New Guy First Tractor

/ New Guy First Tractor #31  
The cutoff for the expense of pollution control is 26 hp, so if that's your size, there will be lots of options. I have a 15 year old 26 hp machine, and am thinking of going bigger, but the problem I run across is that the tractors that have what I want, are too big for my implements. The biggest tractor I can sensibly trade in for would be the Kubota L3901, which has a loader rated at only 100 pounds more than mine to full height. One thing to think about is if you ever want to run a PTO chipper or chipper-shredder. The 26 hp tractors are limited on that score. I bought a used 5" chipper shredder and it's right at the top of what my tractor can handle. If I were considering a 26 hp Kubota, I'd be definitely looking at the larger one. You might even line the L2501, though for a tractor its size, it really lacks pto power..

/ New Guy First Tractor
Just want to thank everyone for all the good advice. Had my Kioti CX2510 for a few days now and i have been driving it around out back, breaking it in so when warm weather hits, it will be ready to work. It just fits some of the tight corners i have thru the woods so any bigger would have been just a little to much, so i am very happy so far. Driving on snow and ice, i still need the 4x4 even with the new R-14 tires as the loader weight leaves the back tires a little light. Next thing is some suitcase weights. Just need to figure out how much weight i will need.

/ New Guy First Tractor #33  
Enjoyed your post and all the great input from everyone. I'm in a similar market with similar property. I was just eye-balling a Kioti last weekend. They do look pretty nice. Send me your speadsheet! LOL

/ New Guy First Tractor
Enjoyed your post and all the great input from everyone. I'm in a similar market with similar property. I was just eye-balling a Kioti last weekend. They do look pretty nice. Send me your speadsheet! LOL
Sorry i tossed the spreadsheet. I do like my Kioti, good luck. Start a new post and we will help you with filling in the spreadsheet with the important fields.

/ New Guy First Tractor #35  
Next thing is some suitcase weights. Just need to figure out how much weight i will need.
You can get a weight bar and weights or you can get a rear implement. I have a grading scraper that is really heavy, but also kind of Big. The rear blade is lighter and shorter, but wider. They work nicely as weight and even better as implements.

I am surprised that with loaded tires and an empty bucket you feel you need more weight. My B2620 is feels fine without anything back there.

/ New Guy First Tractor
You can get a weight bar and weights or you can get a rear implement. I have a grading scraper that is really heavy, but also kind of Big. The rear blade is lighter and shorter, but wider. They work nicely as weight and even better as implements.

I am surprised that with loaded tires and an empty bucket you feel you need more weight. My B2620 is feels fine without anything back there.
Empty bucket it is fine, i do notice on snow more weight would help but the weights will be for a loaded bucket. I made one out of conctrete, came out to 400lb and is compact so moving around it won't take up any more space.

/ New Guy First Tractor #37  
This thread helped me with my purchase on Saturday of a Massey 1723E. I love it--and am looking for weights like right now. I can't say my dealer 4 hours from me with a good price gave me any training at all--he handed me the manual and asked if I needed help loading it. It was a lot less money but still, some quality training for a first timer would have been very helpful before I scared myself the next day twice in 2 hours.

I plan on reading a lot here--I've been on gun, car, bike and boat forums before, always very helpful.

/ New Guy First Tractor #38  
Grats on your new machine ProfJeff. Shame the dealer didn't take the time to show you the ropes. I'm in a similar situation with a little GC (first tractor) coming next week.
I would love to learn some lessons the easy way - do you mind sharing how you scared yourself? How do you feel about the little GC so far?

/ New Guy First Tractor #39  
take a look at the Yanmar YT 235 Yanmar makes the whole tractor and with a 10 year warranty and its make for your confort! confy seat and the are rest is adjustable so you can adjust it so you hand sits on the bucket control

willy

/ New Guy First Tractor
The Yanmar is nice but has little ground clearance. One thing to remember about the long Yanmar warranty is you must take it to the dealer every year and pay them what ever they want to charge for an inspection/adjustments to maintain the warranty.