New Guy First Tractor

/ New Guy First Tractor #21  
Have you entered bare tractor weights into your spreadsheet for all the tractors you are considering?

Bare tractor weight will allow apples-to-apples comparisons better than any other single specification.

Bare tractor weight is an easy number to research in sales brochures and tractor web sites.

In the compact tractor category it takes a 50% increase in bare tractor weight from one model to another before the operator notices a significant 'real world' increase in tractor capability.

/ New Guy First Tractor
Have you entered bare tractor weights into your spreadsheet for all the tractors you are considering?

Bare tractor weight will allow apples-to-apples comparisons better than any other single specification.

Bare tractor weight is an easy number to research in sales brochures and tractor web sites.

In the compact tractor category it takes a 50% increase in bare tractor weight from one model to another before the operator notices a significant 'real world' increase in tractor capability.

I have those numbers. I have been looking at weight, wheelbase, length and width. Kubota seems to be one of the lighter tractors with Bobcat and Branson being on the heavy side.

/ New Guy First Tractor #23  
3 vs 2 speed hst : Most agree that 2 speed hst transmissions will be worked 90% of the time in low, and just drive to the next task in high. I definitely prefer 3

I don't pay for the name. I pay for a quality tractor, good dealer support, service, and parts availability.

Have fun shopping!

Please post the polls you got those numbers from? I call the 90 percent plain bull 覧覧!

Absolutely no one I know including myself that operates in low 90 percent of the time while working a 2 range HST!
If that was actually the case I would have sold any of them I ever owned after the first days use! I would also venture to say most of my friends would have done so also. In honesty I think my 2 speed has been in low 2 times in the past 4 years. High covers most of my needs but is a bit lacking on the hills. It is however better and more effective to be patient in high range 90% of the time by just using a light foot on the pedal than it is to downshift. Shifting to low range usually only means you can use all of the low range which is going to be slower than using the low end of high range.

This is not to say that all 2 range tractors are created equal and it痴 also not to say all 3 range tractors are great as I have found and experienced some from all camps that just simply don稚 work well overall.

The more I think about those I know who are in low too much and complained before they sold thier tractor and purchased a replacement are now on bigger machines most with 3 ranges and actually ended up shifting more from med to low with almost no use of high range. Note they went to bigger tractors and overall use the same basic gears (1st and 2nd) and the same average speed of travel. I would assume if they had opted for a larger machine also with a 2 range they would be just as happy with it as they are with thier newer 3 range.
There are exceptions to this but most seem to be with bigger properties and more varied usage.

If you pay more for a kubota or JD than an other brand then you have paid for the name along with a false perception of quality! Owning them myself neither brand has shown me better quality than the next, nor have I been disappointed with dealer service by any brand. BUT the 2 that stand out as being superior in quality, defined as not needing the dealership for anything in a given timeframe are that old NH Ford I had years ago and my Kioti.

The quality of all brands of tractors out there today is actually mind blowing.

/ New Guy First Tractor
After looking and looking i decided on the Kioti CX2510H. Looked at it the other day and picked it up today. It has a front end loader and the new R-14 tires. I had them load the rear tires for ballast. I was moving towards the Yanmar 424 but it only has 9.9in of ground clearance. This tractor has 13.4. After discounting the Yanmar i really wanted to lean towards the Kubota 2601 but it lost in most every category. It is 600lb less and a drop from 87cc to 68cc in engine size. Ground clearance was an half an inch less, it did have a 3 speed transmission and mid PTO. Kioti mid PTO is a add on option. Now to learn how to use it. The book is not very well written so i will be asking questions in the Operator section.

/ New Guy First Tractor #25  
Congratulations on your purchase.
Is there any particular reason why you didn't go for the CK2610? - just asking.

/ New Guy First Tractor #26  
Congrats on the new tractor!

/ New Guy First Tractor
Congratulations on your purchase.
Is there any particular reason why you didn't go for the CK2610? - just asking.

I did look at a new one. It was a very nice machine. I sat on it and just was not comfortable, i am only 5'7" and that tractor does not come with tilt steering.
The steering wheel was to far forward pointing almost straight up and was not a good fit. Had it come with tilt, i would have bought it.

/ New Guy First Tractor #28  
After looking and looking i decided on the Kioti CX2510H. Looked at it the other day and picked it up today. It has a front end loader and the new R-14 tires. I had them load the rear tires for ballast. I was moving towards the Yanmar 424 but it only has 9.9in of ground clearance. This tractor has 13.4. After discounting the Yanmar i really wanted to lean towards the Kubota 2601 but it lost in most every category. It is 600lb less and a drop from 87cc to 68cc in engine size. Ground clearance was an half an inch less, it did have a 3 speed transmission and mid PTO. Kioti mid PTO is a add on option. Now to learn how to use it. The book is not very well written so i will be asking questions in the Operator section.

Congrats on your new tractor.

/ New Guy First Tractor #29  

Congrats on your purchase - I no nothing about this model, make sure you give us an update - I think the R-14's are going to be the go to for a lot of us, looking forward to your opinion on those as well.......

Last edited:
   / New Guy First Tractor #30  
Congrats on the new tractor! I don't think you will be disappointed.... they are great workhorses