Need input - gravel

/ Need input - gravel #1  

scootr2d

Silver Member
Tractor
Bota
ok I have tractor , have FEL , have enough to be dangerous , :laughing:

Just received 2 tandom spreads of gravel all the way down the driveway 200feet.
Question what is best way to use FEL to ensure I maintain a consistent depth of 2 inches using tractor and FEL ? What position should FEL be in ?
Should I back drag? if so use back of busket or FEL edge ?

Are there any tricks one could employ to ensure 2 inch depth?

Any input would be greatly appreciated .

/ Need input - gravel #2  
Plenty of tricks, but none will ensure a 2" depth. That will come with luck and skill, which you will have some of each when you are finished.

What is the depth of the spread now?

I would start with back dragging and in float. That way you can keep some steering, and not have to use the individual rear brakes as much. But it will likely take several passes, and figuring out what works for you and what doesn't.

Some pics before and after would be great. Enjoy the seat time.

Last edited:
   / Need input - gravel #3  
Best thing is a good dump truck driver. Too late for that so at this point I would use a combination of the FEL in float, a box blade, a grader blade, and a good old rake done by hand.

Chris

/ Need input - gravel #4  
...2 tandom spreads of gravel all the way down the driveway 200feet...
Did they spread it or is it sitting in a couple of piles?

Need to know that first... most gravel drivers know how to spread it and I usually don't have to do anything after they are done.

/ Need input - gravel #5  
This time around just do the best you can with what you have, mainly by backdragging with the FEL.

Next time, get the truck driver to spread it -- he will do a much better job, faster than any tractor can, by just driving with his gate opened properly.

Chris is right that some hand raking may be required, but that is a lot of raking for even a short section of driveway. I would be inclined to do the best I could with the tractor and accept a little imperfection.

/ Need input - gravel #6  
.......Just received 2 tandom spreads of gravel all the way down the driveway 200feet............

I took his comment as being spread along the 200 ft.
Maybe, maybe not.

/ Need input - gravel #7  
I'll be watching this thread for ideas - I'm in the same boat.

I do plan on box-blading the existing driveway and smoothing it out as much as possible before the gravel arrives.

Does anyone use any sort of side barrier to contain the gravel?

/ Need input - gravel #8  
I do plan on box-blading the existing driveway and smoothing it out as much as possible before the gravel arrives.

Good idea. I like to do repairs before new gravel is spread also so the imperfections don't mirror up. I have had real good luck using Loader Buddy when back dragging due to its sharp right angle edge on the back of the bucket.

/ Need input - gravel
Did they spread it or is it sitting in a couple of piles?

Need to know that first... most gravel drivers know how to spread it and I usually don't have to do anything after they are done.

It was a tandom spread 2 loads (opened back gate several inches and drove down Driveway full 200 Feet. Made 2 passes (2 loads)

Driveway prep was done beforehand , now I just need to spread to a consistent depth. I do not have box blade etc.. I have FEL only . Any tricks of the trade would help. when backdraggin (if this is what I should do what position should FEL edge be in ? tipped all the way down? or up and use back of bucket?
Any other ideas (any homemade d Jig that could be Attached on FEL to gauge depth ?

Depth at present varies wildly betweed 2 inches and a 8 inches

/ Need input - gravel #10  
Back dragging would be with the FEL in float, and the bucket tipped down at an angle anywheare from 10 deg to 45 degree. Not at 90 degree (straight down). The angle will depend on how much material you want to move.
If pushing some of the 8" depth to a shallower spot, then maybe 45 degree to 90 degree will then be like a blade, and you will control the bite with the height of the bucket (not floating).

If some is 8" and the least is 2", then the end average depth will be more than 2". May lose some of that by widening out the drive some. But there is no magical formula, just go at it and see what results you get, and go at it some more. The more you do, the more comfortable you will feel with the FEL in your "hands". :D

Only "jig" I know of, is the box blade or a rear blade. But the job can be done with just the FEL bucket.