new barn design help

/ new barn design help
huh, never seen it that way. love it. much stiffer wall package than 2x4 on the flat.

i was thinking steel to keep the overall height of the building lower and still keep good interior height for the center bay. also the cost for materials seems not that much different and the steel comes all ready to bolt together.

/ new barn design help #32  
You definitely want to consider the interior finish issues associated with a steel building (I.e. installation/retention of insulation, installation of drywall/OSB/Plywood, running of plumbing and or electrical in walls, etc.).

I’m not sure you’re going to get a great reduction in overall height with steel- I have a 4/12 pitch roof designed for a 65psf snow load-with 14’ walls the peak roof height is around 24-25’. As can be seen from the photo, color selection and siting has a lot to do with how much ‘presence’ the building has.

You certainly won’t go wrong with steel. I do think the permit/inspection process was easier as pole barns are common construction around here.

/ new barn design help
with the 10 ft eave and 60 wide, i have about 18 feet peak height with a 3/12 and 20 with a 4/12 pitch and the center bay max height is about 15. at 12 feet wide in the center bay we still have 12 foot of interior height minimum at 3/12 and 14 at 4/12. with a truss wall height at 14, its 20 feet tall if you put the roof the 40ft way. but it will block a lot more view from the house, as its a wall 60x20 instead of a triangle 60x20 from the house. the 60 foot direction would be 4 feet higher at the peak for wood truss. all approximations.

the wood frame does make interior easier though.

/ new barn design help #35  
Luckily my site will not impact the view from the home ( when we build in a year or two). That was one of the considerations when we did our site planning.

/ new barn design help
yea, i could have paid about the same money for 5 acres raw around here as we did for this one with a nice house, well and septic, which gives me money to build this. its about 1700 feet long and 150 feet wide at the front and 100 feet wide at the back. house about 2/3s back from the road pasture in front and back. back is steeper uphill away from the house and front is a nice gentle incline down to the road from the house.

/ new barn design help #37  
If the barn is going to interfere with your view, have you thought of putting it behind the house, uphill a bit, where you might just level out a pad for it? I know that there is a price for everything, but sometimes it can be done with equipment that you have or can readily get ahold of.

All the best,

Peter

/ new barn design help
it would be quite a bit of grading, and i have flood irrigation in the back, and i would have to build a road around the house. back is slated for greenhouse and orchard space. the front is dryer, there is already a road, and power is closer.

/ new barn design help #39  
Seems reasonable logic to me!

/ new barn design help #40  
My barn has progressed to the stage where sheeting is next. I also plan to put a hoist in the middle bay .

Progress2.jpg