New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
For the foundation drain pipe, did you orient the holes on the top of the drain pipe or the bottom? The holes need to be on the bottom. Otherwise no water will get into the pipes until the trench has 4 inches of water in it. That's a point that is not intuitive and a lot of people, even the pros, get wrong.

Obed

The stuff used around here is perforated all the way around, every 1.5" or so along the length. No need to worry about proper orientation.

/ New Home Begins #222  
For shallow trenches, I just use a handful of gravel to act as a paper weight to hold the fabric where I need it. Doesn't take but a few places to hold up the fabric, and there is always gravel right there...

/ New Home Begins
Sill and french drain inspections tomorrow.

Got the collar ties and ridge plates back from being powder coated. Collar ties are 5" x 24" x 1/4" and the ridge plates are 4" x 4" x 10" x 1/4" angle. There are 20 of each and it only cost $185 to have them sandblasted, primed and powder coated. Sweet. :cool:

Before:

IMAG0616.jpg IMAG0617.jpg IMAG0618.jpg

After:

powder coated plates1.jpg powder coated plates2.jpg

/ New Home Begins #224  
I'm interested in following your drain system but I'm confused about the placement of the filter fabric. Would it be like an upside down "L" on top of the pics that you posted?

/ New Home Begins
I'm interested in following your drain system but I'm confused about the placement of the filter fabric. Would it be like an upside down "L" on top of the pics that you posted?

That is exactly the way it is. Here is a pic showing the placement. The upside down "L" as you say keeps the dirt from washing in from the sides and top.

franch drain detail.jpg

/ New Home Begins
It appears to be Catch 22 Tuesday. Concrete guys and basement wall guys prefer (as in not a requirement, but a "best practice") to have the subfloor on first. Then after the floor is on, to come and do the basement slab. However; about 1/2 of the great room floor joists need to be supported by the load bearing stairwell wall which also carries a small beam. The subfloor needs the wall. The wall needs the hunch footing under it. To top that off, the columns need to be embedded in the concrete. So we will have to box/bucket the columns during the slab pour and pour them later around the columns.

So, now I am trying to change the schedule and have the floor done first and have the framers come back after that.

/ New Home Begins
Small rant ... The french drain inspection was scheduled for today between 7:30 and 9:30. I get to the property at 7:10 and see a bright orange failed sticker. He came early. With the rain, I purposefully left the entire trench covered and was planning on exposing the Tees this morning before he got there. So much for a plan.

I exposed them and he will come back tomorrow.

:mur:

/ New Home Begins
Catch 22 may be over. The framer was able to set the beams today with temporary support under them. Concrete guy will prep for basement Thursday afternoon for a slab inspection Friday. More good news. The columns may be in Thursday as well. In that case, they will be in before concrete and no box/bucket around them ... they will be done in one pour.

Keeping fingers crossed.

/ New Home Begins #229  
That is exactly the way it is. Here is a pic showing the placement. The upside down "L" as you say keeps the dirt from washing in from the sides and top.

View attachment 293404

I'm somewhat surprised your architect's detail doesn't have the filter fabric going partially up the foundation wall forming a "Z" shape. A treasure trove of architectural details can be found in a book commonly known as the Ramsey-Sleeper book; though I believe it has a different title now since Ramsay and Sleeper are long dead. I believe the book is published by the AIA (American Institute of Architects). A public library with a decent reference department should have a copy of it.

/ New Home Begins
I'm somewhat surprised your architect's detail doesn't have the filter fabric going partially up the foundation wall forming a "Z" shape. A treasure trove of architectural details can be found in a book commonly known as the Ramsey-Sleeper book; though I believe it has a different title now since Ramsay and Sleeper are long dead. I believe the book is published by the AIA (American Institute of Architects). A public library with a decent reference department should have a copy of it.

Good idea. I have extra fabric and can tuck another layer under this one on top and run it up the wall some.