do not know if you can back either the Curt TruTrak or Reese Straight Line will back up attached.

If I had to buy another WD hitch today, I might get the Curt. But i really like the tapered bars of Reese.

This cannot be repeated enough times.
I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER WD HITCH WITHOUT SWAY CONTROL. The addition of sway control may be the most important feature of any WD hitch, yet it only adds about $100 or so the cost.
The Trutrack can be backed up without unhooking it and I believe the Straight line can as well.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #30  
I have an older Reese 1,000/10,000lb trunnion bar hitch now that I pull our camper with. Our camper weighs right around 9200lbs loaded. I hate our current hitch, it's a lot of white knuckle driving, basically I think it's just worn out. We're done for the season anyway so before we start camping next year this is the hitch I'm going to buy. It has integrated sway control whereas our current hitch has the separate friction sway control bar. This new hitch also has a longer shank so I can get the correct drop because my truck sits up a little higher. The round bar style on this new hitch isn't an issue because as I said my truck sits up a little higher. This hitch is rated at 11,500lbs.

Reese Integrated Sway Control Weight Distribution Kit, 11,500 lbs. Capacity, Shank Included https://a.co/d/7wQ8255