new barn design help

/ new barn design help #41  
Nice work! Having a concrete floor in place makes construction easier as you have a sturdy floor for ladders, scaffolding or lifts. I put my floor in almost last, and it would have been much easier had I put it in earlier.

/ new barn design help #44  
Pretty much standard practice here. Slab cost me $16,200. All reinforced with deep piers etc

That will definitely slow down the white ants and mice! Looks really nice.

All the best,

Peter

/ new barn design help
My barn has progressed to the stage where sheeting is next. I also plan to put a hoist in the middle bay .

View attachment 720587
Looks awesome! What company? I love that style but save a bit of money doing clear span. I got an updated quote... Holy hell. 55k for the building itself and I can't imagine concrete will be any less than about 11 per sq foot. So I'm going to have to find another company or downsize. I got a quote from cleary as well, 140k installed with concrete floor. For a gd old school wood post pole barn. Nothing fancy. Holy hell.

I am now thinking I'll just do something like 40x30 and then build some loafing shed style covered storage behind it or something as I find deals on lumber or steel. Even for a 40x60 pole building kit it's looking like 45k.

/ new barn design help #46  
It is all bolted together. There are plenty of designs and companies to choose from here and most use Bluescope steel. I used a builder recommended by a friend. (Acacia Sheds and Awnings) It will be vermin proof. The complete kit with controller doors and windows and one ranchslider door and a personal door was around $34,000 + $7,500 to erect + slab. ($16,200) It is engineered to high wind conditions. No snow here.

Short video. It was a bit windy so I didn't go as high as I wanted to.

/ new barn design help
It is all bolted together. There are plenty of designs and companies to choose from here and most use Bluescope steel. I used a builder recommended by a friend. (Acacia Sheds and Awnings) It will be vermin proof. The complete kit with controller doors and windows and one ranchslider door and a personal door was around $34,000 + $7,500 to erect + slab. ($16,200) It is engineered to high wind conditions. No snow here.

Short video. It was a bit windy so I didn't go as high as I wanted to.

dang, if someone gave me those prices, in USD I would tell them to come and do it straight away! I think its funny how the aussies call that an "american style barn"

did not see your location in the first post. I worked for 2 years out by the Queensland/SA corner. Moomba, and got to know the crew at the Innamincka pub quite well. I still cant believe they are actually paving the Strez.

my wind load is 135 mph 217 kph and snow is 55 lb/sqfoot. 260 kg/sqm so we do have some tough conditions at my location on the last foothill below the rocky mountains. wind is blowing about 50 mph or 80 kph today and that's sort of normal. plus 110 f to -30f temps.

/ new barn design help #48  
I hear they have high constant winds in Texas too. We don't get much wind here at all really but they have to design for the worst.
Average wind when we get it is 15 - 25 kph. As seen in the video, we are surrounded by trees and the range to the west protects us a lot.
As for the barn design, I wanted something with a bit of character, not just a everyday shed. Also the high center gives me room for a hoist. ( x mechanic ) I have 3 vehicles to service + my tractor etc.
As far as prices, Take off 1/3 of that to be on par with the US$. We have had a number of price increases with steel but I beat the last one. Never had a frost where I am but it does get pretty hot at times.
I should have mentioned the size. It is 15 meters across the front and 12 meters deep. About 50 ft x 40 ft.

Last edited:
   / new barn design help #49  
Slowly getting there. Builders could only spend a half day today but will be back tomorrow.
There are some pics on my other website blog for those interested. HERE

/ new barn design help #50  
Sure is a clean looking building!!! Your contractor is doing a nice job of keeping everything picked up.