New garage time!

/ New garage time! #1,161  
I ran my barn on 2 or more extension cords for about a year. Boy was I glad to get power.
My shop (two car detached garage) ran that way for a decade plus. Now she has a sub panel, 220v, 110v, propane ceiling hung sealed combustion heat. "I'm somebody now"
watch

/ New garage time!
#1,162  
Finally got around to cutting the plates for the hurricane ties. Drilled them out on my new fancy milling machine. Went through 3/8" no problem with a raggety ass bit i found in the bottom of the drawer. Cut them up and headed up stairs. I really pulled something trying to tighten them down, but got them done on the second floor bottom. Next is measure the distance to the top plate to cut the all-thread. I also need 18 more stainless 1/2" nuts. Kerosene heater had the first floor at 70f and the second at 60f with 40 degree outside temps and whipping wind.

Time for some boozing.

LZNvtW4.jpg

LqX4OAA.jpg

lwTLcvP.jpg

gV41UmS.jpg

1RZaYA5.jpg

CFpZJcs.jpg

/ New garage time!
#1,163  
Work got a bit out of hand for a while, then covid, then more work, time for garage.

Picked up a 100a panel, 250' of 12-2, bunch of outlets and switches. The pre-drilled holes in the joists are sharp, so I needed something to protect wire. Ended up getting 1" PVC couplers, male and female, that were perfect. Got my scissor lift in place, drilled the headers, and started running line. Now I need a lot more of the couplers.

evksXI3.jpg

OznOS55.jpg

Za1Y8GW.jpg

Qs0id5M.jpg

FMmSkwh.jpg

/ New garage time! #1,166  
Whenever I've seen metal studs all wiring was done with armored cable. I don't know what code would be.

/ New garage time!
#1,167  
The hole is 1¼" in diameter, the 1" male/female conduit couplings fit perfect. Went to home depot and picked up 40 sets for about $60. They feel good, i can pull cable and they're secure and strong. The female bit I put on the inside so it extends a bit further into the cavity to prevent the cable from dropping on the inside of the joist. A 1½" box wrench fits perfectly so I can tighten them down real good. For now it's going to be simple, insight lights and outside lights on one 20a circuit, 2 sets of 4 outlets on 2 breakers.

I need some sort of exhaust fan, working in there today it got pretty warm. The scissor lift is a life saver, wiring that stuff up would have sucked on a ladder. I swear the tools I've acquired for this project have paid for themselves multiple times.

/ New garage time! #1,168  
Work got a bit out of hand for a while, then covid, then more work, time for garage.

Picked up a 100a panel, 250' of 12-2, bunch of outlets and switches. The pre-drilled holes in the joists are sharp, so I needed something to protect wire. Ended up getting 1" PVC couplers, male and female, that were perfect. Got my scissor lift in place, drilled the headers, and started running line. Now I need a lot more of the couplers.

evksXI3.jpg

OznOS55.jpg

Za1Y8GW.jpg

Qs0id5M.jpg

FMmSkwh.jpg

I did a similar wiring job in my new pole barn. I ran 10-3 ufb cable from an unused 30 amp circuit in the house, thru a 2” pvc conduit I had burried during the build, to a 100 amp sub panel in the barn. I put in (2) 20 amp circuits for outlets, (2) 15 amp circuits for lighting, and (1) 30 amp outlet for a small welder.

I ran all the wiring in the barn thru 1” and 1/2” PVC. It sure beats running everything out there from extension cords like I did for a few years. I like having all the wire in conduit. I installed (2) 8 ft ground rods to the sub panel and grounded the buildings siding to those as well. I should be good for a lightning strike out there now.
View attachment 743258View attachment 743259

/ New garage time!
#1,169  
The panel now sort of has power. One leg at least. The strange thing about this panel is the neutral and ground bus are the same. Each breaker has a screw for neutral and ground. Last I checked you had to have two distinct. It wasn't a cheap panel either. It has a dedicated 100a main breaker, it's supposed to be used in a house. There's no spot even for a ground.

TH8kGhL.jpg

LXIxgUQ.jpg