New Guy First Tractor

/ New Guy First Tractor #1  

sparkyjohn

Tractor
Kioti CX2510
I am looking at buying my first tractor. After studying them all, and creating spread sheets i still don't know. They all have some good and some items missing. I am looking at the 24.9 HP tractors or so they are called. I live on 10 acres, lightly wooded. Mostly flat as its overgrown farm land. Mostly dirt then clay here in the north. I am buying this mostly as a toy. Not worried about how quick i can do something. My use will be to move some dirt to fix low spots, till some small deer food plots, move food such as beets in the winter for the deer, or whatever little task that comes along. It will be a 4x4 with a loader. After studying i have a few questions about how important some things are. It will be a hydro. Is a 3 speed really nice compared to the 2 speed. How important is weight, the Branson's seem to weigh the most. Engine C.I., the Branson 2610 71.7c.i. being the heaviest has one of the smallest engine, the Kioti CK2510 is 100c.i. while the Kubota is 68c.i. or 78c.i. depending on the 2601 or 2610. Will a smaller C.I. motor last as long, seems like it has to work harder. The Yanmar claims to have cast iron trans case, hydro pump case and front axle case, i'm guessing the others have aluminum. The tractor that seems to have most of what i like is the LS with extras i like such as tilt, soft seat with arm rest, good engine, 3 speed, mid PTO but no good dealer close by. The winner there is the Yanmar or Kubota. Since i will likely use it a few hours a year, not sure i should pay extra for the name. Is having the rear tires filled a good idea? Is it true they say always buy one bigger then you think you want? Thanks all.

/ New Guy First Tractor #2  
:welcome: to TBN...enjoy.

Kubota L lower end models 30hp+ should fit your needs and HST handy for loader work,also compare PTO hp among your choices.

/ New Guy First Tractor #3  
:welcome: to TBN...enjoy.

Kubota L lower end models 30hp+ should fit your needs and HST handy for loader work,also compare PTO hp among your choices.

Most any of the MAJOR brands will be good for you.
I have never had a new tractor. Both my 32HP New Holland FEL, and my 48 HP Kubota TLB were purchased used.
If you buy used, and are capable of basic repairs, do not concern yourself with dealer proximity.
If you buy new, you probably would be wise to have a dealer at least within 75 miles.

If buying new, and price is a MAJOR consideration, while holding on to quality as well, you might choose Branson, LS, and Yanmar.
If quality, and resale value are your major considerations, then your choices might be Kubota, and John Deere.

/ New Guy First Tractor #4  
Is it true they say always buy one bigger then you think you want? Thanks all.

I would say yes, less than 10 acres maybe not but at 10 acres you'll like a bigger tractor because it doesn't take half an hour to drive across it and it will do more heavy lifting for you. I only have experience with Kubota so can't really talk about the best brand...but I'm on my fourth Kubota if that says anything. Sounds like you've narrowed it down to the B series with Kubota but I'd take a look at the L, actually pretty similar in cost and if you're making payments you probably wouldn't notice the jump. It gives you 20% more FEL capacity and LARGER TIRES which are really nice when you're not on roads (BX and B series love roads or grass, not so much off road).

/ New Guy First Tractor #5  
I am looking at buying my first tractor. After studying them all, and creating spread sheets i still don't know. They all have some good and some items missing. I am looking at the 24.9 HP tractors or so they are called....

I assume you are limiting your hp shopping because of tier4 emissions concerns? The vast majority of DPF equipped machines are problem free, including my L4060. If your needs do not require more hp, then by all means stay below 25.

3 vs 2 speed hst : Most agree that 2 speed hst transmissions will be worked 90% of the time in low, and just drive to the next task in high. I definitely prefer 3.

Weight is King in tractors. Traction and stability are improved with a properly weighted machine. Filled rears improve stability, and rear ballast for loader work.

I wouldn't agonize over engine displacement. You are not going to wear any of those engines out in your lifetime.

You should examine what actual work you want to accomplish, then spec the tractor to match. For example, do you plan on using a finish mower or brush cutter, and how much time are you willing to spend on cutting? Any specific weight you will need to lift with the loader? Tilling, snow plowing, etc?
Comparison shopping by spec is a good start, but I recommend you start visiting various dealers and try out some machines. Look smaller and larger just to get an idea on what's out there.
Lastly, (and full disclosure I like Kubota)...
I don't pay for the name. I pay for a quality tractor, good dealer support, service, and parts availability.

Have fun shopping!

/ New Guy First Tractor #6  
3 vs 2 speed hst : Most agree that 2 speed hst transmissions will be worked 90% of the time in low, and just drive to the next task in high. I definitely prefer 3.

I think this depends on the tractor and use. On my John Deere 2320 I use it in high 90% of the time and infrequently use low range. I mow and plow snow in high range almost all the time, going to low only for a steep hill.

/ New Guy First Tractor #7  
it's important (especially when you're first starting out) to buy from a dealer that will support and help you make the right choices...not only with the tractor but the implements as well. I've had dealers come to my property to look around and help. you can waste lots of money buying expensive implements to find out you only needed them for one job or one season.

/ New Guy First Tractor #8  
I have a Mahindra emax 22 with two range hst. I run mine in high range most of the time. I use it for putting mulch and rock in and sometimes pulling a box blade.
I have my 45 hp Massey for bigger jobs.

Take a look at Mahindra and Massey if you have a dealer close. I was going to get a sub compact Massey but my wife wanted the Mahindra.
Nothing against Kubota but they are lighter and the loader won稚 move until you get the rpms up. My Mahindra works at idle.
Good luck on your search

/ New Guy First Tractor #9  
Welcome to TBN and good luck on your first tractor purchase. See you're already getting good advice.
Think of the jobs you envision, and read the above responses.

/ New Guy First Tractor #10  
I think this depends on the tractor and use. On my John Deere 2320 I use it in high 90% of the time and infrequently use low range. I mow and plow snow in high range almost all the time, going to low only for a steep hill.

The op did state that his property is flat, so he may be satisfied with 2 ranges. My L4060 is 3 range with a hi/lo for each, which is really nice.